Apple releases iPhone 2.0.1 Software Update

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Monday evening released iPhone 2.0.1 Software Update, the first maintenance and security update for iPhone 3Gs and first-generation iPhones running iPhone Software 2.0. iPod touch 2.0.1 has also been released.

To download and install the 249.2MB update, connect your iPhone or iPod touch to your Mac or PC and select it in iTunes. Then hit the "Check for Update" button. iTunes will initiate a grueling backup of your existing iPhone's software before installing the the update.

In a scant set of release notes, Apple said iPhone Software 2.0.1 and its iPod equivalent deliver "bug fixes." Readers are encouraged to post their experiences and findings while using the new software in the forums thread for this article.

Some changes

Apple does not always specify the changes it makes in minor software updates. As such, the company leaves users guessing and trying to decipher those changes on their own. Some user-discovered changes in iPhone/iPod 2.0.1 include:

-You can now drag an app icon across multiple pages in one motion, rather than having to drag it, drop it, pick it up again and drag it over to next page, and repeat.

-Contacts are now more responsive.

-After installing 2.0.1, each successive backup is much faster.

-Apple may have changed the calibration of the iPhone's reception "bars" while connected to a 3G network to reflect a stronger signal than before.

-Keypad loads quicker.

-Screen rotation in Safari appears to be smoother.

-Some apps may ask to be updated after the firmware upgrade.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 158
    Sweet! I've been waiting for an update! I'm hoping this enhances 3G reception and battery life.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Monday evening released iPhone 2.0.1 Software Update, the first maintenance and security update for iPhone 3Gs and first-generation iPhones running iPhone Software 2.0.

To download and install the software, connect your iPhone to your Mac or PC and select it in iTunes. Then hit the "Check for Update" button. iTunes will initiate a grueling backup of your existing iPhone's software before installing the the new software update.

In a scant set of release notes, Apple said iPhone Software 2.0.1 delivers "bug fixes." Readers are encouraged to post their experiences and findings while using the new software in the forums thread for this article.

• Reply 2 of 158
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Great, waiting for pwnage to catch up.
  • Reply 3 of 158
    martinzmartinz Posts: 92member
    I checked about 15 minutes ago and was most surprised to find an update available, as I had not seen anything on any sites like this. I didn't know quite how to react; made a thread on MacNN and replied to one here ... thankfully the world isn't far behind .

I'm doing a full restore as I was planning to anyway, and it looks like it's almost done. With luck the 'bug fixes' will speed up performance and help some of the app crashes!
  • Reply 4 of 158
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Will download and install shortly!
  • Reply 5 of 158
    About time! Installing right now!
  • Reply 6 of 158
    242.3 MB download.............

waiting with baited breath
  • Reply 7 of 158
    Sync problems are fixed. It will backup the first time you sync after the update. The updates after that for me have only synced data in about 15 seconds rather than requiring a backup on every sync before.
  • Reply 8 of 158
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    I hope this fixes the terrible interface lags, the numerous daily crashes, and the numerous bugs.

The new 2.0 OS has built a pretty negative opinion of Apple and its quality in my head. I hope this changes that opinion.
  • Reply 9 of 158
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    The update is out for the iPod Touch as well. Although the first time I ran it, it somehow reinstalled the 2.0 update. I am running it again, I think it is the 2.0.1 update this time.
  • Reply 10 of 158
    Fingers crossed this tidies up Maps.
  • Reply 11 of 158
    This thing does nothing.... at least doesn't fix my scrolling issue....
  • Reply 12 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BWhaler View Post

I hope this fixes the terrible interface lags, the numerous daily crashes, and the numerous bugs.

The new 2.0 OS has built a pretty negative opinion of Apple and its quality in my head. I hope this changes that opinion.

Not me; v2 brought a ton of things to the table, not least of which was the ability of hackers to write crummy apps that cause the phone to crash.

Some of these apps are poorly-written, not according to Apple spec, and shouldn't have made it into the App Store. My only complaint about what I think is an incredible device is that Apple Inc. should filter out all the junk apps and keep the iPhone running smoothly.

it'll take more than a monumental update like v2.0 to change my opinion on a great company that produces great software. One only has to look at the other OSes out there to realize how fortunate we Mac users are.
  • Reply 13 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NickBorowitz View Post

This thing does nothing.... at least doesn't fix my scrolling issue....

Anyone figure out what this fixes? I keep playing with it but i'm not sure what it does.... everything seems the same.
  • Reply 14 of 158
    fixed the lagging keyboard in e-mail and texting on my end. HUGE sigh of relief.
  • Reply 15 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lovehasnologic View Post

fixed the lagging keyboard in e-mail and texting on my end. HUGE sigh of relief.

It did fix the lagging keyboard in email, but seems to have slowed down opening mail and new emails...
  • Reply 16 of 158
    Quote:

Anyone figure out what this fixes? I keep playing with it but i'm not sure what it does.... everything seems the same.

Right .......2 posts???
  • Reply 17 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post

Right .......2 posts???

I don't usually use these forums I'm more avid on mac rumors.
  • Reply 18 of 158
    does NOT fix non-working sleep/wake button
  • Reply 19 of 158
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post

Right .......2 posts???

What's you point?
  • Reply 20 of 158
    Quote:

Yup. 2 posts. Good job! I don't usually use these forums I'm more avid on mac rumors.

Congrats on the use of numbers though, I'm so proud of you!

And you really think Apple puts out useless upgrades?? I'm sure it won't fix everything you expect it to, but I doubt it "isn't any different".

Mine's downloading now. If I develop the same opinion, I'll be the first to admit it. It's not my experience however with Apple.