Any news about 2.01 firmware?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Out in the boonies for nearly a week and I'm wondering if there have been any reports on a 2.01 firmware update? Before I left, several folks had suggested AT&T was already testing it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Out in the boonies for nearly a week and I'm wondering if there have been any reports on a 2.01 firmware update? Before I left, several folks had suggested AT&T was already testing it.

I'll add that it's actually 2.1 and the second beta was just released to developers
  • Reply 2 of 9
    If nothing else i wish they would release a quick fix version that solves the lag and UI delays.

Everything else i can wait until september for ... but the fluidity i always loved on my iPod Touch with 1.1.4 is missing in 2.0 (on iphone 3g too) .... it feels so wrong when things are sluggish on this UI ... its meant to be smooth and seamless ... i'm sure they'll fix it but its stopping me being 100% happy with the iphone (all the other missing features i knew about and accepted ... but the slow performance is just hard to tollerate)
  • Reply 3 of 9
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

I'll add that it's actually 2.1 and the second beta was just released to developers

Ah, that does clear things up for me. I don't know where I got the idea it would be 2.01. so thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Ah, that does clear things up for me. I don't know where I got the idea it would be 2.01. so thanks.

Boy Genius Report website reported that they had seen evidence of an iphone OS 2.0.1 surfing their site from ip addresses near apple and at&t

Nothing official ... just rumour and speculation
  • Reply 5 of 9
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

I suspect 2.1 in sept., set to arrive around the same time as the new Touch harware. That also timed to deliver Apples promised messaging service.

Regretably I'm not convinced this is the rev that will speed everything up. The problem being Mobiles rather unfinished state. I just don't see speed improvements coming when the software is not feature complete! I'd like to be wrong here.

That doesn't eliminate the possibility of a 2.0.1 release real soon that addresses bugs. Simply fixing those might lead to speed improvements. In fact there seems to be several bugs that slow down the version two software. Bug fixes can come at any time but I suspect Apple will simply hold off until they can deliver all the features they have planned for 2.0. Well if the can get all those features working. Time is everything to them right now as they have to keep momentum up when Android hits.

Mostly I'm pretty happy with my 3G. Of course it is my first smart phone. I realize it has problems but frankly Apple is the only cell phone company you can trust to fix them. So I wait.

As a side note I did receive a query from AT&T about my satisfaction with iPhone. For most of their questions I was very positive. However I did tell them to get cracking on the update that is obviously coming.

Dave
  • Reply 6 of 9
    macaloymacaloy Posts: 104member
    As another said, fixing the darn lag I hope is one of their top prioritys in this update. Very annoying and I am hoping it is fixable quite easily but I have no idea. Took me minutes to type a damn text the other night and it was a total of 3 flipping words
  • Reply 7 of 9
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

That doesn't eliminate the possibility of a 2.0.1 release real soon...

I think it does, otherwise they'd be releasing 2.0.1 to beta testers not 2.1.

Sept might be a good guess for time frame. That is when Apple's background process servers (or whatever they call it) will be coming online. I suspect 2.1 will have a number of components in that area that will need to be distributed out.

For those of you having slowness issues just reboot your phone once a day. It is widely speculated that there is a memory leak and a reboot should fix it.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    [QUOTE=bbwi;1288329]I think it does, otherwise they'd be releasing 2.0.1 to beta testers not 2.1.

[\\quote]

While I don't totally disagree with that idea I think it all depends upon how Apple sees 2.1. If it is a major upgrade with considerable feature changes they may want to keep 2.0 around with 0.0.x updates until 2.1 stabilizes. Hopefully rumors of 2.0.1 being tested by AT&T are true.

[quote]

Sept might be a good guess for time frame. That is when Apple's background process servers (or whatever they call it) will be coming online. I suspect 2.1 will have a number of components in that area that will need to be distributed out.

[\\quote]

Actually I had a hard time figuring out what that feature should be called too.

Right now though I believe more is coming than just that feature. Most because of the NDA not being dropped and evrybody knowing about the messaging feature. This the thought that 2.1 will be a major update.

Quote:

For those of you having slowness issues just reboot your phone once a day. It is widely speculated that there is a memory leak and a reboot should fix it.

Agh yes the memory leaks. How about we just say 2.0 is buggy as hell!

Unfortunately one of the apps I use the most (mail) seems to be the worst of the bunch. Mails failures can't all be leaks either if it fails after one document read after a reboot. I look at it this way Apple could make for very happy customers for the next two months if they simply delivered an update tomorrow. It doesn't have to be a major update either it just needs to fix reliability problems in Mail and Safari. This especially when I'm not likely to need all the features in 2.1. Atleast not all those features right away.

Dave
  • Reply 9 of 9
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Baby steps, we've just scratched the surface of a whole new re-evolution of tech here. It's frustrating, for sure, I mean, I'm waiting on a 3G unlock which may be another month away... But I'm liking the 3G iPhone already, it is a nice little upgrade from an iPod Touch. Once I have good unlimited 3G data and GPS, that will be another nice step up.