Three-Alarm fire scorches key building on Apple campus

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    The G5 (PowerPC 970) is a scaled-down version of IBM's POWER4 processor with an Altivec processing unit tacked on for good measure. The POWER4, being a chip targeted at more massive computing environments, was not exactly designed with power consumption and heat dissipation in mind.

It was a great idea at the time, but IBM was unwilling and unable to scale it. Promising Steve Jobs a 3GHz part and not delivering it to him is not exactly a good business decision.
  • Reply 42 of 58
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Anybody know where Ballmer was last night? Just asking.
  • Reply 43 of 58
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Hydrogen. cell. batteries.

You heard it here first people.

Nope. Hydrogen causes an explosion, not a lot of smoke damage. You might hear "a lot of water damage" to indicate a major fire.
  • Reply 44 of 58
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    They could have put it out earlier if they had used an iHose.
  • Reply 45 of 58
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Ahhhh.....

The old Valley Green buildings, across the street from the newer Infinity Loop campus, and down the street from the old Mariani headquarters. I spent way too much time in the halls and cubicles of those older Apple buildings.

For the life of me I cannot recall if this was one of the buildings where they literally had a huge walk-in, working space vault, complete with guards, where I first saw internet camera prototypes and models of what would later become mainline Macs. Way cool.

Or perhaps this was where Larry Tesler once housed his ATG (Advanced Technology Group) folks, but I think that was Valley Green 3.

Ah, the good old days....
  • Reply 46 of 58
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Maybe something to do with the iPhone kill switch?
  • Reply 47 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Ahhhh.....

The old Valley Green buildings, across the street from the newer Infinity Loop campus, and down the street from the old Mariani headquarters. I spent way too much time in the halls and cubicles of those older Apple buildings.

For the life of me I cannot recall if this was one of the buildings where they literally had a huge walk-in, working space vault, complete with guards, where I first saw internet camera prototypes and models of what would later become mainline Macs. Way cool.

Or perhaps this was where Larry Tesler once housed his ATG (Advanced Technology Group) folks, but I think that was Valley Green 3.

Ah, the good old days....

When I worked there, it was R&D for CPUs (as they were called then). Could have been the old ATG house, but Larry was out on Bubb Road with the Newton (I think).
  • Reply 48 of 58
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wraithofwonder View Post

Does this mean the Apple Hydrogen Fuel Cell Hovercraft with traffic avoiding artificial intelligence satellite hookup, auto drive and Blu-ray player shall be delayed?

Unfortunately, its looking like it will be.
  • Reply 49 of 58
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Stevenson View Post

When I worked there, it was R&D for CPUs (as they were called then). Could have been the old ATG house, but Larry was out on Bubb Road with the Newton (I think).

You Apple veterans, what does your guts tell you will be the effect on Apple's product schedule because of this?

Is this a disaster or is there anything to worry about at all?
  • Reply 50 of 58
    I'm gonna need a free year for this.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    Glad no one was hurt. Perhaps a battery overheated.
  • Reply 52 of 58
    old-wizold-wiz Posts: 194member
    Meth labs tend to explode violently, not just burn.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

You Apple veterans, what does your guts tell you will be the effect on Apple's product schedule because of this?

Don't worry.....they use Time Machine.
  • Reply 54 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applestockholder View Post

What is a "three alarm fire"?????

A three alarm fire is a fire where the original responders (the first alarm) have to call for additional help twice (the other two alarms).
  • Reply 55 of 58
    The Lama

The one-l lama,

He's a priest.

The two-l llama,

He's a beast.

And I will bet

A silk pajama

There isn't any

Three-l lllama.*

\t-- Ogden Nash

*The author's attention has been called to a type of conflagration known

as a three-alarmer. Pooh.
  • Reply 56 of 58
    Quote:

Nah, no real problemo from my perspective. Redundancy was (and hopefully still is) ingrained into everything you do there - whether you're an full-blown employee or consultant.
  • Reply 57 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Stevenson View Post

Yes, I have to go along with you on where Larry's actual office was, but there was a time where I was meeting with the CPU group (sounds silly to say now, doesn't it?) regarding acceleration and the group involved was clearly part of ATG. Come to think of it, some of them did move over to the newer campus to work on the Newton. Funny how you forget the details until someone says the secret word?
  • Reply 58 of 58
    Quote:

Unfortunately, its looking like it will be.

Forgive me, but I must blame you.