MBA Teardrop vs. Wedge (revised)

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zerfman View Post

false, the definition of a teardrop is not necessarily that it is symmetrical , or has concave sides for that matter. here is the definition as stated on dictionary.com:

"having a globular form at the bottom, tapering to a point at the top."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/teardrop

bet you wish you could take back that wedge vote don't you. all of you wedgies.

Wow, lol. Thanks for actually clearing that up
  • Reply 22 of 30
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Wedges:

Teardrops:

^ Imagine the lid closed, obviously.

From most other perspectives, the Air simply resembles a rectangle due to the thickest point of the Air being only around half an inch thicker than the thinest point (0.16" to 0.76"):

I realize you believe teardrop to be the correct term and I don't pretend to know which one Mr. Jobs himself prefers, but I will say that your pictures of wedges are misleading. They are all right triangles, which obviously the MBA looks nothing like. However, a wedge (a polyhedral solid defined by two triangles and three trapezoid faces. A wedge has five faces, nine edges, and six vertices - Wikipedia) can also be a 3D isoceles triangle. If you slightly round the back edges of this sort of wedge, it looks quite similar to the shape of a MBA.

Not that I particularly care...just bored
  • Reply 23 of 30
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaple View Post

I realize you believe teardrop to be the correct term and I don't pretend to know which one Mr. Jobs himself prefers, but I will say that your pictures of wedges are misleading. They are all right triangles, which obviously the MBA looks nothing like. However, a wedge (a polyhedral solid defined by two triangles and three trapezoid faces. A wedge has five faces, nine edges, and six vertices - Wikipedia) can also be a 3D isoceles triangle. If you slightly round the back edges of this sort of wedge, it looks quite similar to the shape of a MBA.

The Swiss cheese doorstop doesn't appear to be a perfect right triangle and if you saw THIS post of mine in the thread where this discussion started, I provided these two examples as well:

I don't get how any of the examples I've posted could be called "misleading." They're all wedges and as I stated in my discussion with Mel, this is sort of like comparing rectangles (or maybe even rhombuses) and parallelograms. Wedges and teardrop shapes share a number of characteristics and even their dictionary definitions are rather similar. I predicted that a majority of people would call it teardrop shaped.

That's how I see it and most people when told to visualize a wedge would probably envision a wedge of Swiss cheese or your average wooden doorstop. Traditional wedges generally have more straight edges and flat "backs," while the Air features a rounded "back," tapered edges and the top and bottom slope to a point. The Air is so thin, when looking down upon it or at most other angles, it looks like a rounded rectangle, making the slightly thicker back almost invisible.

Looking at this front view, level with the latch end, you can't really tell that it thickens at the hinge-end at all:

• Reply 24 of 30
    anyone else have any thoughts?
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Quote:

anyone else have any thoughts?

Yes, for posting this poll, you should get a wedgie.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Maybe it's neither a wedge or a teardrop ? maybe it's a whole new shape that no one has ever seen before?
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Polls without a 'beer' option should be forbidden.

Oh, and it's a rectangle, IMHO.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear View Post

Oh, and it's a rectangle, IMHO.

We're talking about the side view with the lid closed.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

We're talking about the side view with the lid closed.

are there any good side views with the lid closed so we don't have to imagine??
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Quote:

are there any good side views with the lid closed so we don't have to imagine??

Other than Apple's rendering above, I've found it hard to actually find a good side view. HERE are some pictures taken by AppleInsider, but most of them are angled.

Here's one of them, but again, you'll have to imagine the lid closed: