MacBook: Is my WiFi secure?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
When I click on the AirPort menu, my WiFi network doesn't have a padlock next to it. But when I go in to the Network preference panel, it is listed as using WEP.

So which is it, is it secure or not?

The reason I ask is that having enjoyed a relatively fast internet connection, the connection speed has plummeted recently, and I'm wondering if every man and his dog is jumping on to my unsecured WiFi connection?

Is there anyway of telling who is connected to my WiFi router?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    I suggest you change the security on the airport connection to WPA2 which is way more secure than WEP

I checked mine and it from memory has nevershowed a padlock beside the name in the airport menu bar menu

Also a good idea would be to use a password of at least 13 characters more is better as it adds to the strentgh and makes it harder to krack
  • Reply 2 of 3
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    For even increased security, you can add hardware control. You can create in Airport a list of all computers authorized to be connected to your network by checking their Airport card ID's. OF course, the network password is still required.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

When I click on the AirPort menu, my WiFi network doesn't have a padlock next to it. But when I go in to the Network preference panel, it is listed as using WEP.

So which is it, is it secure or not?

The reason I ask is that having enjoyed a relatively fast internet connection, the connection speed has plummeted recently, and I'm wondering if every man and his dog is jumping on to my unsecured WiFi connection?

Is there anyway of telling who is connected to my WiFi router?

Many thanks!

go 2 the apple store and it will b fixed