HP EliteBooks announced at SIGGRAPH

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/fe...8/08elite.html

Specs: HP EliteBook 8730w Mobile Workstation - Specifications and Warranty

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...1-3784202.html

This OpenGL Portable CAD Workstation comes out in September 2008.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Apple offers for the MacBook Pro lineup.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    They just announced a couple monitors as well:

HP LP2475w 24-inch Widescreen LCD Monitor - Overview

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ctID=c01502799

Highlight: (2) DVI-I, HDMI, DisplayPort, component video, S-Video, composite video

TGDaily has more info on the pricing:

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/38853/135/
  • Reply 2 of 11
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    You know, it'd be nice if Apple offered cpu and gpu options on the MBP. HP does it, why can't Apple?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    HP redoing their notebook lineup, Dell redoing their notebook lineup. Apple?

P.S. I see that the new Dell E-Series notebooks have eSATA & Display Port.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    That 24-incher looks like a badass display.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Seeing first Sony redesign their line-up almost entirely, then Dell just recently with their sweet new professional line redesigns, and now HP makes the MacBooks dated in terms of technology. I saw a Dell on Engaget (I think it was one of the new Precisions) have up to four cores, and up to 8GB of potential RAM, with 1GB in dedicated graphics power! Now, whehter all that power can/will be used by Vista/XP software is debatable, but those tech specs do look amazing.

Design is a completely different issue here but if you look at these PC vendors, who have previously produced bland, uninspired, and "thick" notebooks, these are leaps and bounds better design-wise.

All this means one thing: Apple better have something amazing up their sleeves come September, and it better be priced right as well, because the competition is heating up!

Links:

Sony redesign (Engadget)

Dell's new Precision line (Engadget)

Dell's new Latitude line (Engaget)

HP's new Elitebooks (PC Mag)

All I'm asking for is more customizable CPU and GPU options in all MacBooks (regular and Pro). Is that so hard to do, Apple?

Oh, and one more thing, please: can we add another USB port to the Air? A non-recessed one? Please?

Update: oops, changed 1TB gfx to 1GB (it was late)... Sorry.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

That 24-incher looks like a badass display.

It certainly does and it's nice to see HP offering more than just basic TN panels. I hope they get into the market to help drive higher quality panels, connectors and performance that doesn't require one to go in the hole quite a bit.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexluft View Post

Seeing first Sony redesign their line-up almost entirely, then Dell just recently with their sweet new professional line redesigns, and now HP makes the MacBooks dated in terms of technology. I saw a Dell on Engaget (I think it was one of the new Precisions) have up to four cores, and up to 8GB of potential RAM, with 1TB in dedicated graphics power! Now, whehter all that power can/will be used by Vista/XP software is debatable, but those tech specs do look amazing.

Design is a completely different issue here but if you look at these PC vendors, who have previously produced bland, uninspired, and "thick" notebooks, these are leaps and bounds better design-wise.

All this means one thing: Apple better have something amazing up their sleeves come September, and it better be priced right as well, because the competition is heating up!

Links:

Sony redesign (Engadget)

Dell's new Precision line (Engadget)

Dell's new Latitude line (Engaget)

HP's new Elitebooks (PC Mag)

All I'm asking for is more customizable CPU and GPU options in all MacBooks (regular and Pro). Is that so hard to do, Apple?

Oh, and one more thing, please: can we add another USB port to the Air? A non-recessed one? Please?

To me the one interesting thing about the HP line is they aren't obsessed with being < 5lbs. I want a workhorse laptop and I don't give a rat's ass if it's 8lbs as long as, like you cite, I have options and many parts I can upgrade.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    All the new laptops here look like crap, have crappy hardware and run crappy software (Vista). What is the point?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    alexluftalexluft Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

All the new laptops here look like crap, have crappy hardware and run crappy software (Vista). What is the point?

1. What makes that hardware "crap"? If you are reffering to "crap" as in the "crap that far outperforms my pretty MacBook Pro running any kind of design, audio, video software," then you are correct. Otherwise, please enlighten us why it is crap.

2. Looks are subjective. I think "all laptops here" are actually very decent-looking. They're not miss Universe, but they do look good. And to me - and other mobile professionals - looks are often the last thing that matter. Besides, the MacBook Pro looks good - the best- out of any laptop out there. The only thing is, it

a) makes much more noise fan-wise than most,

b) is less powerful than most (GPU, RAM, expandability),

c) runs hotter than most,

d) has less battery life than most.

So at the current time, having a MacBook Pro is like dating miss Universe that

a) always needs for you to take care of her and never shuts up about how hot/cold it is,

b) can't work out with you because she will faint/get a heat stroke,

c) is better-looking than most other girls but needs to put make up on every three hours (like the MacBook Pro needs to be plugged in every 3 hours).

3. Vista is not as good as OS X, true. But with Vista, you can actually choose which version of Adobe Acrobat Pro suite you want, unlike with OS X (which is limited still by Adobe's half-assed support of the Mac). This is because Adobe decided not to make three versions - all at different price levels - of Acrobat Pro. So while Vista might not be as good as OS X, I would not call it crap (even though so many tech "journalists" like to say it is, often with no substance behind their statements).

--Something else to think about re the crappy software": Microsoft Office for Windows is leaps and bounds better than the Mac version. (Yes, 2007 Windows vs. 2008 for Mac). So the most popular software for the Mac (office) is actually better on Windows.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    BLEHH when will they announce the new mbp!!!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    That Sony Z is incredible. I am die-hard set on buying a new MB when they come out, but that has me thinking twice.