Mac OS X 10.5.5 bug fix list grows with build 9F13 seed

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    Adobe CS3 still unexpectedly quits. All the time. Please fix.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

If the problem you're referring to is after you login your screen turns black, then do what GordonComstock recommended. Which is to close the lid again and wait for the notebook to back to sleep then open it and re-login.

I'm not saying Leopard has no real issues, it does, and I can list a whole slew of Finder shortcomings, but the temporary solution for the black screen problem is that.

Thanks for the tips but it is actually worse than that. It happens sporadically and when it does opening and closing the lid does not fix it. When my MBP is not connected to a power source and has been asleep for a brief to long period of time when I reopen the screen it just stays black. The sleep indicator light turns on and off when I open and close but the screen never comes on. Even when I have plenty of battery left. If I then plug the power adapter in and open it up it will usually wake up then...but this is not always an option if I dont have my power cord with me. Then I have to hold down the power button and force it to shut down then turn it back on again and reboot. This is really frustrating when I have a bunch of work open!
  • Reply 23 of 42
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

As long as the kernel is solid the OS should run fine even if it's chock-full of bugs. Most of the fixes are minor at best and take a convoluted series of steps to reproduce. Usually something that most users will never experience.

A good and overused analogy would be a car. They're built with thousands of parts, but just because the tape deck no longer works doesn't mean the engine isn't going to turn over and start. As long as the main parts work, the car should be good to go.

Same with an OS. I would venture to guess 90% of the code has nothing to do with the actual running of the operating system. The rest is mostly just features and ease-of-use stuff that most of us could do without.

As you're fixing an issue, you may also find out that it has been covering up several other issues. And thus creating a bigger problem than the original issue. Gotta love programming! Fixing and optimizing code is very time consuming.

Not quite that simple either. Many small bugs affect quite a few different areas. Your tape deck analogy doesn't work, because it would be like a program running over the OS, not like the OS itself. As though Safari has a bug.

OS bugs are more insidious. Even a font supplied by Apple, and used by default has been shown to cause widespread, and surprising problems.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Never had that problem on any machine so far.

It could be some local problem you're having, such as a corrupt installation, or some other corruption somewhere else.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Quote:

And to play the "Service pack vs. Point Update" game (not suggesting mj was), i wonder how many of the 1000 SP3 fixes related to security holes vs. actual bugs in the OS?

But you got to remember that Microsoft defines a service pack as:

Quote:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) is a free update for Windows XP. SP3 includes all previously released Windows XP updates, including security updates, hotfixes, and select out-of-band releases

Link: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...3/default.mspx

Therefore the 1,000 bug fixes aren't new at all, there merely old updates bundled in one package. So over XP's seven year life span it has had about 1,000 bug fixes…
  • Reply 26 of 42
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    "Among the more notable tweaks are improvements to Power Management and Energy Saver settings for Mac notebooks"

Thank God! Leopard is noticeably more of a power drain on my PowerBook than Tiger was.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shahvikram123 View Post

But you got to remember that Microsoft defines a service pack as:

Link: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...3/default.mspx

Therefore the 1,000 bug fixes aren't new at all, there merely old updates bundled in one package. So over XP's seven year life span it has had about 1,000 bug fixes…

That's one sixty-eighth out of the 68,000 we were told it had upon release.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Never had that problem on any machine so far.

It could be some local problem you're having, such as a corrupt installation, or some other corruption somewhere else.

Happens from time to time for our 10+ retouchers who work full time in Photoshop CS3 (version 10.0.1) on Quad Core Mac Pro 2,66 GHz (first generation), ATI RADEON X1900 XT graphics 512 MB VRAM, 5 GB RAM running Mac OS X 10.5.4.

Another issue is that Photoshop's menu bar won't come to front when clicking the Photoshop icon in the Dock. It hasn't stalled or anything (doesn't show as red in Activity Monitor), but it simply won't come to the front, only it's windows which can't be moved, but they can be minimized. Upon trying to force quit it gets quit in the sense that goes away from Activity Monitor, but it stays active in the Dock (white dot underneath). If one right click on the Photoshop icon in the dock it says "Application not Responding", but it doesn't work to try and force quit again. Eventually (after about five minutes) it usually "dies" so one can launch it again.

It also happens that Photoshop stalls (spinning beach ball) and doesn't come back, requiring a force quit (which seems to work sometimes).

Maybe this partially Adobe's "fault" but it's disturbing nevertheless.

Hope 10.5.5. will improve at least the behavior when Photoshop won't come to front.

I've seen this happen for other applications as well, that the menu bar doesn't "follow" one one click an app to get it up front. If this happens it's just to switch to another application and then back again, until it happens the next time...

A few times I've also had problems with not all running apps showing up in the app switcher (cmd-tab). Just some of them would show, and one first have to switch to an app and then activate the app switcher again to see all. Quitting (restarting) the Dock cures this though (until it's triggered again...).
  • Reply 29 of 42
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Not to mention Illustrator's memory leak, overtime the application will consume all the memory there is. It will not release it even after closing all windows.

How about InDesign's pesky little problem where the windows won't Hide.

Adobe... the next Microsoft.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a Martin View Post

Happens from time to time for our 10+ retouchers who work full time in Photoshop CS3 (version 10.0.1) on Quad Core Mac Pro 2,66 GHz (first generation), ATI RADEON X1900 XT graphics 512 MB VRAM, 5 GB RAM running Mac OS X 10.5.4.

Another issue is that Photoshop's menu bar won't come to front when clicking the Photoshop icon in the Dock. It hasn't stalled or anything (doesn't show as red in Activity Monitor), but it simply won't come to the front, only it's windows which can't be moved, but they can be minimized. Upon trying to force quit it gets quit in the sense that goes away from Activity Monitor, but it stays active in the Dock (white dot underneath). If one right click on the Photoshop icon in the dock it says "Application not Responding", but it doesn't work to try and force quit again. Eventually (after about five minutes) it usually "dies" so one can launch it again.

It also happens that Photoshop stalls (spinning beach ball) and doesn't come back, requiring a force quit (which seems to work sometimes).

Maybe this partially Adobe's "fault" but it's disturbing nevertheless.

Hope 10.5.5. will improve at least the behavior when Photoshop won't come to front.

I've seen this happen for other applications as well, that the menu bar doesn't "follow" one one click an app to get it up front. If this happens it's just to switch to another application and then back again, until it happens the next time...

A few times I've also had problems with not all running apps showing up in the app switcher (cmd-tab). Just some of them would show, and one first have to switch to an app and then activate the app switcher again to see all. Quitting (restarting) the Dock cures this though (until it's triggered again...).

I haven't seen it, or have been told of it on the three machines in my home that have it, or the 42 machines in the two photography classes in my daughters school. So, while something is surely fishy, it's not consistent, which is why I suspect something other than a bug.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Not quite that simple either. Many small bugs affect quite a few different areas. Your tape deck analogy doesn't work, because it would be like a program running over the OS, not like the OS itself. As though Safari has a bug.

OS bugs are more insidious. Even a font supplied by Apple, and used by default has been shown to cause widespread, and surprising problems.

A font shows widespread problems because if it is the default setup everything from Preferences to Menus and more are affected due to the corrupt font file. That's not a bug but a corrupt file producing the expected behavior of all that load it only we see the corrupted results and due to the corrupted file the xml parser flakes on the font engine to the NSPanel through NSFont and much much more.

Throw in a different font for default and everything runs as billed. Check the corrupted font and replace it with a proper one and reset the default to that font and all is well.

A bug requires tracking down expected behavior that is not producing that behavior and thus the sideeffects result in dependent parts working incorrectly as well.

If an exception is to be thrown that never gets throw, the objects never get released that are supposed to be released and the cache has the wrong stored objects there are plenty of problems that arrive due to that exception not being use case tested and written to avoid.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:

What's really amazing is that these complex OS's can work at all with so many bugs. It's like cockroaches, for every one you find, there's a dozen more you haven't.

Use boric acid - works every time. Um, for the roaches, not the OS.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    Haven't succeeded to backup any of my machines using time machine. The initial backup over ethernet aborts midway, even with no activity at all on any of the computers.

None of the apple forums seems to offer any solutions.

I hope 10.5.5 will contain fixes to Time Machine and/or Time Capsule firmware such that reliability is drastically increased.

It should be (and remain) rock solid such that there is never a need to throw away any time machine sparse images and start from scratch.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    I'm glad that the new seeds are keeping coming regularly; not that it means anything re release date given the experience with 10.5.2 or 10.5.3.

But I can say that whatever these bug fixes are, they won't fix the iTunes dashboard widget; they won't fix MacBook Pro graphical corruption issues; they won't fix randomly unavailable SMB shares after wakeup or startup; they won't fix Finder FTP timeout issues due to complex permissions; they won't fix the menubar not updating when switching between apps; they won't fix a stuck mouse button in iTunes; they won't fix Finder sidebar behaviour, or that within open/save dialogs; and they won't standardise scrollbars through the OS.

That's right! After 4 updates and 800+ fixes applied within them, it's high time for some reverse psychology to get my outstanding ones sorted!

Oh and one other thing: the next iPhone software update won't fix the fact that Safari on the iPhone crashed four times on me last night while I was trying to post this message. Ironically, the last time, when I gave up, was just after I had typed the above "won't fix the fact that Safari on the iPhone crashed..." .
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

A font shows widespread problems because if it is the default setup everything from Preferences to Menus and more are affected due to the corrupt font file. That's not a bug but a corrupt file producing the expected behavior of all that load it only we see the corrupted results and due to the corrupted file the xml parser flakes on the font engine to the NSPanel through NSFont and much much more.

Throw in a different font for default and everything runs as billed. Check the corrupted font and replace it with a proper one and reset the default to that font and all is well.

A bug requires tracking down expected behavior that is not producing that behavior and thus the sideeffects result in dependent parts working incorrectly as well.

If an exception is to be thrown that never gets throw, the objects never get released that are supposed to be released and the cache has the wrong stored objects there are plenty of problems that arrive due to that exception not being use case tested and written to avoid.

Uh, yes, I understand. It wasn't the best example, but I would think that there was a point that was understood.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:

I haven't seen it, or have been told of it on the three machines in my home that have it, or the 42 machines in the two photography classes in my daughters school. So, while something is surely fishy, it's not consistent, which is why I suspect something other than a bug.

I know now the problem with Photoshop not coming to front happens after hiding it (cmd-ctrl-H).

Since there is a problem with In Design and Leopard (hiding doesn't always work the first time you launch it, but a quit and re-launch solves it) it might be that this Photoshop problem is related to.

Edit:

Found this on the Apple Discussions Forum: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....67780&tstart=0

And no, it doesn't help till quit the Dock so it gets re-launched.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    adobe needs to also put out updates that make the CS 3 suites finally leopard compatible as they are really far from being totally compatible and apple can only do so much.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Quote:

I know now the problem with Photoshop not coming to front happens after hiding it (cmd-ctrl-H).

Since there is a problem with In Design and Leopard (hiding doesn't always work the first time you launch it, but a quit and re-launch solves it) it might be that this Photoshop problem is related to.

Edit:

Found this on the Apple Discussions Forum: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....67780&tstart=0

When you quit the dock all applications automatically unHide, exposing the notion that the Hide command may be handled by the dock.

Wow... the Dock might be the culprit here, I would've never guessed that.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:

Edit:

I haven't used Design much recently, so I can't assert my knowledge about that problem, but I really haven't seen this with PS. Are you using both programs at once? I used to have PS, Design, Illustrator, and others open at the same time, perhaps its related to that.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

When you quit the dock all applications automatically unHide, exposing the notion that the Hide command may be handled by the dock.

Wow... the Dock might be the culprit here, I would've never guessed that.

That's true. It's an interesting point.