iTunes movies now available for Australia & New Zealand

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday announced that movies from several major film studios are now available on the iTunes Store in Australia and in New Zealand.

In total, more than 700 films are available for rent or purchase from studios that include 20th Century Fox, The Walt Disney Studios, Paramount Pictures, Warner Bros. Entertainment, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc., Sony Pictures Television International and Lionsgate.

Among the titles are several new releases that can be purchase on the same day as their DVD release, including favorites such as "National Treasure 2," "Jumper," "27 Dresses," "Cloverfield," "Vantage Point" and "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End."

"Movie fans in Australia and New Zealand can choose from a great selection of over 700 films for purchase and rent on the iTunes Store," said Eddy Cue, Apple’s vice president of Internet Services. "iTunes provides an incredibly easy and fun way for people to discover and enjoy movies, and has quickly become the world’s most popular online movie store with customers renting and purchasing over 50,000 movies everyday."

With iTunes Movie Rentals, once a movie is rented, it starts downloading from the iTunes Store directly to iTunes or Apple TV, and users with a fast Internet connection can start viewing the movie in seconds.

Customers have up to 30 days to start watching it, and once a movie has been started customers have 48 hours to finish it—or watch it multiple times. iTunes Movie Rentals also feature over 100 titles available in high definition.

Pricing in Australia starts at A$9.99 for catalog title purchases, A$17.99 for recent releases and A$24.99 for new releases. iTunes Movie Rentals are A$3.99 for library title rentals and A$5.99 for new releases, and high definition versions are priced at just one dollar more.

iTunes movies in New Zealand start at NZ$9.99 for catalog title purchases, NZ$17.99 for recent releases and NZ$24.99 for new releases. iTunes Movie Rentals are NZ$4.99 for library title rentals and NZ$6.99 for new releases, and high definition versions are priced at just one dollar more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    You can keep track of the iTunes movie of the week specials by going to http://www.99rental.com. So far only the US (99 cents) and UK (99p) have specials but if Australia and New Zealand start as well, the site will be updated I'm sure.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Why do they get 48 hours to watch and we only get 24 hours?
  • Reply 3 of 33
    I wonder if iTunes has " A Dingo Stole My Baby"?
  • Reply 4 of 33
    nchianchia Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Probably because you guys are a day behind due to our timezones.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by broadbean View Post

Does your Mac beachball spin counter- clock wise?
  • Reply 6 of 33
    I live in the UK and we have 48 hours too. Its a good thing since we pay double what you guys do in the US. I think they give 48 hours to stop the direct comparison with US prices. Get over it, you guys have the best deal
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oliinthemorning View Post

I live in the UK and we have 48 hours too. Its a good thing since we pay double what you guys do in the US. I think they give 48 hours to stop the direct comparison with US prices. Get over it, you guys have the best deal

Let's face it - neither of us has a great deal with this plan. 24-48 hours is ridiculous for the price either of us has to pay for a rental. How much do you pay to rent HD?

I rented a movie -started watching it on the 30th day- didn't finish it - and the next day it vanished. Never again.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Congrats Austral Asians!

I expect each of you to have an Apple TV by the end of the week now that it is useful to you.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by broadbean View Post

Quote:

Does your Mac beachball spin counter- clock wise?

@ you both.

Quote:

Let's face it - neither of us has a great deal with this plan. 24-48 hours is ridiculous for the price either of us has to pay for a rental. How much do you pay to rent HD?

I rented a movie -started watching it on the 30th day- didn't finish it - and the next day it vanished. Never again.

The plan could be better, especially when you compare it to Netflix, which Blockbuster has had to compete with even in its stores by not charging for late fees. It wasn't too long ago when you had to have that movie returned by the 2nd day at noon or some odd hour. With the transport and time it wasn't even close to 48 hours and was highly inconvenient, but we dealt with it. I suppose our requirements for movie rentals have changed but we need to convince the studios that allowing us more time to watch the movie doesn't mean we're more likely to steal it.

What time frame do you think is good for online rentals?

PS: Why did you wait until the last day and not finish it? It sounds like you just weren't interested in the movie.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

@ you both.

The plan could be better, especially when you compare it to Netflix, which Blockbuster has had to compete with even in its stores by not charging for late fees. It wasn't too long ago when you had to have that movie returned by the 2nd day at noon or some odd hour. With the transport and time it wasn't even close to 48 hours and was highly inconvenient, but we dealt with it. I suppose our requirements for movie rentals have changed but we need to convince the studios that allowing us more time to watch the movie doesn't mean we're more likely to steal it.

What time frame do you think is good for online rentals?

PS: Why did you wait until the last day and not finish it? It sounds like you just weren't interested in the movie.

Blockbuster is a brick and mortar store and has to pay rent , utilities, etc. Both Blockbuster and Netflix use physical media which can damage. There is no comparison. These rentals are merely residing on an Apple iTunes server somewhere yet cost more to rent!

There should be a time frame IMHO of 60 hours minimum- a weekend. And if you start on the 30th day of the month - it should be able to detect whether you've finished or not and not shut you off right on 30 days regardless.

And the price obviously should be much less.

I was interested in the movie but was trying to co-ordinate viewing with a friend. We both travel much.

When I finally got around to watching it was the 30th day but got interrupted. I should have waited until the viewing time to actually rent. Regardlees, there are too many restrictions for these overpriced rentals.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Quote:

Blockbuster is a brick and mortar store and has to pay rent , utilities, etc. Both Blockbuster and Netflix use physical media which can damage. There is no comparison. These rentals are merely residing on an Apple iTunes server somewhere yet cost more to rent!

There should be a time frame IMHO of 72 hours minimum- a weekend. And if you start on the 30th day of the month - it should be able to detect whether you've finished or not and not shut you off right on 30 days regardless.

And the price obviously should be much less.

I do like the 72 hours, though at least 36 would be great as it would all for 2 full evenings to watch a movie if you have to stop on the first one.

The cost is an issue but Blcokbuster also isn't having to pay for the servers for storage and the bandwidth for transporting the files, but the real cost is what Apple has to pay the studios which apparently are asking for too much right now. Is it pure greed for this being a new transport method they wish to exploit from early adopters, are they foolishly worried about piracy from iTS movies when the DVD screeners and the R5 Cam releases, or are trying to set a precedent for the future of internet-based movie rentals/purchases?

PS: I thought that the timer cancels the 30 day clock and resets to the 24 hour clock once you start watching it. I'll buy Groundhog Day later on today for 99¢ to try this out if no one has an affirmative answer on this. Though you'll have to give me a month.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:

I do like the 72 hours, though at least 36 would be great as it would all for 2 full evenings to watch a movie if you have to stop on the first one.

The cost is an issue but Blcokbuster also isn't having to pay for the servers for storage and the bandwidth for transporting the files, but the real cost is what Apple has to pay the studios which apparently are asking for too much right now. Is it pure greed for this being a new transport method they wish to exploit from early adopters, are they foolishly worried about piracy from iTS movies when the DVD screeners and the R5 Cam releases, or are trying to set a precedent for the future of internet-based movie rentals/purchases?

PS: I thought that the timer cancels the 30 day clock and resets to the 24 hour clock once you start watching it. I'll buy Groundhog Day later on today for 99¢ to try this out if no one has an affirmative answer on this. Though you'll have to give me a month.

Are you so sure that poor Apple is being charged so much from the studios and that they themselves aren't also responsible for this greed? Is there an actual break out of the costs anywhere to verify this or is this speculation on your part?

I extremely doubt that the cost of server storage and bandwith transportation costs are equal to or more of a physical store with physical media. If that were the case Amazon would not be so cheap nor would any other internet service for that matter.

Let me know if your 99cent rental times out- I got stung on a $5 HD Rental. It apparently ends totally after 30 days- no exceptions!

BTW-I've lessened my time out to 60 hours- an actual weekend.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Quote:

Are you so sure that poor Apple is being charged so much from the studios and that they themselves aren't also responsible for this greed? Is there an actual break out of the costs anywhere to verify this or is this speculation on your part?.

It's speculation, but based on info at hand it seems to me to be the most likely. For one, there was a huge delay with movies coming to the iTS. Even after all the TV studios had jumped on board offering video and the the Disney umbrella was there offering movies we still waited and waited. This leads me to believe that the negotiations were at a stalemate.

Furthermore, we finally saw more studios announced at this past MacWorld. It wasn't just a couple big studios or just purchases, it was rentals and purchases from every major and many minor studio out there. There was also a growing number of competitive services cropping up that would be directly competing with Apple for online media. This make me think that Apple finally gave in to get the ball rolling on movies to maintain the iTS a dominance in movies even if it was at the expense of making that aspect of the online store was a short term loss leader.

Quote:

I extremely doubt that the cost of server storage and bandwith transportation costs are equal to or more of a physical store with physical media. If that were the case Amazon would not be so cheap nor would any other internet service for that matter.

I didn't mean to imply it would be more I was just going over the general cost.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:

I believe it's actually because of American's short attention spans...

I joke!

Jimzip
  • Reply 15 of 33
    I happened upon the movies having been released shortly before I saw it reported anywhere - my second ahead-of-the-world feeling in just over a week! (the first was finding iPhone 2.0.1 available before it was reported)

I have to say that I'm glad there are very few movies up that interest me though - the sizes they are at are between 1/3 and 1/2 of my monthly quota on broadband!

Still, it's progress.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    How many countries have iTunes movies now? I feel like they're accelerating. I hope there's a multi country announcement just around the corner.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Wacko the diddly-o.

I'm about as excited as I was when the iTunes Store finally appeared here after several years having its non-existence touted as a great Mac feature and reason to buy from Apple.

I can't figure why anyone would consider short term renting from the Store a great alternative to just buying the DVD or saving a swag of money and renting from the local video store.

And all that is pretending that Bitorrent doesn't even exist!
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

I can't figure why anyone would consider short term renting from the Store a great alternative to just buying the DVD or saving a swag of money and renting from the local video store.

1) Most people don't want to own their movies as they only watch them once.

2) Going to a video store is more inconvenient.

3) Netflix mail-order doesn't allow for instant watching.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:

1) Most people don't want to own their movies as they only watch them once.

2) Going to a video store is more inconvenient.

3) Netflix mail-order doesn't allow for instant watching.

1) Exactly how much are you willing to pay to NOT own a movie?

2) How fat and lazy can you get?

3) Neither does downloading huge files in Australia where thanks to our near monopoly Telco, broadband speeds are crap.

Like I said that also ignores the obvious alternatives which have been long available.

So to summarise, the market for iTunes movies is a fat stupid suggestable geek with too much money who oddly doesn't know how to use the Net.

Cost summary

To go to the movies to see current release $14.95, $9.95 on Mondays or Tuesdays.

To rent a recent release DVD $5 -$7

Rent Weekly DVD (catalog item) $1.50 - $3

Buy a recent release DVD $24.95 - $32.95

Buy a catalog DVD $6.95 - $12.95

Rent a DVD from QuickFlix delivered to your letterbox $1.95

Rent from iTunes Store for only 48hrs $9.99 - $24.99 plus download costs.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

So to summarise, the market for iTunes movies is a fat stupid suggestable geek with too much money who oddly doesn't know how to use the Net.

I am not fat, the stupid depends on who you talk to, I am not suggestible (but you might be able to change my mind on this one), I do okay financially but would never think I have "too much money, and I'm quite versed with the internet (my use of the Excite search engine, my new Friendster account and realisation that it's a "series of tubes" prove that I'm an expert in the internets).

Seriously, most of the world's broadband seems to be an all-you-can-eat service. Plus, it's just plain convenient to want to watch a movie late at night or realise that you missed a TV Show the night before and have access to it immediately.

What if you are home alone with the kids and they are already in bed? What if you have you just don't want to leave the house because packing up the kids takes too long or it's raining or you only have just enough time to watch the program before you have other stuff to do and running to the video store would make that impossible? What if you don't live near a video store or they are out of what you want but iTunes Store still has it "in stock" or you are on foot for whatever reason? What if you are sick with the flu in bed or you are going on a trip so you want these videos on your laptop of iPod/iPhone.

There are many, many valid reasons why there should be alternative methods, but none for abolition of one because it doesn't suit your particular needs.

Quote:

Cost summary

To go to the movies to see current release $14.95, $9.95 on Mondays or Tuesdays.

To rent a recent release DVD $5 -$7

Rent Weekly DVD (catalog item) $1.50 - $3

Buy a recent release DVD $24.95 - $32.95

Buy a catalog DVD $6.95 - $12.95

Rent a DVD from QuickFlix delivered to your letterbox $1.95

Rent from iTunes Store for only 48hrs $9.99 - $24.99 plus download costs.

Those prices are not inline with what I pay for any of that.