How to best secure laptop data in case it's stolen?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a MacBook Pro and I'm wondering what I can do to secure the data the best I can in case it's stolen. When I had a Windows Laptop I had a password to log on. I know someone could still get into it without too much trouble with a reinstall of Windows, going through DOS, etc.

My question, what is the best way to do this on a Mac? I set up a logon password so when my screen saver comes up in a minute of no use it requires a password to get back in. Yet all someone has to do is a restart and for some reason it goes straight into OS X without asking for a password. Is there a way to change this?

Is it possible for me to somehow encrypt my data to somehow further protect it? Of course I don't want to do anything that will slow my system down.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I use FileVault to secure my laptop, and I make sure that everything sensitive (i.e. everything) goes in to my home account.

I also set up the password on the screensaver so that if I leave the machine unattended it'll lock others out. Switching off Bluetooth, AirPort and File Sharing doesn't hurt either...
  • Reply 2 of 10
    fishafisha Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickr10 View Post

I have a MacBook Pro and I'm wondering what I can do to secure the data the best I can in case it's stolen. When I had a Windows Laptop I had a password to log on. I know someone could still get into it without too much trouble with a reinstall of Windows, going through DOS, etc.

My question, what is the best way to do this on a Mac? I set up a logon password so when my screen saver comes up in a minute of no use it requires a password to get back in. Yet all someone has to do is a restart and for some reason it goes straight into OS X without asking for a password. Is there a way to change this?

Is it possible for me to somehow encrypt my data to somehow further protect it? Of course I don't want to do anything that will slow my system down.

I dont know about Mac machines, but on my Thinkpad i have:

- Bios password

- HDD password

- Windows logon password

The general bios password is locked into the machine . . . if its forgotten, the machine needs a serious bodge of cmos battery out and jumpering of wires to reset it. The is also a supervisor password in the bios which is a higher level again. If you forget that, the whole motherboard is a write-off.

The HDD is locked into the hardware of the drive itself. So even if the hdd were removed and placed into another machine ( with no passwords ) it wouldn't allow access until the right password was given to that drive This is a feature present on most hdd's so i wouldn't be surprised if the Mac couldn't enable it.

Lastly - just a standard windows log-on password which also doubles as the screensaver password.

So if a random person takes the machine, they'd have to:

- try and bypass the windows one.

- if they fail, they'ed likely have to reboot and still hit the windows password

- if they have to switch it off they'ed hit the bios password on restart ( and then the hdd one )

- if they remove the drive to try it in another machine, they'ed have to bypass the hdd password.

So its alot of trouble to get at the data if stolen, and a fail at each step takes you out to another layer of passwords.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    pepsipepsi Posts: 55member
    Apple menu

system preferences

accounts

authenticate if you need to

login options

uncheck automatically login as.

also for more security click the radio button for name and password under "display login window as:"

Next time you restart or logout you will have to type your username and password.

-b
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Hi Rick,

Prevention!

1) Install iAlertU on your MBP. Works like a charm. Nobody's going to walk off with your screaming MBP under their arm...!

And it does take a picture of who dunnit! Only it doesn't (yet) send that picture through eMail, as it says it does. Minor gripe.

Get iAlertU here.

2) Install 'Lock My Mac' if you want to step away from your MBP for a few minutes while a couple processes keep on doing their thing, while closing shop for snoopers in the vicinity. It requires your system password to unlock.

Your MBP was nicked but 'found' again?

And now you want to know who's had access in the meantime? OK, install Adeona. It takes photos of whoever starts up your MBP and logs its location data, which cannot be accessed without your password. You'll be an instant forensics expert.

If the site hasn't got downloadable files, try this one for MacOSX.

Have fun!
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Follow "pepsi"s advice to set up your Mac so it requires a password at startup...

Then turn on File Vault to encrypt everything in your home folder ... makes the data inaccessible even if someone were to remove the hard drive to try to access the data (or via target disk, etc.)

That will give you a level of security that is as good as the password you choose.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Does FileVaule work with Time Machine yet?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    drazztikkadrazztikka Posts: 240member
    Setting up a password at startup doesn't secure laptop data enough.

Last week a friend of mine had a major software problem.

He did system updates on battery, meanwhile the battery got depleted which messed up his osx, couldn't start up.

He had a bunch of mp3's he bought that he wanted to recover.

So what I did was connect his MB to my MBP via firewire so his HD shows up on my computer.

I was able to find all mp3's on his disk, even though they were in his user account.

I don't think he had filevault on, so maybe that's the way to go.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Some basic tips for securing OS X... shows you exactly how to do it:

http://www.usingmac.com/2008/6/16/10...uring-your-mac
  • Reply 9 of 10
    If you REALLY want a secure OS X:

http://www.infosecwriters.com/text_r...os-x-tiger.pdf

Note: even though it is slightly dated, the advice is sound and will create a very secure installation.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drazztikka View Post

Setting up a password at startup doesn't secure laptop data enough.

Last week a friend of mine had a major software problem.

He did system updates on battery, meanwhile the battery got depleted which messed up his osx, couldn't start up.

He had a bunch of mp3's he bought that he wanted to recover.

So what I did was connect his MB to my MBP via firewire so his HD shows up on my computer.

I was able to find all mp3's on his disk, even though they were in his user account.

I don't think he had filevault on, so maybe that's the way to go.

Yes, WITH file-vault on, you couldn't do that without the password.