Romania, Philippines on tap for Aug 22 iPhone 3G launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The iPhone will make its way to Romania, the Philippines, and Hungary during the second phase of Apple's international iPhone 3G rollout later this month, local carriers announced on Wednesday.

Romania

Orange said it will be the exclusive provider of the Apple handset in Romania beginning on August 22, and plans to offer customers the "full iPhone 3G experience."

Prospective buyers are welcome to attend the carrier's official launch party at midnight on August 22, when doors of six Orange shops across the country will open simultaneously.

Those stores include the Orange concept store in Bucharest and the Orange shops in Iasi (Anastasie Panu Blvd.), Cluj (21 Decembrie Blvd.), Brasov (Muresenilor St.), Timisoara (Republicii Blvd.) and Constanta (St. Stefan cel Mare).

Beginning Thursday, customers can also register their intent to order online at the Orange's website.

Philippines

Separately, Globe Telecom announced it will bring iPhone 3G to the Philippines on August 22 alongside special prepaid and post paid plans that will allow consumers "to experience the exciting features of iPhone 3G."

Those special plans will come with free local mobile internet hours and free Wi-Fi browsing hours (in areas covered by Globe Wireless Internet Zones), the carrier said.

Customers interested in purchasing iPhone 3G with Globe postpaid and prepaid offers are encouraged to start making their reservations beginning today over the web, or by calling Globe?s 24-Hour Call-in Service via landline (632)-730-1000.

Hungary

Over in Hungary, the nation's largest wireless carrier, T-Mobile, said Wednesday it has won out the exclusive rights to offer the iPhone 3G to regional mobile subscribers beginning August 22nd.

Romania and the Philippines are just two of 20 additional countries that will gain access to the iPhone when Apple kicks off the second phase of its international iPhone 3G rollout on August 22nd. Another 30 countries are expected to be added as part of a third phase that will take place before year's end.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    August 22 has been also announced as "D" day by all 3 mobile (GSM) phone carriers in the Czech Republic.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    I wish that 22 August will be the "D" day for Greece too. So far, too much silence from Vodafone.

I already ordered a 16gb white iphone, as -a pay as you go- phone (unlocked).

Can't wait!
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Yay, finally! I'm from Romania. I couldn't resist posting.

I hope the iPhone will restect the price of other countries. 199 euro the basic version... actually I hope it's cheaper. That would be a first.

basic iMac in US: 1200$

basic iMac in RO: 1700$
  • Reply 4 of 18
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This is becoming a bit frustrating!

Yesterday I was in Manhattan. I walked from 32nd and 3rd Ave to the Apple store on the GM Plaza at 58th and 5th Ave.

What did I see?

A line like I see at Disneyworld!

There were metal barriers, with a line snaking three times around them. This was the iPhone line. I counted the people in one of the three snaked sections, and it was about 50, So there were about 150 people trying to get into the Apple store for an iPhone. How many inside on line for this, I don't know.

I also don't know how many made it, because there was an Apple employee with a box with strips of numbers that she was asking people about, who supposedly reserved phones, and who were given notice that the phone was in for them. What proportion of those on line had a reservation I don't know.

Once I found out what was going on, I left. This was about 1:30 in the afternoon.

How Apple is going to manage more country openings in the near future I simply can't imagine!
  • Reply 5 of 18
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    I know several people living here in the U.S. from the Philippines. I'm not sure how well the iPhone will go over. Apparently, the culture there is that people buy a new phone on a weekly to biweekly basis. Having the latest and the greatest is important to the under 30 crowd there, and a new iPhone is not released every two weeks.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I know several people living here in the U.S. from the Philippines. I'm not sure how well the iPhone will go over. Apparently, the culture there is that people buy a new phone on a weekly to biweekly basis. Having the latest and the greatest is important to the under 30 crowd there, and a new iPhone is not released every two weeks.

But new iPhone apps are released daily... folks could load up on them and show them off to their friends...
  • Reply 7 of 18
    cdnalsicdnalsi Posts: 33member
    That's awesome. Too bad Orange sucks hairy ass in Romania. Vodafone would have been 100 times better IMHO
  • Reply 8 of 18
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This is becoming a bit frustrating!

Yesterday I was in Manhattan. I walked from 32nd and 3rd Ave to the Apple store on the GM Plaza at 58th and 5th Ave.

What did I see?

A line like I see at Disneyworld!

There were metal barriers, with a line snaking three times around them. This was the iPhone line. I counted the people in one of the three snaked sections, and it was about 50, So there were about 150 people trying to get into the Apple store for an iPhone. How many inside on line for this, I don't know.

I also don't know how many made it, because there was an Apple employee with a box with strips of numbers that she was asking people about, who supposedly reserved phones, and who were given notice that the phone was in for them. What proportion of those on line had a reservation I don't know.

Once I found out what was going on, I left. This was about 1:30 in the afternoon.

How Apple is going to manage more country openings in the near future I simply can't imagine!

it is frustrating indeed, i ordered mine (16Gb black) with ATT on last monday 28th jul until today i have not received it...

it is kinda slow process, wish to know how many they sold after the initial three day frenzy
  • Reply 9 of 18
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

it is frustrating indeed, i ordered mine (16Gb black) with ATT on last monday 28th jul until today i have not received it...

it is kinda slow process, wish to know how many they sold after the initial three day frenzy

I'm also very curious about this. How many sold, and how many backordered.

It sort of gives more credability to the 800,000 per week number we read about.

Unless, Apple is holding back to solve the cracking problem. If so, there may not be as many going out as should be, making the shortages seem like more sales than there really are. Though I hope not.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    July 11, August 22, following that pattern, the next round after that would be on October 33!
  • Reply 11 of 18
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    iPhone 3G iPhone 4G iPhone 5G hahahaha
  • Reply 12 of 18
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    ARE THESE ALL LOCKED TO THE NETWORKS? Someone please share if you have any info.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'm also very curious about this. How many sold, and how many backordered.

It sort of gives more credability to the 800,000 per week number we read about.

Unless, Apple is holding back to solve the cracking problem. If so, there may not be as many going out as should be, making the shortages seem like more sales than there really are. Though I hope not.

They can't find the time to count
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

This is exaggerated. I don't think anybody buys a new phone here every week or two. That's just crazy.

But anyway, the plans are sooo expensive. opt for prepaid and you pay for like US$ 1140 for 16Gb and US$ 974 for 8GB.

Go for postpaid Plan 1599 (about USD 37) and pay for the iphone USD 518 cash.

The plans are really expensive, GLobe is trying to get as much profit as they can out this iPhone mania.

Good thing I already have the original iphone which works perfectly fine here.There's not much wifi spots here and I dont think 3G is much of thing here so I believe the older iphone is still the way to go for now. I'll wait for the next version.

cdm

Phils.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

I waited 2 weeks for a phone from an ATT store---the people and the service was just wonderful--

( U village in Seattle)
  • Reply 16 of 18
    The price offerings are way way too expensive here in RP!

PMP Today compares prices: Globe Telecom is offering the pre-paid phone kit at roughly US$950 (8GB) and US$1110 (16GB) as opposed to AT&T's US$599 and US$699, respectively, for an iPhone without the postpaid subscription.

Still, I think the iPhone will be selling like hotcakes here.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bayanjoseph View Post

The price offerings are way way too expensive here in RP!

PMP Today compares prices: Globe Telecom is offering the pre-paid phone kit at roughly US$950 (8GB) and US$1110 (16GB) as opposed to AT&T's US$599 and US$699, respectively, for an iPhone without the postpaid subscription.

Still, I think the iPhone will be selling like hotcakes here.

To point out the obvious the price offerings are not
    Quote:

way way too expensive here in RP!

if...
    Quote:

the iPhone will be selling like hotcakes here.

• Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

To point out the obvious the price offerings are not

if...

Good point, but that's just my opinion.

With most other phones, what usually happens is the prospective buyer just purchases an "open line" version (i.e., not locked to any particular carrier) from abroad (or elsewhere, long as it's not the "official" unit being sold by the carrier) where the price of the unit is cheaper. I'm not sure if that option is going to be available here.

Don't get me wrong, I've already pre-ordered my 16GB from Globe Telecom, but i think it just sucks that the prices of the handsets/subscription plans are that high. Note that the infrastructure for 3G has already been in place here in RP for the longest time, so I don't think Globe will have to make any additional substantial investment to put up or upgrade their system.