MobileMe now in good hands with Eddy at the helm, insider says

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 67
    That was one of the most entertaining articles I've read in a long time.
  • Reply 22 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Because he was just appointed to fix .Mac/MM.



    FTA: "Those who are familiar with Cue know him for managing the iTunes Store to resounding global success, but he was also a force behind .Mac and the ever popular Apple Online Store." Has he been the "force" behind .mac or not? I'll take AI's word for it. .mac couldn't do what several free services could do. It drove people crazy, a total failure, no where near the standards Apple showed elsewhere, but I guess Jobs was hypnotized by Cue's wizardry.
  • Reply 23 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post


    FTA: Those who are familiar with Cue know him for managing the iTunes Store to resounding global success, but he was also a force behind .Mac and the ever popular Apple Online Store.



    Mea culpa.
  • Reply 24 of 67
    I think that the "me" moniker is just cursed. Remember Windows ME?
  • Reply 25 of 67
    ouraganouragan Posts: 424member
    Exceptional report, a first hand account, and no wish list, speculation, guessing, etc.



    Let's hope that we will read Apple veteran Chuq von Rospach more often on AppleInsider.



    My only disagreement is with Chuq von Rospach's choice for the next Apple CEO as I favour Tim Cook, the current Apple COO.



    Unlike Chuq von Rospach, I didn't work for Eddie Cue, so that I have no reason to favour him over anyone else. But von Rospach's description of Eddie Cue leads me to believe that he is too much like Steve Jobs in a negative way. What Apple needs is not another obsessive, whimsical and secretive CEO, but a CEO with the academic background, experience and vision to take Apple to the next level and allow it to reach a 30% market share on the desktop.



  • Reply 26 of 67
    Well Eddie, mine doesn't work. Since 2.01
  • Reply 27 of 67
    mabe MobileMe is in line to get a name change as well. I think the name just plain sucks!

    Mabe they'll change the name to MobileHome or something
  • Reply 28 of 67
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 1,831member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    Do you advise to buy it now or wait?

    I mean why pay for something that's not working right. It's like paying for cable TV without all the channels your supposed to get and paid for- right?



    Works fine for me. Not sure what issues the other person is having. Other than "Back to my Mac" in which the issues largely pertain to incompatible routers - it's not compatible with my router apparently, but honestly, I don't have a real need for it anyway.



    Other than that, Sync/Push works fine. Can log into the web site and use the applications.
  • Reply 29 of 67
    Good, because the gallery is still as slow as molasses on a January day, my domain name doesn't link properly due to a fault at Apple rather than at the domain registry, and they still haven't added my extra 30 days to my account.
  • Reply 30 of 67
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member
    I don't like the use of AJAX in MobileMe to make the web apps the same quality as desktop apps.



    I am not against quality, but the purpose of web apps is to be as compatible as possible, so you can read your email when you're in an Internet cafe is Istanbul (or something). But their use of AJAX has made it incompatible.
  • Reply 31 of 67
    akacakac Posts: 510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post


    I don't like the use of AJAX in MobileMe to make the web apps the same quality as desktop apps.



    I am not against quality, but the purpose of web apps is to be as compatible as possible, so you can read your email when you're in an Internet cafe is Istanbul (or something). But their use of AJAX has made it incompatible.



    ? Its compatible with every major web browser. What are you using? Netscape? Lynx?
  • Reply 32 of 67
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    Do you advise to buy it now or wait?

    I mean why pay for something that's not working right. It's like paying for cable TV without all the channels your supposed to get and paid for- right?



    ...why not just...sign up for the...free trial and see for yourself?
  • Reply 33 of 67
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post


    ? Its compatible with every major web browser. What are you using? Netscape? Lynx?



    What is the first graphic on this page?

    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...bile_push.html
  • Reply 34 of 67
    peteropetero Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by artse View Post


    If Eddy Cue is responsible for "back-end infrastructures", why the h*** wasn't he responsible for MobleMe from the start? That's totally on Steve...



    Exactly! I'm boggled why such an (over) ambitious hardware and service launch didn't have Apple's top back-end person at the helm.....



    .
  • Reply 35 of 67
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    one day in the life of mr O:



    1. internet : Facebook = addressbook which is being updated by your friends, mail with friends, sharing & tagging pictures and creating events

    2. internet : Gmail = work mail, Facebook notifications and newsletters.

    3. desktop : Apple mail = reading and replying to messages fom my various Gmail accounts.

    4. internet: Youtube = sharing videos with your friends which can be linked to the various social networking sites.



    5. internet: MobileMe = obsolete. Sorry.
  • Reply 36 of 67
    If it's the case, I'am full of hope!



    Indeed as you know Apple refused to refund my MobileMe subscription I cancelled within 45 days



    BECAUSE I PAID MY SUBSCRIPTION ON THE ONLINE APPLE STORE AND NOT ON MOBILEME!



    So I hope Eddy will read my reponse and finally business "ethic" will prevail



    Otherwise, Apple is really a "Kafka house"
  • Reply 37 of 67
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post


    I said it here on day one, someone was going to be fired. I wonder who was replaced?



    Exactly.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post


    As opposed to sexy back ends....he he he



    Nice. I'm into the top front ends as well...



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by artse View Post


    If Eddy Cue is responsible for "back-end infrastructures", why the h*** wasn't he responsible for MobleMe from the start? That's totally on Steve...



    That's my question. It's nice to know who the new guy is but who was the one that had a new a&&hole ripped by Steve the man himself? Where is he going next? Oracle? AT&T?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post


    one day in the life of mr O:

    1. internet : Facebook = addressbook which is being updated by your friends, mail with friends, sharing & tagging pictures and creating events

    2. internet : Gmail = work mail, Facebook notifications and newsletters.

    3. desktop : Apple mail = reading and replying to messages fom my various Gmail accounts.

    4. internet: Youtube = sharing videos with your friends which can be linked to the various social networking sites.

    5. internet: MobileMe = obsolete. Sorry.



    Mr O, MobileMe isn't for everyone. But for those that do not like FaceBook, get bored of the rubbish and poor quality videos on YouTube, etc... and when push email works properly... MobileMe still has potential. Also Vimeo vs YouTube.



    Maybe I am old skool (well old new skool not old old skool) but I just see FaceBook as 90% of the time, a waste of my time. Not that I am a hermit or anything... If I had that time available to "socialise" on FaceBook I would rather spend that time having tea/lunch or talking with people I like in person.
  • Reply 38 of 67
    nceencee Posts: 836member
    So, would it be safe to say, folks want their iPhone, to work like a phone first, then give them the option for "Bells and Whistles" later.



    Bring back the parts and pieces, one at a time, as they get them working perfectly ?

    Add new features, only after they fix the IMPORTANT ones, and only add new features after they have been check and found to work ?

    Don't do anything new at all (laptops, Mac Mini, AppleTV, iPods, Desktop units, or Monitors, UNTIL all of this mess is fixed ? or - Do they come out with some cool sheit to take everyone's mind off of this issue?



    Folks, I've said before, and I'll say it again, we want the latest and greatest, (NOW) and when it doesn't work, we get angry. Let's wait until it is ready, and until it's ready, play with (and learn) what we have for now.



    YES, they screwed up with this one ? and now they have to redeem themselves, but how do they do that, and make EVERYONE happy ? can't happen. So some of you out there get ready to be disappointed and down right pissed.



    While others, get ready to put a really big smile on your face.
  • Reply 39 of 67
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    Maybe I am old skool (well old new skool not old old skool) but I just see FaceBook as 90% of the time, a waste of my time. Not that I am a hermit or anything... If I had that time available to "socialise" on FaceBook I would rather spend that time having tea/lunch or talking with people I like in person.



    well, talking about you having tea with your friends. With Facebook you can skip the polite chitchatting of "what have you been up to" and get straight to a good old friends conversation.



    I agree there's alotof crap on youtube, but it is the best gateway to people's lives - ahum profiles.



    So, if you ever feel the need of spreading your love! Make a quality vid with iMovie and post it to Youtube and maybe it will find its way to my Facebook wall of posted items
  • Reply 40 of 67
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Cue's latest challenge, as revealed in an email from Jobs to Apple employees earlier this week, is to rescue MobileMe from the mistakes that plagued its launch, repair its tarnished reputation, and steer it down a path that the company can be "proud of by the end of this year.



    Didn't Appleinsider report some time ago about a very talented employee leaving Apple because he did't agree with the way Apple was treating the web 2.0 thing?! Did he see the MobileMe failure coming?!



    Does anyone remember the story?



    I hope Apple won't be too proud to get back to him and have a cup of tea?!
Sign In or Register to comment.