IBM expands Lotus Notes Mac support to iPhone (screenshots)

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iFerd View Post

I guess this has been said, but perhaps not quite so plainly.

For some of us, Lotus Notes is what we must use for email and calendaring because that's what our organizations have adopted. It makes no difference whether Mail and iCal are great or not - they aren't options for our business needs. I for one would love to be able to ditch the BlackBerry I've been issued and carry only my iPhone. But I can't do that so long as there is no way for me to interact in real time with Lotus Notes for email and calendaring.

We're using Notes 7.0.2 in my organization. It would be nice to find that the comments about version 8 are true. It's coming to us someday, or so the story goes. But even so, that alone won't help with the iPhone.

I'm in the same boat. Getting Notes to work on my iPhone has been a pain. iNotes doesn't work properly, so the solution my IT department came up with was to allow me POP3 access so I could at least get my mail on my iPhone. I can't respond to meeting invites, schedule meeting, see my calendar or pull any names or addresses off the domino server (which makes sending mail to a large group more trouble than it's worth on the phone), but at least I can get my mail while I'm out of the office.

I, for one, can't wait for Notes on the iPhone as a native app. There are several others in our organization that feel that way as well. I suspect that when it finally happens, a lot of our Blackberries will be in the ... um... dustbin.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DestructoTex View Post

I'm in the same boat. Getting Notes to work on my iPhone has been a pain. iNotes doesn't work properly, so the solution my IT department came up with was to allow me POP3 access so I could at least get my mail on my iPhone. I can't respond to meeting invites, schedule meeting, see my calendar or pull any names or addresses off the domino server (which makes sending mail to a large group more trouble than it's worth on the phone), but at least I can get my mail while I'm out of the office.

I, for one, can't wait for Notes on the iPhone as a native app. There are several others in our organization that feel that way as well. I suspect that when it finally happens, a lot of our Blackberries will be in the ... um... dustbin.

Let me clarify here (after re-reading my post it makes it sound like I *choke* like Lotus Notes)... I hate LotusNotes with a burning passion. It has some decent functionality, but it's slow, non-intuitive in a lot of its UI and WAY bloated with "features." But it's what our company uses, so I swallow the bitter pill and use it.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    ajmasajmas Posts: 597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DestructoTex View Post

Let me clarify here (after re-reading my post it makes it sound like I *choke* like Lotus Notes)... I hate LotusNotes with a burning passion. It has some decent functionality, but it's slow, non-intuitive in a lot of its UI and WAY bloated with "features." But it's what our company uses, so I swallow the bitter pill and use it.

Given the iPhone version is totally new implementation, maybe this will give them a chance to work on a better UI and user experience. What they learn could even make its way back to the desktop, but only time will tell.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    How about syncing notes and tasks on the iPhone?
  • Reply 25 of 35
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

Given the iPhone version is totally new implementation, maybe this will give them a chance to work on a better UI and user experience. What they learn could even make its way back to the desktop, but only time will tell.

No need to... Notes 8 and Notes 8.5 (currently on public beta) already have a great and highly intuitive UI... its just that "ajams" and alot of people like him are stuck in the past!
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeanJ View Post

No need to... Notes 8 and Notes 8.5 (currently on public beta) already have a great and highly intuitive UI... its just that "ajams" and alot of people like him are stuck in the past!

Correction: our IT departments are stuck in the past. We're on iPhones, remember?
  • Reply 27 of 35
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

@eAi, abrooks, razorpit, DaveGee

Suprised to see Microsoft stooges lurking on an Apple forum...

I have a feeling my post went TOTALLY over your head... My intention was to paint Gates and company as DICTATORS who simply round up and shoot anyone who doesn't follow in lock step with their own vision of a perfect world...

Microsoft stooge... HA thats a good one...

Dave
  • Reply 28 of 35
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trapper View Post

Again: We're talking about a web application here, not about an actual iPhone app!

We're talking about a lot more than that.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PeterRRRRRR View Post

Quote:

"The original Lotus, which IBM purchased in 1995, stumbled in the mid 80s in part due to its weak support for the new Macintosh. The company then held a lock on the DOS spreadsheet market with Lotus 1-2-3, but its equivalent product for Apple's new Mac, called Lotus Jazz, failed miserably in part due to its lack of following Apple's human interface guidelines. Jazz was also expensive, late, and buggy."

You can't seriously believe that?? The influence of the Mac in the marketplace in the mid 80s (maybe before some other posters were even born?) was less than negligible. Lotus was an incredible cash machine in its day, but IBM bought them after their peak years. And then Microsoft set their sights on the Office market, used every advantage they had, and the rest is history. Even if Jazz had been a great product (which it wasn't), it would have played no role in IBM/Lotus's eventually being relegated to the dustbin.

What they're saying is true. Jazz, for example was terrible. Really terrible.

They aren't saying that the rejection of it by Mac users destroyed Lotus, just Lotus's products for the Mac.

MS's illegal methods of holding back important Windows API's from competing developers killed not only Lotus, but also Wordperfect, and DBase.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

I have a feeling my post went TOTALLY over your head... My intention was to paint Gates and company as DICTATORS who simply round up and shoot anyone who doesn't follow in lock step with their own vision of a perfect world...

Microsoft stooge... HA thats a good one...

Dave

Well, you're a KNOWN MS stooge, aren't you?

DavidEnderleDevorakGee
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

We're talking about a lot more than that.

You're right, we are. At least this thread is.

IBM is NOT, though: What they annouced is safari only (see [1], [2] : "iNotes ultralite is supported on the Apple iPhone or Apple iPod touch. And because it is entirely browser based, ...")

Additionally, I haven't seen any indication that the old "notes client for the iPhone" thoughts have been revived.

Or did I miss something?

[1] http://www-306.ibm.com/software/lotu...ess/ultralite/

[2] http://infocenters.lotus.com/help7/i...ODE_STEPS.html
  • Reply 32 of 35
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

Oh god ... notes.

• Reply 33 of 35
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

@eAi, abrooks, razorpit, DaveGee

Suprised to see Microsoft stooges lurking on an Apple forum...

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pr...ease/24825.wss

That's funny, one minute I'm accused of being an Apple fanboy, the next a Microsoft stooge. I didn't mean to offend you or the very, very small group of LotusNotes users. All I did was ask if anyone was still using this software. No one I know of uses it in business.

Tip: Chill out a little bit before you start tossing labels around...
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trapper View Post

You're right, we are. At least this thread is.

IBM is NOT, though: What they annouced is safari only (see [1], [2] : "iNotes ultralite is supported on the Apple iPhone or Apple iPod touch. And because it is entirely browser based, ...")

Additionally, I haven't seen any indication that the old "notes client for the iPhone" thoughts have been revived.

Or did I miss something?

[1] http://www-306.ibm.com/software/lotu...ess/ultralite/

[2] http://infocenters.lotus.com/help7/i...ODE_STEPS.html

IBM has announced much more than that. Even if you just read this story again, you will see that. They are bringing DB to the Mac as well, and no doubt, there will be some interface to the iPhone once that major project is finished.

IBM seems to have a lot of plans for Apple's products since they divested themselves of their own computer division.

This is just the latest in a number of announcements from IBM releating to the Mac and iPhone.

That's the point here. It's not just an interface to Notes on the iPhone that matters, but how that adds to, and fits into, their other moves that matters.

Looking into moving more Macs into their own organization, having "cross pollination" etc.

Don't forget that IBM and Apple have worked together in the past other than with the PPC chip families. This looks to be another moving together.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    of course you would be betting on Apple if you're IBM...
    Peter from Cashaphone