New iPhone app streams iTunes collections anywhere

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by voodooru View Post

what a disaster!

this app just totally fuked my phone up! i've tried rebooting the last 3 hours. LOL

good thing I'm 20 mins outside the 5th AVE NYC 24 HR store. heading there now 11:00pm - to go yell at somebody. i don't give a fuck if i dont have an appointment at the "genius" bar! bitches are gonna reboot this shit for me. lol

note to self - avoid apps. they're turning my iphone into a portable version of Vista!

disappointing!

Will your mommy let you out so late at night?
  • Reply 22 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by voodooru View Post

what a disaster!

this app just totally fuked my phone up! i've tried rebooting the last 3 hours. LOL

good thing I'm 20 mins outside the 5th AVE NYC 24 HR store. heading there now 11:00pm - to go yell at somebody. i don't give a fuck if i dont have an appointment at the "genius" bar! bitches are gonna reboot this shit for me. lol

note to self - avoid apps. they're turning my iphone into a portable version of Vista!

disappointing!

So you are angry that a 3rd-party app isn't working so you're going to yell at Apple Store retail staff as if it's their fault. I have a feeling that they have not even heard of the app yet.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    I can't find this app on the app store from my iPhone... Did apple yank it already?
  • Reply 24 of 64
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    How long does it take to scan your library? I've been waiting 15 minutes.
  • Reply 25 of 64
    don't know if it's because my iTunes library is over 27,000 tracks, or if it's because it is located on an external FW drive, but SimplifyMedia has been 'scanning libraries" for over an hour with no visible indication of any progress ...
  • Reply 26 of 64
    This is a great app. I'm glad that I read about it, here, so that I could get it while it is free. At any rate, there is one thing that I wish this app would do. Even better, it would be nice if ANY app would do it, and that is allow streaming of the great radio stations that are available in iTunes. I LOVE 80's music, and there are some great 80's stations in the Radio section of iTunes, and I would LOVE to be able to stream them to my iPhone 3G! Anyone know of any app that does this?
  • Reply 27 of 64
    gleepgleep Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne View Post

I LOVE 80's music, and there is some great 80's stations in the Radio section of iTunes, and I would LOVE to be able to stream them to my iPhone 3G! Anyone know of any app that does this?

Try Tuner Internet Radio by Nullsoft. The UI isn't perfect, but it does exactly what you want.
  • Reply 28 of 64
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    Anybody tried it on EDGE with Apple Lossless files yet? Wondering if it has the bandwidth to handle these files.
  • Reply 29 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gleep View Post

Try Tuner Internet Radio by Nullsoft. The UI isn't perfect, but it does exactly what you want.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Does this app have the same 80's stations that are listed on iTunes radio? Also, it appears that they have raised the price from $4.99 to $5.99. Not a biggie, however, I've read the reviews, and people have been complaining that the update actually took away some of the functionality, and that they liked the older version, better.

Any other suggestions? Anyone here that uses this app?

Again, thanks for pointing this out to me, gleep!
  • Reply 30 of 64
    gleepgleep Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne View Post

Does this app have the same 80's stations that are listed on iTunes radio? Also, it appears that they have raised the price from $4.99 to $5.99. Not a biggie, however, I've read the reviews, and people have been complaining that the update actually took away some of the functionality, and that they liked the older version, better.

It has some of the same stations, but you can add your own stations if what you want is not listed. I've added several custom stations on my phone. All you need is the URL to the stream you want to listen to. Note that it does not support Real or WM.

I enjoy Pandora and AOL Radio as well, but both of those are mono streams if you aren't using Wifi. Nullsoft's Tuner plays whatever bitrate you choose -- though, obviously, if your connection cannot handle the bitrate, you are punished with constant re-buffering.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gleep View Post

It has some of the same stations, but you can add your own stations if what you want is not listed. I've added several custom stations on my phone. All you need is the URL to the stream you want to listen to. Note that it does not support Real or WM.

I enjoy Pandora and AOL Radio as well, but both of those are mono streams if you aren't using Wifi. Nullsoft's Tuner plays whatever bitrate you choose -- though, obviously, if your connection cannot handle the bitrate, you are punished with constant re-buffering.

Thanks, gleep! I appreciate the information. I LOVE Pandora. I've used it quite a bit. I'm not so fond of AOL Radio. It seems like the stations always have static. Of course, that was only from using it, right after I downloaded it. It just instantly turned me off, so, I haven't re-visited it. I've noticed that with Pandora, I always have a clear stream, even over 3G and Edge.
  • Reply 32 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I expect an Apple app to do this before long. Maybe even integrated with the Remote app for iPhone and touch. I'm interested, but hesitating because it doesn't support iTunes purchases.

Wasn't there a patent application unearthed recently where Apple was proposing to do something very similar? Maybe Apple's left hand (legal) doesn't know what its right hand (3rd-party app store verification) is doing. I'm thinking this is going to be shut down before too long.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    This app seems silly. I for one have trouble filling the whole 16GB on my iPhone, especially with music. I would rather use the iPod app directly and save my battery.

This process of streaming would likely give you a 2-3 hour battery life, compared to all day with the iPod app directly.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    nacnudnacnud Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maederer View Post

This app seems silly. I for one have trouble filling the whole 16GB on my iPhone, especially with music. I would rather use the iPod app directly and save my battery.

This process of streaming would likely give you a 2-3 hour battery life, compared to all day with the iPod app directly.

You obviously don't have very much music then, I find there is often a time I want to listen to something that isn't on my PMP and this would be a really nice feature. Plus it now removes the need to save files in compressed music formats. You just save everything as Apple lossless in cheap desktop HDD and stream from there to your player. Which also ditches the need for all the CD backups I have, just back up with another HDD. I think Simplify Media streams at 160bps so bandwith shouldn't be a problem.

Also don't underestimate having the ability to easily share your music with 30 other people, just a few people with tastes slightly different to your own and you end up with a vast library to browse.

I've been using Simplify Media on the desktop for years and love it.
  • Reply 35 of 64
    Is there a similar app for say your laptop?

I have an iMac and a windows laptop. I'd love to stream music from my mac to my laptop when not at home (the laptop only has a 50GB HDD).

I'm thinking there's something really obvious I'm forgetting about, but suggestions are VERY welcome.
  • Reply 36 of 64
    So anybody want to send me an invitation??

Screen Name: mrunderhill
  • Reply 37 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

So anybody want to send me an invitation??

Screen Name: mrunderhill

Mine is MadonnasManOne

I sent you an invite.
  • Reply 38 of 64
    @ MadonnasManOne and mrunderhil

I'll let you guess what my screen name is
  • Reply 39 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nacnud View Post

@ MadonnasManOne and mrunderhil

I'll let you guess what my screen name is

Erm let me guess

Thanks for the invites. Works a treat. You also have some really cool music.
  • Reply 40 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontlookleft View Post

Is there a similar app for say your laptop?

I have an iMac and a windows laptop. I'd love to stream music from my mac to my laptop when not at home (the laptop only has a 50GB HDD).

I'm thinking there's something really obvious I'm forgetting about, but suggestions are VERY welcome.

Install Simplify Media from here on both machines, job done. The Libraries will appear under shared in itunes. You can also use winamp and with Linux there is Rhythm Box.