Upstart iPhone developer already on one million Apple devices

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Although nearly all its business depends on a platform which launched just three weeks ago, Tapulous has become one of the most prominent iPhone and iPod touch developers with more than one million downloads in its pocket -- and attention that may turn it into one of the App Store's more serious players.

Speaking to TechCrunch, Tapulous chief Bart Decrem takes advantage of Apple's newly available access to download stats to estimate that his company will have one million downloads of the rhythm game Tap Tap Revenge before the weekend is over. The company is only the second to reach that tally after Facebook, which could rely on its large existing base of web users to achieve the record as well as support its development process.

The current version of the software is free, and so doesn't generate money by itself for the new developer. However, with an estimated five to six million iPhones and iPod touch players running the 2.0 firmware that supports Tap Tap Revenge, the download count would give about 20 percent of all up-to-date Apple touchscreen devices carrying some version of the software.

That high level of interest has drawn interest that may quickly turn it into a commercial force. According to Decrem, both indie and major artists are very willingly discussing a paid version of the game that would hold commercially available music rather than just the freely volunteered songs that make up the bulk of the music in the current version -- essentially following a licensing model like that of Guitar Hero or Rock Band, which most observers cite as Tap Tap's closest role models.

The surprising level of success appears to reinforce third-party studies that suggest at least some iPhone app developers are reaping significant rewards from the store. Few companies have publicly revealed how much profit they generate from paid or ad-supported software, but a Medialets estimate would have even a relatively small developer such as Pangea may have generated $1.2 million in opening weekend sales of its puzzle game Enigmo.

Such examples aren't universal; only a fraction of software at the App Store, free or paid, is likely to create that level of interest. Tapulous' own GPS-aware Twitter client Twinkle has only produced a far more modest 80,000 downloads, Decrem says, although it has been available for less time. Nonetheless, the appearance of multiple fast-rising apps is described as revealing a commercial potential for iPhone apps that wasn't evident before the App Store became available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Sheesh, what's with the spam above? I love the idea that a one man/woman shop can come up with an app make a bundle!
  • Reply 2 of 16
    stubeckstubeck Posts: 140member
    Is it already on 1 million devices or is it going to be? Article seems a bit confusing (I also have dyslexia though.)
  • Reply 3 of 16
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    I don't know where the one million figure comes, presumably from the developer, and it may well be true. But as a developer with applications in the App Store, I know for a fact that the only data that has been released to developers thus far covers a period of exactly five days, from July 28 through August 1. NO data has been released for July 11 through the 28th. I suppose it's possible that this company received some information from Apple outside of normal channels. If not, then they can only be extrapolating from five days of sales, not exactly a reliable method (it might even be an undercount).

Be that as it may, I note that this app is only #9 is the list of "top free apps" in the App Store. On the assumption that that "top" is based on downloads, those other eight must be doing even better. Impressive!
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Null.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Yank this hook will ya.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I imagine that even a mediocre 99 cent app could generate a few thousand dollars for the developer.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap... tap, tap
  • Reply 9 of 16
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Their users sign up for a Tapulous account as well, so besides a million downloads, they also have a million sign ups.

I don't think every download equals a sign-up. I haven't. I have played it once or twice, and I wasn't even aware there was a web site component.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Finally the dawn of the mini-app and micro-internet economy. Make a nifty gadget, sell it for a buck or two, make a few hundred thousand. iTunes did it for musicians, and now for programmers.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeyondYourFrontDoor View Post

Finally the dawn of the mini-app and micro-internet economy. Make a nifty gadget, sell it for a buck or two, make a few hundred thousand. iTunes did it for musicians, and now for programmers.

Very interesting isn't it! What does it take for someone to go the step of paying $0.99 for software that they'd happily download for free and play with a few times?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Nonetheless, the appearance of multiple fast-rising apps is described as revealing a commercial potential for iPhone apps that wasn't evident before the App Store became available.

Described by whom? Not evident to whom?

I think the commercial potential was very much evident, judging by the number of

people who got involved in developing the apps, as well as their impatience to get

their apps approved for the store.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Described by whom? Not evident to whom?

I think the commercial potential was very much evident, judging by the number of

people who got involved in developing the apps, as well as their impatience to get

their apps approved for the store.

Yeah, I guess all those idiot developers rushed into iPhone projects with no hope of commercial success. Imagine their surprise now!
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Even if only a fraction of the free downloaders bought a paid version it would still add up to significant coin.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    All I have to say is my wife and I LOVE the game! Nice job guys keep up the good work!
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Null.