Microsoft 10K warns of iPhone, Mac threats as iPhone nears 1.1% share

Comments

• Reply 41 of 115
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidnowsGuy View Post

PURE SPECULATION AS MOST OF THE MAC BOARDS ARE.

If you are going to quote percentages then back them up with data not speculation.

And...

Quote:

The day 25% of people use Mac will be 10 years after Microsoft get's out of the OS & Software Market.

Apple has a VERY small market share and FanBoy's giggle when you gain .001% over 30 Years.

Yes, Apple OSX is great but name one bank, large corporation or Auto Dealership that uses Macs.

90% of Business is done on PC's that run Windows. By default most home users buy the same thing so they can work at home.

Since Microsoft has given in to the fact that people like a better user experience it will only nibble on the pathetic % of users that run Mac's.

Even Graphic's software is being released on PC's first. That's because even Graphic houses are converting to PC's.

Apple has the Market on 1 item. IPOD

1% of the phone market with the competion quickly learning what an end user wants.

Get real here. As long as the Microsoft corporation exists they will rule the PC OS software Market.

99% of what you've said isn't backed up by anything. Why waste your time pretending to be objective in this Apple forum when you'd find many more people in agreement with your own speculations on some Windows board?
  • Reply 42 of 115
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

Giving a link from an article on AppleInsider with no backup link to the data is not very responsible and typical of a FanBoy

June 2008 Numbers show OSX is 2.11% Market share of Operating systems.

Here's a link to the article that doesn not have an arbitrary link to AppleInsider

http://www.palluxo.com/2008/07/03/wa...re-32-percent/

Don't twist the numbers. Apple's Total Market Share is Pathetic in the OS arena.

You should be a bit more careful when you take others to task for providing accurate backup. The 2.11% market share you cited was apparently the market share shown for Windows 2000 shown in the graph. The graph shows Mac OS market share for June 2008 at 2.69% but the first paragraph states:

Quote:

According to Net Applications monthly data, Mac OS X enjoyed 7.94% of the market share in June and is steadily growing.

Then you gloss over the major point being made which is that Mac OSX is growing at a significant rate while Windows is losing market share:

Quote:

...However, Microsoft Windows market share has declined more than 3% in the last 10 months.

In August 2008, Microsoft Windows dominated 93.06% of the online operating system?s market share, but over a 10 month period, that figure was reduced down to 90.89% of the market share. Considering that a year ago, Mac OS X enjoyed only 6.03% of the market, the latest data represent 32% gain in the market share for Mac OS X in just one year.

Then again, I am not sure what to make of an article dated 7/3/08 which is peering into the future according to the above.

I think it is silly for people to predict the imminent demise of Windows as a viable platform but you are clearly dismissive of the fact the Apple has, in fact, had significant (and accelerating) market share growth and will likely hold a substantial share of the computer market.
  • Reply 43 of 115
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

Yes, Apple OSX is great but name one bank, large corporation or Auto Dealership that uses Macs.

90% of Business is done on PC's that run Windows. By default most home users buy the same thing so they can work at home.

I am guessing that what you really meant to say is "that uses Macs exclusively" since it is pretty common knowledge that Macs are often found in Fortune 500 businesses. This is just more of your hyperbole.

By the way, here is at least one auto dealership which is using Macs:

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...ticleId=298043

Added: Here are some additional links that relate to Macs in enterprise:

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...ticleId=298043

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/dcc/?p=346

http://blogs.cisco.com/collaboration...rise_near_you/

http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=ABF...72942D3877FB58

And, in fairness:

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...e_mac_gai.html
  • Reply 44 of 115
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:

...but name one bank, large corporation or Auto Dealership that uses Macs.

I think you need to turn that statement around, and tell me the name of any large bank or corporation that DOESN'T us any Macs at all.

Heck, I bet even Dell owns at least a few...
  • Reply 45 of 115
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Here's a link to the article that doesn not have an a link to AppleInsider

Again with the hyperbolic responses! You can't possibly expect to get your point across when you keep making these widely false accusations that don't hold any truth. Who is really going to believe that I choose an AI graphic that is related to Mac marketshare at random? Now, saying that the AI graph doesn't lend credence to my argument because it doesn't state a source would be a valid argument as I did indeed fail to post the accompanying link to the article that cites a source for the numbers presented.

Quote:

Don't twist the numbers. Apple's Total Market Share is Pathetic in the OS arena.

I didn't twist any numbers, i just used a more reasonable metric to measure Apple's success in the consumer PC market. If you think that a company that sells Mac OS X to only concumer machines that it builds should be measured against all version of Windows regardless of their intended use is fair then keep on keepin' on, but I don't think that a vending machine running Windows 2000 or a PoS system running on a cash register in a shoe store are good metrics to get an idea of the success of Apple in the consumer market. The only way to measure this is to compare to their PC sales to other PC sales. Which is exactly what I did.
  • Reply 46 of 115
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

PURE SPECULATION AS MOST OF THE MAC BOARDS ARE.

If you are going to quote percentages then back them up with data not speculation.

I am speculating so I can throw out whatever number I want. I even stated such in my post. Didn't you catch that I believe that to my soul? Did you think I meant that as a fact?

If you tell me to do something, then you better do it. Your post was full of percentages and you didn't back it up with data.

At least I put in the magical "I believe that to my soul" statement.
  • Reply 47 of 115
    Quote:

Giving a link from an article on AppleInsider with no backup link to the data is not very responsible and typical of a FanBoy

Here's a link to the article that doesn not have an arbitrary link to AppleInsider

Wow, you're a spectacular idiot aren't you. First off, you didn't notice that the article said that Mac OS is now nearly 8% of the market, you apparently didn't realize "MacIntel" is also part of the Macintosh marketshare. Y'know, I used to be a Windows girl, hell I even worked as support for Windows XP, but after my little brother gave me his old iBook, I realized how much time I wasted defending Windows.

Seriously, not everyone's going to like the same thing. Some people like micromanaging their OS, so they stick with Windows (and Linux builds to a lesser extent). Me, I like spending time with my girlfriend and not having to maintain a computer, and believe it or not, the vast majority of the consumer market is the same way, and they're starting to take notice of MacOS's ease of use. Sales are showing that, and there's no way you can spin it any other way.
  • Reply 48 of 115
    stopestope Posts: 7member
    [QUOTE=WidnowsGuy;1288394]The day 25% of people use Mac will be 10 years after Microsoft get's out of the OS & Software Market.

WidnowsGuy needs to use spell check...might have flagged "Widnows." I hope my "Mca" will fare better!
  • Reply 49 of 115
    Here is what I know:

1)\tI have to use a PC because of work.

2)\tI do not own a Mac, but I love my IPod and Itunes.

3)\tI’ve never purchased a single thing from Itunes, but may in the future.

4)\tI am impressed with OS X.

5)\tYesterday, I upgraded to Windows XP pro SP3 after being hounded for 3 weeks by the “automatic update”. This supposed 66 to 314 meg upgrade happened in less then 3 seconds. Why? Because it had already been done. The “automatic update” was too stupid to realize this. Curiously, my laptop that also has Windows XP sp2 on it, hasn’t started to hound me yet. Huh?

6)\tYesterday I had to uncheck the “enable accelerated scrolling” option because it was causing my video display to wig out, requiring a reboot. I guess a mouse connected to a computer is a new thing to Microsoft.

7)\tEvery time I connect my USB thumb drive to my “Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro” Windows XP brilliantly warns me that “this device can perform faster”. I usually think that an operating system can perform faster, better and simpler. Also, I do know what the difference is between the USB 1.1 port on the keyboard and the six USB 2.0 ports on the computer case.

8)\tI spend half my life “drilling down” subdirectories and I’m sick of it. XP is too stupid to realize that one uses different programs in the course of a project and that every human being puts those different kinds of files in the same subdirectory. Oh yeah, the concept that one would like to keep different versions of the same file is totally foreign to Microsoft. Do they give new employees free lobotomies? Do they put stupid pills in the coffee every morning? Oh yeah, one more stupid thing- who ever thought of copying the “shortcut” instead of the file to a thumb drive? Idiots.

9)\tI will never under any circumstances give another dime of my money to Microsoft in my entire life. If I am required to use Microsoft products for work, my company is paying.

10)\tMy next home or laptop computer might just be a Mac.
  • Reply 50 of 115
    stopestope Posts: 7member
    C'mon, everyone knows Winbloze users rule. They are so productive they have time in their day to log into Mac sites to try and stir the pot!!!
  • Reply 51 of 115
    res08haores08hao Posts: 114member
    They kept talking about Zune. A little comic relief?

That 10-K looks like it was written by a balding blowhard. Yeah, I guess so.
  • Reply 52 of 115
    I don't care who copies/steals what. What matters is the implementation and if it's a good one. This goes for both Apple and Microsoft.
  • Reply 53 of 115
    ntropyntropy Posts: 8member
    Reading this thread makes me feel like I was somehow timewarped back into the 90's. I thought we'd all grown up enough to ditch the Win/Mac flame wars.

As I see it, Microsoft is treading water while Apple is advancing. I choose not to use Windows for no other reason than I find the Mac experience to be superior. End of story. Using Macs gave me the freedom to not be afraid of my computer, of messing it up, to refrain from having to delve into arcana simply to keep the machine running. And it gave me the freedom TO DO it should I choose to, even in the pre-OS X days

Is Apple's marketshare increasing? I think that's undeniable but to be honest, I couldn't care less. As long as Apple keeps making a machine I want to use, I don't care what their marketshare is. I am, however, eternally grateful that I no longer have to read about how "beleaguered" Apple is, or how they should "return money to their shareholders". And I'm grateful as well that they're apparently doing enough right, regardless of marketshare, that they've made Microsoft sit up and take notice and hopefully caused them to want to make a better product themselves.
  • Reply 54 of 115
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Basically they ran out of ideas to steal from other companies. They've sat on their asses and failed to innovate anything earth-shattering since Windows 95.
  • Reply 55 of 115
    hosshoss Posts: 69member
    The knock-off masters across the Pacific already build the iphone3G legit. As soon as they wrap-up the Olympics and start churning out $50 clones, Microsoft will throw in the towel. Ballmer doesn't even have the cash to buy a failed Yahoo, much less to innovate an iphone killer. This is probably how Rome looked when the hip upstart Barbarians were storming the gates.
  • Reply 56 of 115
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Microsoft make decent hardware -- only their software is crap. Microsoft should exit the software business and focus on what they do well: hardware.
  • Reply 57 of 115
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Apple's Total Market Share is Pathetic in the OS arena.

Then you agree with Microsoft, that Apple is facing a tremendous market opportunity!
  • Reply 58 of 115
    Not to add to the windows bashing, but we recently installed a 30 inch monitor in our small conference room. Its just fascinating to listen to excuses and complaints as various people (using XP and EVEN VISTA) try to get the second monitor working (DVI link or VGA link) - everyone gets there in the end, just takes a few minutes, and often a reboot.

Can anyone guess what happens when you plug in a macbook pro? 1.5 seconds of a pale blue screen and then - behold - it just does what you would expect - it works! As long as MS keep screwing up on what should be the simplest of tasks - they will continue to allow Apple and even Linux come and eat their lunch
  • Reply 59 of 115
    samnuvasamnuva Posts: 225member
    Quote:

Not reading charts is typical of someone who doesn't want to see a better operating system squash the once they're familiar with. Please don't twist the numbers. 7.24 is not pathetic, especially for a company that is the only real compitetion to MS out there.
  • Reply 60 of 115
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Microsoft make decent hardware -- only their software is crap. Microsoft should exit the software business and focus on what they do well: hardware.

/sarcasm <- You forgot to put that at the end of your post. There you go.

You do realize MS is a software company? The only hardware they've put out has been unoriginal (the Zune's internals are exactly the same as the iPod's), or unprofitable and subject to historic failure rates (the 360 has +40% system failure rate). The only decent, profitable thing they've "made" are those Microsoft-branded mice, which I believe Logitech actually designs.