When will Apple allow themes (eg Summerboard ect...)

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
There are some nice themes out there and im sure the same old black background and icons get boring after a while. Right now you can only use them if you jailbreak iphone but I was wondering when will Apple allow users to use them without having to jailbreak them?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    zoczoc Posts: 77member
    Never
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Hopefully not for another 30 years, because it'll be over Steve Job's dead body.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Why do you all say that? Do you not agree the themes look better than the current set up? All phones allow a level of customisation.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Personally, I don't care one way or another, but it's my impression from the lack of built-in customization options available for OS X that Steve Jobs doesn't like people fiddling with the look of the core operating system. Hence, if Apple allows the user to make those types of changes, it means Steve Jobs has past on and the stock will lose a huge amount of its value.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I dont see how changing the physical look of the OS is a bad thing. People will surley get bored after a while and its not like they are changing it for good.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

I dont see how changing the physical look of the OS is a bad thing. People will surley get bored after a while and its not like they are changing it for good.

The Mac OS X desktop already revises itself every 18 months at this rate.

I also put forth the idea of TREMENDOUS waste in resources perpetuated by Microsoft's allowance of minor tweaking with what should be unchangeable things.

Someone walking a customer through a Control Panel function or menu over the phone has to deal with the fact that there are two 'ways' to view the options, with a completely different number of icons and that if you want, you can make the Control Panel adhere to standard folder listing styles. There is no always-consistent way to describe to someone how to get to that sound preference checkbox or the display adjustment. That has to accumulate so many wasted callcenter/helpdesk hours dealing with someone not even aware of the disconnect between what they're being told and how THEIR windows are configured.

And Apple users know the contrast: System Preferences is completely immutable, regardless of resolution, configuration or hardware (except for the pro towers). I can say, look for this icon (there aren't two versions of the icon), or look in that corner or that row (there is no way to adjust that).

Also requiring a variable and substantial number of clicks to find out what the hell processor or memory was in Windows XP was awful. It's mildly more sane in Vista.