So I ran Norton on OS X

sebseb
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Ran Norton (not the beta) on my OS X drive.

Don't do it.

My clock is now stuck in military mode - 1PM = 13:00.

A bunch of stuff is now visible in the "MacHD" finder window - stuff like Mach, Mach Sys, DS_Store, a "Dev" alias and some other junk.

I think it happened because Norton took the "." (periods) off the beginning of the filenames.

Oh, and I had to create a new user/re-register when I logged back in. Deleted the new user though, because my other two user accounts were there.

Say, anyone know how to get those files to be invisible again? Can you install X 10.1 over 10.1.2?

Sheesh, what was I thinking?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    I feel for you.. I ran TechTool Pro which shipped with Apple Care on a TiBook which shipped with OS X.

All Files got moved to the root directory.

The System file, various web pages, gifs, fron the browser cache, apple help guides.. every file was just sitting in the HD window.

I think it was like 16,000 files.

I bought a biiger HD and started over.

MSKR
  • Reply 2 of 19
    gnomgnom Posts: 85member
    golden rule for HD Utils:

don´t use old versions on new OSes

If version "x" of the HD Util says it runs with OS "y" wait at the very least for version x.2.

bye.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 4 of 19
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    I've used Norton since OS X was released and have had no problems because of it. By the way I did have the military clock problem ( but, not after using Norton. It was after updating to 10.1.2 ). You can fix this by opening the System Preferences, clicking on International, and the time tab. I know it's a dumb place to put this but, you can make changes there.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by jimmac:

<strong>I've used Norton since OS X was released and have had no problems because of it. By the way I did have the military clock problem ( but, not after using Norton. It was after updating to 10.1.2 ). You can fix this by opening the System Preferences, clicking on International, and the time tab. I know it's a dumb place to put this but, you can make changes there. </strong><hr></blockquote>

That isn't a dump place at all, in fact the 24 hour format is very common worldwide. I don't even understand why some countries use this AM/PM stuff - this is like giving september a number like 2 PMY (post mid year)

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: DasDaSein ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Most people will look for this in Date and Time.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    Well, the Mac I did this little experiment on is just a beige Mac I have at work specifically to do things like this with.

There was no important data on it.

I just wanted to see what would happen (famous last words).

One of these days I'll see what happens if I try to reinstall OS X 10.1 over 10.1.2. Will the two user settings hold up? Any guesses?

And thanks for the military time thing - I could've sworn I'd seen that somewhere before. Just didn't think to look in "international". Although it does make sense in an odd international way. Perhaps an "International" tab in the Date and Time pref would be more appropriate.

[ 02-11-2002: Message edited by: seb ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 19
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by seb:

<strong>A bunch of stuff is now visible in the "MacHD" finder window - stuff like Mach, Mach Sys, DS_Store, a "Dev" alias and some other junk.

I think it happened because Norton took the "." (periods) off the beginning of the filenames.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd love to know why it did that.

And I really hope it doesn't do that in OS 9.

Looks like I'll stick with fsck for a while longer.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>

I'd love to know why it did that.

And I really hope it doesn't do that in OS 9.

Looks like I'll stick with fsck for a while longer.</strong><hr></blockquote>

did the same thing to me a couple months ago. No longer use a disk utility as a result
  • Reply 10 of 19
    the norton beta made some weird things happen, so after much hassle and a few processes killed, i managed to get it all deleted. been using norton 6.0.3 from cd and that fixes and optimizes OSX just fine.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Still haven't had any wierd side affects yet from the beta.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>I'd love to know why it did that.</strong><hr></blockquote>

IIRC you can set the Prefs that it asks you before if you wan´t to "fix" Files beginning with "." rather than fixing them without asking.

bye.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Aye, I never have Norton fix anything without first prompting me with a dialog box. And don't run anything earlier than Norton 6.0 (SystemWorks 1.0) on an OS X volume!
  • Reply 14 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>Aye, I never have Norton fix anything without first prompting me with a dialog box. And don't run anything earlier than Norton 6.0 (SystemWorks 1.0) on an OS X volume!</strong><hr></blockquote>

according to symantec's website, you shouldn't use anything earlier than 6.0.2 on OSX drives. FWIW
  • Reply 15 of 19
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Norton Beta? Not two words I would like to be on a cd I put in my PB. People who are running beta disk utilities on their computers live dangerous lifes. Complete OS´es like X Public Beta and 10.0.0 -&gt; 10.0.4 is another story
  • Reply 16 of 19
    so, what's the magic word???

Diskwarrior
  • Reply 17 of 19
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Yeah, DiskWarrior is grand...but PlusOptimizer, I have never run. After optimizing my disk with Norton Speed Disk, I decided I'd see what Plus Optimizer would do...

It projected a duration of 700 minutes! And that's progress bar time so it really probably meant 3x as long.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    PlusOptimizer is a killer. I had it run EIGHT hours on a 10GB drive. Then I was told that it doesn't do much anyway. Blah.

BTW, you WILL have the problem of Norton removing the "." from files unless you use the latest 6.03! I ran 6.0 once and it reverted all folders with a ".". Ever since 6.03 (maybe even .02, I dont know) it addresses these issues correctly. I have had no problems with fixing and analyzing an HD with OS X on it using 6.03. Just use the "Instant Update" (or whatever its called) to update it from the net. Pretty nifty, like Software Update from Apple. It updates the Norton Shared Library in the extensions folder and a couple other apps.

Also if you use the Speed Disk utility (love it) use the OS X version 4 profile thats floating around on the net. I have it too and can post it on my iDisk if anyone wants it.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Wow! That was fast. It seems Norton has released System Works 2.0 which has native support for OS X. Just yesterday I read on Think Secret that it wasn't going to ship until summer. Not complaining though.