Apple poised for special event this September

Comments

• Reply 221 of 311
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I admit when I'm wrong.

I've never seen it happen. And I've been reading AppleInsider threads for a long time.

Quote:

This is an opinion.

On the question of whether "wedge" or "teardrop" better describe the shape, I agree that it is neither wholly wedge shaped or wholly teardrop shaped. I suggest that it would be possible to objectively measure which shape the Air is closest to, but this would be time consuming and not worth the effort.

I had previously thought it was obviously more like a teardrop, but your post suggests otherwise. Touché
  • Reply 222 of 311
    How about we talk about when Apple might schedule this event now..
  • Reply 223 of 311
    My complete guess is the 16th. It's a Tuesday and the day after the ipod rebate offer ends.
  • Reply 224 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Thats definitely not a 2003 Powerbook G4. The original PowerBook G4's (titanium) had black keyboards, plus Garageband didn't exist in 2003.

At any rate, I understand that the color has always been the same, but everything else has changed. It has been redesigned many times.

Wrong re. 2003 Powerbook G4. That is a G4 PB 17" (on the right) and was announced/released january 2003. I know because I'm still working on mine. Garage Band showed up later with upgrades to the OS - currently running Leopard on my baby. Notice the "feet" on the G4 - anyone who had a G4 PB could tell you about them falling off.
  • Reply 225 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ByronVanArsdale View Post

Wrong re. 2003 Powerbook G4. That is a G4 PB 17" (on the right) and was announced/released january 2003. I know because I'm still working on mine. Garage Band showed up later with upgrades to the OS - currently running Leopard on my baby. Notice the "feet" on the G4 - anyone who had a G4 PB could tell you about them falling off.

guess you didn't read too much of the thread before replying? Please, let's not beat that dead horse any more (yes, you're right, BTW).
  • Reply 226 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nowayout11 View Post

My complete guess is the 16th. It's a Tuesday and the day after the ipod rebate offer ends.

That makes sense. Originally I was expecting/hoping something would happen beginning of August, but, well, that didn't happen. So mid September now seems like the most realistic expectation. Still quite a wait
  • Reply 227 of 311
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I've never seen it happen. And I've been reading AppleInsider threads for a long time.

Well, then you've missed a lot. I've been defended about this before.

Quote:

On the question of whether "wedge" or "teardrop" better describe the shape, I agree that it is neither wholly wedge shaped or wholly teardrop shaped. I suggest that it would be possible to objectively measure which shape the Air is closest to, but this would be time consuming and not worth the effort.

I had previously thought it was obviously more like a teardrop, but your post suggests otherwise. Touché

I'm just going by the fact that a teardrop has concave sides (sucked in, as the pictures of teardrops on this thread have shown) moving up the drop to the point, whereas a wedge has convex, straight, or multi-angled sides (ballooned out) moving up to the point. That's a big difference. Many wedges don't have straight sides, and many have rounded ends.

The Air isn't a teardrop, as most writers have understood, as they have called it a wedge, because the view from the side isn't concave, it's convex.

Look carefully at the pictures of the teardrops, esp, the thinner ones. Where would the computer go inside a case like that?
  • Reply 228 of 311
    seriously your argument is that it isn't concave....... ???wow. well actually for your information wedges almost always have one flat side for example a door wedge. and that difference i think is greater than the "Oh no its not concave".

"The Air isn't a teardrop, as most writers have understood"

your right the masses are always right /sarcasm

while you are right it isn't a perfect tear drop its pretty darn close and it does look a lot like that classic shape

and the deffinition as stated on dictionary.com is

"having a globular form at the bottom, tapering to a point at the top."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/teardrop
  • Reply 229 of 311
    PS i have decided to creat a new thread it will be titled " is the Macbook air teardrop or wedge shaped?"

please continue over there and we can continue what this thread is about.
  • Reply 230 of 311
    mahkmahk Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zerfman View Post

PS i have decided to creat a new thread it will be titled " is the Macbook air teardrop or wedge shaped?"

please continue over there and we can continue what this thread is about.

Thank you, thank you, a thousand times thank you. My eyes were starting to bleed from all this nonsense ...
  • Reply 231 of 311
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:

seriously your argument is that it isn't concave....... ???wow. well actually for your information wedges almost always have one flat side for example a door wedge. and that difference i think is greater than the "Oh no its not concave".

while you are right it isn't a perfect tear drop its pretty darn close and it does look a lot like that classic shape

Thank you. Gosh, if I had started with the dictionary this could have been settled a while back.

The argument that "most writers" have described it as a wedge isn't backed up by anything. It's not that big a deal, but let's be honest here. If we're going stickily by the "credential-ed" writers, it's around half and half for both. Adding in forum posts probably just amplifies the numbers. If we go simply by what's in this thread, there's a majority who think it's teardrop-shaped. Depends on what metric you wanna use or believe.
  • Reply 232 of 311
    mahkmahk Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Thank you. Gosh, if I had started with the dictionary this could have been settled a while back.

The argument that "most writers" have described it as a wedge isn't backed up by anything. It's not that big a deal, but let's be honest here. If we're going stickily by the "credential-ed" writers, it's around half and half for both. Adding in forum posts probably just amplifies the numbers. If we go simply by what's in this thread, there's a majority who think it's teardrop-shaped. Depends on what metric you wanna use or believe.

ENOUGH! Take it to the other thread ...
  • Reply 233 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mahk View Post

ENOUGH! Take it to the other thread ...

Sorry, enough's enough. I'm done.
  • Reply 234 of 311
    Does anyone think that the current Macbook Pro laptops will drop in price when the new ones come out?

Thanks!
  • Reply 235 of 311
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Redtail View Post

Does anyone think that the current Macbook Pro laptops will drop in price when the new ones come out?

They do end up on clearance, but you have to nab one before it's gone, sometimes they are hard to find.
  • Reply 236 of 311
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Go back to sleep.
  • Reply 237 of 311
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:

I thought the Macbooks are polycarbonate.

But the tit. shell was much thinner than the aluminum shell, and so the alum. shell is stiffer.

The Tit. models were not stiff at all, and that was a major problem with them.

Ya gotta use a differnet abbreviation! Ti works. "Tit" combined with "stiff" is just.....wrong. Or right. Just saying'....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Why would a consensus of people who don't know anything matter?

Because crowds are smart! Haven't you read Wired? They say it every six issues, so it must be true!

Okay, so the fascinating shape-fight is over? So, what tearwedge-shaped goodies might we see at the proposed event?
  • Reply 238 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jouster View Post

So, what tearwedge-shaped goodies might we see at the proposed event?

Redesigned MacBook Pro with tapered edges, LED backlit display, magnetic latch, black backlit keyboard, oversized Air-like Multi-Touch trackpad, maybe an optional SSD, and a long, narrow, removable battery that, when removed, gives access to the hard drive bay (as seen in the spy shots).

If the MacBook is updated the same day, I'm predicting a similar tapered-edge facelift, but it'll retain its polycarbonate black and white plastic material. An SSD option is less likely.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jouster View Post

Okay, so the fascinating shape-fight is over?

Pretty much, but make sure to participate in the nerdy goodness of zerfman's MacBook Air Teardrop vs. Wedge Poll
  • Reply 239 of 311
    Quote:

Go back to sleep.

ha, wait now you have convinced me. good point.....
  • Reply 240 of 311
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Redesigned MacBook Pro with tapered edges, LED backlit display, magnetic latch, black backlit keyboard, oversized Air-like Multi-Touch trackpad, maybe an optional SSD, and a long, narrow, removable battery that, when removed, gives access to the hard drive bay (as seen in the spy shots).

Yes please. I've seen the LED displays and they're way nicer than my fluorescent MacBook screen. I also much prefer the darker keyboard the Air sports. I was a TiBook owner back in the day and would like a move back in that direction in Apple's designs. I never took to the aluminum laptops.

Quote:

If the MacBook is updated the same day, I'm predicting a similar tapered-edge facelift, but it'll retain its polycarbonate black and white plastic material. An SSD option is less likely.

Well, my Macbook is the worst-constructed computer I've ever bought from Apple, and I've bought a few. The Bezel is falling off and there are thin pieces of plastic missing along the latch end of the base. Very disappointing, especially since I am not exactly throwing it around. My wife's is showing signs of the same issues and she hardly ever moves it. So that redesign sounds good, as long as it addresses these issues. *Many* people have reported them since the iBook morphed into the MacBook.

Quote:

Pretty much, but make sure to participate in the nerdy goodness of zerfman's MacBook Air Teardrop vs. Wedge Poll

I did....... ;-)