Apple poised for special event this September

Comments

• Reply 81 of 311
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

So according to what you say if Apple started selling a black or red MacBook Pro, it would be considering a design change.

That's an example of a COSMETIC change. Obviously no one thought the product (RED) iPods were completely new iPods. But the move from iPod nano "gum-stick" to iPod nano "fatty" was a MAJOR change. It offered a very different form factor with improved internal components and a larger screen.

Changing the MacBook/Pro's hardware enclosure from the current rounded-rectangle to the Air's tapered edges and overall much thinner design would NOT be superficial by any stretch of the imagination. It would impact weight, bulk, and the internal components that could be used.

Do you really consider a move from a 2.2GHz to 3.0GHz processor a "redesign?" Even if they moved to the new Centrino 2, we wouldn't see any serious performance improvements.

Now, when custom PA Semi chips find their way into Intel Macs running Snow Leopard, yeah, we'll see a major change.
  • Reply 82 of 311
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ensign Pulver View Post

It has not completely changed. The case is practically identical and that's all that matters.

EDIT: Didn't realize everyone had already piled on Solsun. He has no idea what he's talking about. The MBP looks identical to the Aluminium Powerbook G4 and is in desperate need of a redesign.

Except that Solsun NEVER SAID they looked completely different. What Solsun DID SAY is that nearly every single component or aspect apart from the color has changed. And that qualifies as a redesign.
  • Reply 83 of 311
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What we're saying is that other than the cosmetic (and, of course, practical) redesign of the case, the thread isn't interested.

A case serves two functions.

One is to house the components is such a way as to make them as accessible and protected, as can be.

Two is to make the product as attractive as can be.

That's what we're talking about.

You are talking about what's inside the case, the electronic and mechanical upgrades internal to the design. Other than how they reflect what a new design case can be, they aren't the subject of this discussion.

Can't put it any better than Melgross.

We're talking about the fact that since the end of 2003, the design of the case

has changed very very little.

No-one is disputing that the internals have changed. Of course they've changed! Apple would have gone down the toilet if they were still trying to sell computers from 2003 today.

Yes, the MacBook Pro is faster. Yes it's had new CPUs and new RAM and new Motherboard and new this and new that. But the case has not changed significantly since 2003.
  • Reply 84 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

In this post:

You said the MacBook Pro has a "New Keyboard design", it doesn't. You said the MacBook Pro has a "New Trackpad", it doesn't (form-factor wise); you said the MacBook Pro added the "Backlight Keyboard"; it didn't; you said the MacBook Pro had "New Speakers and placement", it didn't; you said the MacBook Pro added a "Firewire 800 port", it didn't, in fact, the first MacBook Pro took it away and then it was added back later. You said the MacBook Pro had a "Slimmer enclosure.", whilst this is true, it was only by about 0.01" or something like that.

From the original PowerBook G4. They sure do.
  • Reply 85 of 311
    Quote:

Except that Solsun NEVER SAID they looked completely different. What Solsun DID SAY is that nearly every single component or aspect apart from the color has changed. And that qualifies as a redesign.

The problem is that you are wrong that the only thing that hasn't changed is the colour. The entirety of the external enclosure is almost exactly the same as the Aluminium PowerBook G4 that came out in september 2003.
  • Reply 86 of 311
    Quote:

Can't put it any better than Melgross.

We're talking about the fact that since the end of 2003, the design of the case

has changed very very little.

No-one is disputing that the internals have changed. Of course they've changed! Apple would have gone down the toilet if they were still trying to sell computers from 2003 today.

Yes, the MacBook Pro is faster. Yes it's had new CPUs and new RAM and new Motherboard and new this and new that. But the case has not changed significantly since 2003.

And not in any of my posts did I say that it did..

How exactly is everyone translating "a redesign is more than cosmetic" into "the case has totally changed?."
  • Reply 87 of 311
    Quote:

From the original PowerBook G4. They sure do.

Oh jesus. We're not talking about differences from the original PowerBook G4. We are talking about difference from the aluminium PowerBook G4 that came out in september 2003. We're talking about the form-factor being five years old, not seven years old.

If we were claiming the form-factor was seven years old, then we'd be wrong and you'd be right. But we are claiming the form factor is five years old, making us right and you wrong.

Will you please acknowledge that Apple released a 15" PowerBook G4 made out of aluminium in september 2003.
  • Reply 88 of 311
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:

You can tell me I'm wrong all you want but it's a moot point since I never once said anything about looks.

All I said (repeatedly,) is that a redesign is more than cosmetic. And yes, there have been minor cosmetic changes.

Knock, knock, anybody home? This thread IS about appearance! Move along now, nothing for you to see here.
  • Reply 89 of 311
    Quote:

Oh jesus. We're not talking about diffences from the original PowerBook G4.

READ MY FIRST FRICKIN POST.

When I originally listed all the changes I said from "THE ORIGINAL POWERBOOK G4"
  • Reply 90 of 311
    Quote:

How exactly is everyone translating "a redesign is more than cosmetic" into "the case has totally changed?."

We're not.

Some of the things that you've claimed have changed are form-factor related i.e., they are part of the design of the case.

In claiming that they have been redesigned, you are claiming that the case has been redesigned and we are telling you that you are wrong.
  • Reply 91 of 311
    Quote:

Ive been waiting to buy a new machine for a while. I retired a few years ago, so I don't NEED a new machine...

I've decided to wait for the Nehalem. I'd like it to get here.

I just hit the big 50 this year so I'm getting there. Although it'll be a few years before I retire. Just kidding again. It's only as old as you feel they say and I feel pretty damn good. Wahooooo!! Hope you're enjoying your retirement. Anyways, I did upgrade to a new iMac this year so it's not that I'm cheap and I did buy an iPod Touch for myself at Christmas too. Eventually I'll get a new MacBook and at that time I'm hoping touch will be more prominent in them. One more thing about my PowerBook G4, the bottom never gets too warm.
  • Reply 92 of 311
    Quote:

We're not.

Some of the things that you've claimed have changed are form-factor related i.e., they are part of the design of the case.

In claiming that they have been redesigned, you are claiming that the case has been redesigned and we are telling you that you are wrong.

Mr H. will you please read my first post.

EDIT: (It's on page 1, post #8)
  • Reply 93 of 311
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by probably View Post

Most posters here are not naive enough to ignore that something like UltraBay exists. There aren't, however, slotloading drives like that. They are a bit more sensitive to handle and a modular one would add significant thickness.

I wasn't responding to MOST posters, I was responding to aapl. Why are you mentioning most posters?

And just why are they more sensitive to handle? They are LESS sensitive to handle, not more.
  • Reply 94 of 311
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    I have the original aluminum 15" PB G4 that I bought in September, 2003, and the current MBP looks about the same. It'd be nice to have a new design for a change and I plan to buy it. My PB won't recognize the AirPort Extreme card so I'm using the MacBook I got for my wife for Christmas.

I'd love it if the new MBP uses a design similar to the MBA, only plumper. I'd sure like to know what Apple would use instead of Montevina. The new, higher freq Penryn chips would still be used. I'd also like to know what sort of GPU would be used. Can't wait!

Hey, a glass multitouch trackpad would be cool. I came up with a design for that some months ago:

• Reply 95 of 311
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

READ MY FIRST FRICKIN POST.

When I originally listed all the changes I said from "THE ORIGINAL POWERBOOK G4"

The problem is that the article is talking about the aluminum PBG4, not the original PBG4.
  • Reply 96 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

I just hit the big 50 this year so I'm getting there. Although it'll be a few years before I retire. Just kidding again. It's only as old as you feel they say and I feel pretty damn good. Wahooooo!! Hope you're enjoying your retirement. Anyways, I did upgrade to a new iMac this year so it's not that I'm cheap and I did buy an iPod Touch for myself at Christmas too. Eventually I'll get a new MacBook and at that time I'm hoping touch will be more prominent in them. One more thing about my PowerBook G4, the bottom never gets too warm.

Well, I'm not that old. I'll be 59 in November. I retired when I was 54. So you can make it soon.
  • Reply 97 of 311
    Quote:

Mr H. will you please read my first post.

EDIT: (It's on page 1, post #8)

Yes, but it's not what the article, or the discussion, is about. And you keep pushing cpu's etc.
  • Reply 98 of 311
    Quote:

Yes, but it's not what the article, or the discussion, is about. And you keep pushing cpu's etc.

This discussion is mainly about my original post. And in that post, I clearly listed all the changes that have been made since "THE ORIGINAL POWERBOOK G4." Make of that what you will.
  • Reply 99 of 311
    Quote:

Well, I'm not that old. I'll be 59 in November. I retired when I was 54. So you can make it soon.

That's why I was careful on how I worded things. I'm not too sure when I'll retire. I think it'll be when my body tells me. I love my job but I'm not married to it.
  • Reply 100 of 311
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Yes the Macbook Pro has man new features which are under the hood, but when people say that nothing has changed they are referring to the case and keyboard design. It has been the same design (MINOR changes) for the last few years.

Quote:

When he says "same design," is he referring to the same color? Because the design of the MacBook Pro has completely changed since the PowerBook G4.

Just a few changes..

New Processors,

New Motherboard design,

New RAM,

New Keyboard design,

LED displays,

New Trackpad with MultiTouch,

iSight Camera added,

Magsafe connector added,

Backlight Keyboard added,

New Speakers and placement,

New Wi-FI 802.11n,

Bluetooth 2.1 added,

Firewire 800 port,

PCI express slot added,

Slimmer enclosure.

Basically, the only thing that has not changed since the original PowerBook G4 is the color.

I just don't get why people always say it has not been redesigned in ages.