Microsoft 10K warns of iPhone, Mac threats as iPhone nears 1.1% share

Comments

• Reply 61 of 115
    hosshoss Posts: 69member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Microsoft make decent hardware -- only their software is crap. Microsoft should exit the software business and focus on what they do well: hardware.

I can dig it. "Microhard" would be a more appropriate name anyway.
  • Reply 62 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hoss View Post

I can dig it. "Microhard" would be a more appropriate name anyway.

The soft in the Micro... name was not for 'soft'ware, but the degree to which the leaders at MS cooked theor brains. These soft brained people managed to give up real market share, despite being the 800# gorrilla, and having a legalized monopoly on an operating system HOW did that happen? How could anyone even think they could take on the might MS mammal? Thankfully Apple have, and they are taking market share without devious tactics, simply making stuff thats simple to use everyday
  • Reply 63 of 115
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Their other vertical system, the Zune, was a flop.

Is the Zune doing that badly? Maybe they will write a Mac version of the Zune software so people with a Mac can use the Zune. Look how well it worked for Apple when they wrote software for the other PC.
  • Reply 64 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hoss View Post

The knock-off masters across the Pacific already build the iphone3G legit. As soon as they wrap-up the Olympics and start churning out $50 clones, Microsoft will throw in the towel. Ballmer doesn't even have the cash to buy a failed Yahoo, much less to innovate an iphone killer. This is probably how Rome looked when the hip upstart Barbarians were storming the gates.

Apple Mkt Cap: 138.78B

Microsofts Mkt Cap: 232.80B

That gives Microsoft about a billion more reasons everyday to laugh at comments like this.

• Reply 65 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samnuva View Post

Not reading charts is typical of someone who doesn't want to see a better operating system squash the once they're familiar with. Please don't twist the numbers. 7.24% is not pathetic, especially for a company that is the only real compitetion to MS out there.

OK you're right...

With XP, Vista and Win 2000 they only own 89.45% of the total OS market.

And that's with Vista being a complete failure.

Go Steve Go!!!!!!!!! We love you so, so much. Loves & Kisses FanBoy

• Reply 66 of 115
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    @ Widnows Guy

You certainly can't deny that Apple are innovative and are on a roll at the mom, can you ?

M$ appears to be well, stagnant and trying to box it's way out of a corner. Down a little but not out ...

They just have to lose the arrogance that the Squirter shows, almost defensive and really really try to innovate. The market is smarter than what it used to be and more demanding - if they can't step up and keep customers satisfied they will struggle. Even some of the windows techs get pissed off, having to defend an OS that they rely on for a buck.

Heck the only time I've "enjoyed" windows has been on dedicated boxes running 2 or 3 apps spmetimes up to 5. These boxes never go on the net and only do one job.

The time spent troubleshooting a sick Winbox just ain't worth it for the av Joe.
  • Reply 67 of 115
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidnowsGuy View Post

That gives Microsoft about a billion more reasons everyday to laugh at comments like this.

Apple market cap is only 40% smaller than MS' but, according to your calculations, MS has 49x the OS marketshare and at the same time a higher profit margin, yet somehow you think that is a good argument for you?

Quote:

OK you're right...

Again with the poor argument. Apple doesn't compete for the total OS marketshare or they would have been offering OS X to all PCs and other devices. Perhaps just once you could look at the reality of the situation.

With this must FUD I think you're going to have to go to my ignore list.
  • Reply 68 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple market cap is only 40% smaller than MS' but, according to your calculations, MS has 49x the OS marketshare and at the same time a higher profit margin, yet somehow you think that is a good argument for you?

Again with the poor argument. Apple doesn't compete for the total OS marketshare or they would have been offering OS X to all PCs and other devices. Perhaps just once you could look at the reality of the situation.

Microsoft Return on Investment

Return on Average Equity 1st Quarter 08 46.68%

Apple Return on Investment

Return on Average Equity 1st Quarter 08 22.83%

I thought this was Apples time to SHINE. And don't bother comparing any other quarter in the history of Apple because the numbers as pathetic for Apple Investors as Q1
  • Reply 69 of 115
    Quote:

Return on Average Equity 1st Quarter 08 - 46.68%

Return on Average Equity 1st Quarter 08 - 22.83%

I thought this was Apples time to SHINE. And don't bother comparing any other quarter in the history of Apple because the numbers as pathetic for Apple Investors as Q1

And when Microsoft gets their act together and Fixes Vista it will only get better.

I'm a Mac and make less than 1/2 as much as Microsoft

I'm a PC and I make twice as much as Apple with a crummy Operating System.
  • Reply 70 of 115
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    aww, dude - I'm lumping you into the troll bin.

Good luck with yer winbox.
  • Reply 71 of 115
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Return on Average Equity 1st Quarter 08 - 46.68%

Return on Average Equity 1st Quarter 08 - 22.83%

Besides confirming what I just said about your poor argument that MS' market cap isn't significantly higher despite their higher profits, your garish use of colours and fonts and now your double posting will get you on my ignore list. I'm sure I'm not the first to add you.
  • Reply 72 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobM View Post

aww, dude - I'm lumping you into the troll bin.

Good luck with yer winbox.

For what giving actual numbers and stats?
  • Reply 73 of 115
    Quote:

Besides confirming what I just said about your poor argument that MS' market cap isn't significantly higher despite their higher profits, your garish use of colours and fonts and now your double posting will get you on my ignore list. I'm sure I'm not the first to add you.

Change email address and come back to give the truth Fanboy's don't want to hear.

Why allow us to add garish colors of facts if you don't like to see them.
  • Reply 74 of 115
    and they are just realizing this now
  • Reply 75 of 115
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Microsoft make decent hardware -- only their software is crap. Microsoft should exit the software business and focus on what they do well: hardware.

They make two pieces of hardware, both of which are crap. What are you talking about? You know that the xbox360 gets hot enough to de-solder its own processor from the motherboard when you put it on the carpet, right?
  • Reply 76 of 115
    Quote:

They aren't my calculations. They are straight from the NASDAQ.

It's a little thing that big boys try and make money at. At this point Microsoft appears to be the BigBoy here with both lousy hardware and software.

Kind of makes you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
  • Reply 77 of 115
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MakesSense2Me View Post

Here is what I know:

1)\tI have to use a PC because of work.

2)\tI do not own a Mac, but I love my IPod and Itunes.

3)\tI?ve never purchased a single thing from Itunes, but may in the future.

4)\tI am impressed with OS X.

5)\tYesterday, I upgraded to Windows XP pro SP3 after being hounded for 3 weeks by the ?automatic update?. This supposed 66 to 314 meg upgrade happened in less then 3 seconds. Why? Because it had already been done. The ?automatic update? was too stupid to realize this. Curiously, my laptop that also has Windows XP sp2 on it, hasn?t started to hound me yet. Huh?

6)\tYesterday I had to uncheck the ?enable accelerated scrolling? option because it was causing my video display to wig out, requiring a reboot. I guess a mouse connected to a computer is a new thing to Microsoft.

7)\tEvery time I connect my USB thumb drive to my ?Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro? Windows XP brilliantly warns me that ?this device can perform faster?. I usually think that an operating system can perform faster, better and simpler. Also, I do know what the difference is between the USB 1.1 port on the keyboard and the six USB 2.0 ports on the computer case.

8)\tI spend half my life ?drilling down? subdirectories and I?m sick of it. XP is too stupid to realize that one uses different programs in the course of a project and that every human being puts those different kinds of files in the same subdirectory. Oh yeah, the concept that one would like to keep different versions of the same file is totally foreign to Microsoft. Do they give new employees free lobotomies? Do they put stupid pills in the coffee every morning? Oh yeah, one more stupid thing- who ever thought of copying the ?shortcut? instead of the file to a thumb drive? Idiots.

9)\tI will never under any circumstances give another dime of my money to Microsoft in my entire life. If I am required to use Microsoft products for work, my company is paying.

10)\tMy next home or laptop computer might just be a Mac.

For years I was told that I would never, ever be "allowed" to use a Mac at my office due to "poor virus controll, poor integration", etc., etc., etc.

For the past 18 months I have been using a Mac Book Pro 2.33GHz as my primary work machine, running Windows XP SP3 via VMWare Fusion. If you must use windows, you can at least use it with the most elegant PC going, and you will still have simultaneous access to all your Mac Apps.

The real irony here is that my parent company has been rolling out dozens of software updates. Out of 11 PC in the office, mine is the only one that has yet to have a major problem with the update process, and the rest of these PC's are all dedicated Windows machines!

Do yourself and your office a huge favor and buy a Mac. You won't regret it.
  • Reply 78 of 115
    samnuvasamnuva Posts: 225member
    Quote:

OK you're right...

First of all, fanboy is not capataized.

Now, it seems you've admitted that Apple has a 7% Market Share instead of the 2% you previously said. When did this revalation occur?

Third:

7 vs 89 is a stark difference. but it was 5 vs 95 last year, and smaller before that. You MUST face the fact that Microsoft is going down, despite how much you obviously have the company. Apple does have a long way to go, but they are rising, and microsoft is falling. That's that.
  • Reply 79 of 115
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

That's one way of looking at it. But a more telling indication is looking at the growth rate of the stock.

Since Jan 6, 1995, MSFT has gone from 3.775 to 25.44 for increase of 574% while AAPL has gone from 10.50 to 156.66 for an increase of 1392%.

Over the past year MSFT has gone from 29.54 to 25.44 for a negative growth -13.9% while AAPL has increased from 132.90 to 156.6 for an increase of almost 18%. Seems to me that the market is looking away from MSFT in terms of future opportunities.

Quote:

OK you're right...

Aside from what Solipsism has pointed out in terms of comparing comparable products, you still overlook that your 89.45% market share is a contraction from their previous market share. Much like the market cap, Microsoft's market share is also in atrophy.

What I would really like to know is what compels someone like you to come to a Mac-related forum and register with a provocative username in a pitiful attempt to stir up senseless BS. And, if you must do so, you had at least be able to make more compelling arguments than "neener, neener,neener, mine is bigger than yours". You cannot even acknowledge that Apple has made significant strides as evidenced in the links I posted above which show Apple even making headway in the enterprise market (not to mention you got it completely wrong about "Yes, Apple OSX is great but name one bank, large corporation or Auto Dealership that uses Macs."
  • Reply 80 of 115
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Q: What do you call a plane-load of MS management folks at the bottom of the ocean?

A: A good start.