Apple to offer Radeon HD 3870 option on MacPro?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm wanting to buy a MacPro very soon.

The new Radeon HD 3870 seems like the graphics card to have for my needs.

Anyone have insight as to whether Apple will offer it as a BTO option anytime soon?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I don't think you'll be able to buy it from Apple. From what I've read it sounds like something ATI is selling on their own.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I don't think you'll be able to buy it from Apple. From what I've read it sounds like something ATI is selling on their own.

Well, I'd like to think the 3870 will become the default card instead of the 2600XT.

Seems logical to me.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nightjar2 View Post

Well, I'd like to think the 3870 will become the default card instead of the 2500.

Seems logical to me.

It would be great if the 2600XT got replaced, and the 8800GT while they're at it. But I don't see Apple keeping up with technology like that.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Recently I am planing to buy a Mac Pro, with a 2600xt stock card, I would like to upgrade to 3870hd from OWC, but currently i have 2 24" and one 30" monitor, I would want to ask will both of the card work parallel, under Mac and boot camp so that I could hook up 3 monitor at once.

Thanks

Billy
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Recently I am planing to buy a Mac Pro, with a 2600xt stock card, I would like to upgrade to 3870hd from OWC, but currently i have 2 24" and one 30" monitor, I would want to ask will both of the card work parallel, under Mac and boot camp so that I could hook up 3 monitor at once.

Thanks

Billy

How else would people use 3+ monitors than with multiple graphics cards?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

How else would people use 3+ monitors than with multiple graphics cards?

I know that I need at least two graphic card to run 3+ monitor, but my question is can I run different graphic card together, on apple site, you can order up to 4 2600, but for 8800, you can only order one. but for my situation is that I got a stock 2600hd but since I want to attach another monitor I wanted to upgrade to 3870hd but still having the 2600 working for one monitor.

Thanks
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I know that I need at least two graphic card to run 3+ monitor, but my question is can I run different graphic card together, on apple site, you can order up to 4 2600, but for 8800, you can only order one. but for my situation is that I got a stock 2600hd but since I want to attach another monitor I wanted to upgrade to 3870hd but still having the 2600 working for one monitor.

Thanks

Yes. I can think of no reason why a 2600 and a 3870 would not work together.