Do you like the Dock yet?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I can recall a lot of people complaining when 10.0 first came out that they didn't like the Dock. Personally I have always liked it. I like it even more now because it is "alive". I love the way stuff changes in it and I reckon that one of it's best points. Also now it is fairly costomisable with the position, effect etc. What do the rest of you think? Have you realised how good it is or do you still dislike it?

Wesley

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Well I've always like it, but now I like it even more.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    I have always liked it, ever since the public beta.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    I like it but I have some suggestions.

It should be more configurable by choosing the spaces between the icons, and placing dividers between them.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    I like it but I have hit the wrong icon at times which can be annoying. I'm looking forward to what improvements 10.2 brings for it.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    I love it...I do agree that sometimes it sucks when I click on the wrong icon...but that is my fault not the dock's, so I will give it a, uh, 10!
  • Reply 6 of 22
    kaboomkaboom Posts: 286member
    Nope. Still lame.

But since I have no other choice but to spend money on shareware, I deal with it.

It MIGHT be a little better when spring loaded folders show up (assuming that Apple implements it correctly. Previous performance indicates that they won't though )
  • Reply 7 of 22
    I just wish we could have multiple docks open at the same time. For now it deserves a nine.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    theres shareware that lets you open multiple docks, sprink loaded folders are desperatly needed...

i love the dock, i can finally simplify the desktop and unclutter it all, plus the way you can deliver info through the icons in it is great. such as seti dockling.

also browsing through disks with ctrl-click is great, and the options available + shareware tools really make it customizable, very very usefull tool aside from a simple app switcher
  • Reply 9 of 22
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    The dock is OK but I would prefer Apple implement something along the lines of taskmenubar's way to switch between apps. I find with taskmenubar, its much easier to see whats open, switch between apps, and hide apps. It also keeps your desktop less cluttered. The dock gets in the way of windows and I can't stand the hide/unhide feature of it. In fact, at work, when I helped others on their windows NT computers, some of them had the windows version of the dock at the bottom (and the other one that resides on the top or side of the screen) set to autohide/unhide. When I got near an edge, the dang thing would pop up when I didn't want it to causing me to open or switch to other apps.

I like the dock but not for switching between apps or to see what is open and running. I wish Apple would double the size of the menu bar and put the icons of open apps in the top half of it. Leave the dock of course but for other things.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Well. When you take a look at the stuff I put onto the dock you will know how much I like it

• Reply 11 of 22
    I think the dock is useless. I minimize it as small as possible, turn off magnification and make it invisible. Sometimes weeks go by and I never have to look at it. Sometimes I accidently move the cursor in that area and it jumps out covering up something I'm working on. That's about as often as I see it.

I use a folder full of aliases to launch apps, documets and frequently referenced folders. I made a graphic which I inserted as a folder background picture to distinguish these. I use ASM to restore the much more useful application switcher at the top right of the screen. I like being able to see a list of the names of the running programs. I got another freeware program to restore the trash can to the desktop but actually I never use it. I just use the contextual menu to trash or dismount things.

I don't mind it being in the system as long as I'm not forced to use it.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    [quote]I like it but I have some suggestions.

It should be more configurable by choosing the spaces between the icons, and placing dividers between them.<hr></blockquote>

Agreed. Spacers would be an excellent addition for the dock.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I like it alot and MacOS X would be incomplete with out it. But it can onlt get better from here. SLF will be welcome as would any number of improvement mentioned in the past. I give it a 9 out of 10.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    I think the transition from the "text and small icon" approach of the original switcher menu to "big icon and text" in the Dock is a stroke of genius. It makes recognition so much quicker. I've spent an awful lot of time in OS9 with my brain in neutral wondering what the name of that dammned application was again? The dock has made that much easier.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    It'd be nice if the apps got sorted alphabetically automatically.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by crawlingparanoia:

<strong>It'd be nice if the apps got sorted alphabetically automatically.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That would suck. One of the Dock's best features is that it allows me

to sort my icons however I want, even for apps that are running. Besides,

having a pictorial system that arranges alphabetically doesn't make

a lot of sense.

[ 02-13-2002: Message edited by: Nonsuch ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 22
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    [quote]Originally posted by janitor:

<strong>theres shareware that lets you open multiple docks.... </strong><hr></blockquote>

How bout a link?

Leonis, I found myself instinctively mousing over the pic of you dock to see what some of those apps were. Big dock.

Oh, my vote. I've always liked the dock. Much better than the Apple Menu. Plus its just damn cool.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    [quote]Leonis, I found myself instinctively mousing over the pic of you dock to see what some of those apps were. Big dock.

[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

List (from left to right)

Finder

Classic Startup

Suitcase

Address Book

Mail

Mozilla

IE

Norton AntiVirus 7.02

Fetch 4

CD Dockling

Limewire

iTunes

Carracho

Hotline

Sherlock

Word 2001

Text Edit

BBEdit Lite 6.1

Vue Scan

Epson Scanning utility

Preview

Graphic Converter

Acrobat 5

Illustrator 10

Photoshop 7b

After Effect Production Bundle 5.5

Final Cut Pro 3

Cinema 4D XL 7

Body Paint 6.3

Painter 7.1

Bryce 5

Photoshop 6.01

Dreamweaver 4.02

Freehand 10

Peak DV 3.0

SoundEdit 16

Sound Studio

Virtual PC 5

QuarkXpress 4.1

Live Stage Pro 3

QuickTime Player

Toast 5.12

Stuffit Deluxe

Drop Zip

Drop Stuff

Calculator

CPU Monitor

Process Viewer

Grab

Print Centre

System Preference

-------------------------

Temp file folder

Work folder

OS 9 apps folder

OS X apps folder

Trash
  • Reply 19 of 22
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    from a scale of 1 to 10, I give it 7.5-8. It could use the spacers/separators and drag-n-drop through the pop-ups (i.e., spring-loaded). It's pretty convenient and I bet I'd like it a LOT if I had a big screen -- allows more flexibility.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    [quote] theres shareware that lets you open multiple docks <hr></blockquote>

yeah i kno

but at the same time

it deserves a nine

mulitiple docks + spring loaded folders = 10.1