My fingers are too big for my iPhone 3G! Any ideas?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Okay I admit I'm a big guy and I could stand to lose a few pounds. But I also have naturally big hands and fingers and I don't think even if I lost weight my fingers are going to get significantly smaller! Most of my fat is stored on my belly not in my fingers!

So I'm a little disappointed with my iPhone 3G so far. I was so looking forward to sending SMS messages with a proper keyboard instead of using numeric keys, and I figured the on-screen keyboard would be big enough for my fingers, given the size of the screen.

But no, I always seem to end up pressing the wrong key even when I'm sure I've got my finger mainly over the one I want. I usually get the one on the right but if I try to hit the key more to the left I just get the key to the left instead.

I've tried tapping the screen with a pen or the end of my nail but it doesn't seem to work - only actual skin contact will register.

I'm disappointed that Apple seem to have made the touchscreen so you can't use some sort of stylus on it - in fact having been used to a Nintendo DS Lite and never having used a touchscreen mobile before, I suppose I'd assumed it might have one.

I can't help thinking the touchscreen isn't as accurate as it might be. SMS messages tend to be short - they could easily have made the keyboard bigger without affecting the space for the text itself.

Many of friends want an iPhone but the size of it puts them off. I prefer a big phone - it fits easier in my big hands and is easier to find in my bag - but it seems disappointing that big phone and big screen doesn't mean big keyboard!

Anyone have any ideas? Is there a facility to make the keyboard bigger? Is there anything else anyone can suggest?

On my Nintendo DS you can "recalibrate" the touchscreen if it seems inaccruate but I can't see any facility like that on the iPhone. I like a lot of the iPhone but I text people more than I call them so this is disappointing to me.

Anyone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSteve View Post

Okay I admit I'm a big guy and I could stand to lose a few pounds. But I also have naturally big hands and fingers and I don't think even if I lost weight my fingers are going to get significantly smaller! Most of my fat is stored on my belly not in my fingers!

So I'm a little disappointed with my iPhone 3G so far. I was so looking forward to sending SMS messages with a proper keyboard instead of using numeric keys, and I figured the on-screen keyboard would be big enough for my fingers, given the size of the screen.

But no, I always seem to end up pressing the wrong key even when I'm sure I've got my finger mainly over the one I want. I usually get the one on the right but if I try to hit the key more to the left I just get the key to the left instead.

I've tried tapping the screen with a pen or the end of my nail but it doesn't seem to work - only actual skin contact will register.

I'm disappointed that Apple seem to have made the touchscreen so you can't use some sort of stylus on it - in fact having been used to a Nintendo DS Lite and never having used a touchscreen mobile before, I suppose I'd assumed it might have one.

I can't help thinking the touchscreen isn't as accurate as it might be. SMS messages tend to be short - they could easily have made the keyboard bigger without affecting the space for the text itself.

Many of friends want an iPhone but the size of it puts them off. I prefer a big phone - it fits easier in my big hands and is easier to find in my bag - but it seems disappointing that big phone and big screen doesn't mean big keyboard!

Anyone have any ideas? Is there a facility to make the keyboard bigger? Is there anything else anyone can suggest?

On my Nintendo DS you can "recalibrate" the touchscreen if it seems inaccruate but I can't see any facility like that on the iPhone. I like a lot of the iPhone but I text people more than I call them so this is disappointing to me.

Anyone?

You probably just need practice. I know someone with big fingers that types with the iphone just fine. Also remember, you don't have to hit all of the keys correctly, just some of them.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    skp_srskp_sr Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

You probably just need practice. I know someone with big fingers that types with the iphone just fine. Also remember, you don't have to hit all of the keys correctly, just some of them.

I come from the Palm, WM and Blackberry devices so this at first was pretty aggravating i admit. just keep at it. i felt i was having the same problem, and eventually the iphone figured out (learned) my style of typing.

now catches mostly all my words with the exception of unique names and such.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member
    Use your pinkie?

(ducks and runs away)
  • Reply 4 of 12
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    If they allowed the keyboard to switch to landscape mode, they'd have more room for bigger keys...seems like something they could easily do in an update if there's enough demand for it. I'd suggest starting a thread on the iPhone support discussions if there isn't one already.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    macaloymacaloy Posts: 104member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Exactly

Practice makes perfect. My fingers are fat too but the more I type on it the better I get and you soon learn what words will be replaced for words you want to use and keep going if you know it will be fixed for you

Keep at it and it will become easier with big fingers
  • Reply 6 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mystic View Post

Use your pinkie?

(ducks and runs away)

You don't have to run.

All large people need to do with the iphone is buy a child to take care of the screen interaction. Just buy a Cambodian iKid and have them handle all the work.

Or, you can buy a soft-touch stylus for $13:

http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?p...21236&cat=2751
  • Reply 7 of 12
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Fat fingers shouldn't matter. The iPhone is touch based, not press based. The letters and buttons react to the very first part of your finger that touches the screen. It is challenging at first to get passed the mentality of touching rather than pressing. This is why practice helps, as all the others have mentioned.

I recommend typing in slow motion so that you can really feel which part of your finger is landing on the screen first. That will allow you to learn your typing style. It will also demonstrate the amazing sensitivity of the touch screen.

You can also watch the Apple videos on the iPhone. The presenter doesn't use flat thumbs he bends his thumbs and uses the tips of them.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You don't have to run.

Or, you can buy a soft-touch stylus for $13:

http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?p...21236&cat=2751

There you go..... That mirror screen cover looks nice too.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

If they allowed the keyboard to switch to landscape mode, they'd have more room for bigger keys...seems like something they could easily do in an update if there's enough demand for it. I'd suggest starting a thread on the iPhone support discussions if there isn't one already.

Yo baby it should be for all apps
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Get practice typing very lightly. The more pressure you use, the larger the surface area of your finger tip that comes in contact. Conversely, by typing lightly, only a tiny portion will actually touch. Try it!
  • Reply 11 of 12

I have the same problem.  I have been looking for a finger sharpener.  :-)

• Reply 12 of 12

There is a small pen with a rubber tip made for I phone users with big hand . It is 4 inches long and the size of a cigarette

.I picked mine up at a store called XS cargo . Try any computer shop they should have then .I use mine all the time .Good Luck with that..