New iPhone app streams iTunes collections anywhere

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    Just got it. Still free!

I was just talking to some friends yesterday about an app that would do this.

Now my iphone can get at the 80gb of music I spent most of 2004 converting from my cd collection.

• Reply 42 of 64
    This app is quite incredible. We've just had a customer send in a new Mac mini with all of his music collection on it so he can get to it anywhere in the world at anytime without leaving his home iMac on.
  • Reply 43 of 64
    iedsriiedsri Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zenwaves View Post

don't know if it's because my iTunes library is over 27,000 tracks, or if it's because it is located on an external FW drive, but SimplifyMedia has been 'scanning libraries" for over an hour with no visible indication of any progress ...

zenwaves, I've ecountered the same problem, with the same circumstances: an outboard 1-terabyte drive stores all my music, and it's 34,000 tracks. The Simplify Media software definitely has a problem with this situation.

I'm going to try uploading from another iMac tonight -- that one has an internal 1-terabyte drive, and that way I'll be able to see if it's just the FireWire link that causes the problem, or if Simplify Media just didn't write an app capable of handling SERIOUS music collections!
  • Reply 44 of 64
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iedsri View Post

zenwaves, I've ecountered the same problem, with the same circumstances: an outboard 1-terabyte drive stores all my music, and it's 34,000 tracks. The Simplify Media software definitely has a problem with this situation.

I'm going to try uploading from another iMac tonight -- that one has an internal 1-terabyte drive, and that way I'll be able to see if it's just the FireWire link that causes the problem, or if Simplify Media just didn't write an app capable of handling SERIOUS music collections!

They had server problems. Things are running rather smoothly now.
  • Reply 45 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

They had server problems. Things are running rather smoothly now.

I wish they didn't through their servers. I wish their servers were just used for authentication before forwarding your IP address to the app. I wonder if the music itself does this or if that too goes through the server.

They would have a real winner if they can tie the iPhone's ability to read most documents to this app so I can access any documents on my system remotely.
  • Reply 46 of 64
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wish they didn't through their servers. I wish their servers were just used for authentication before forwarding your IP address to the app. I wonder if the music itself does this or if that too goes through the server.

They would have a real winner if they can tie the iPhone's ability to read most documents to this app so I can access any documents on my system remotely.

I hear you. I think this might be planned. I do have to say that their customer service is top notch. They answered an email back with 20 minutes, explaining that they had server problems. They did not expect the demand that they got. The service has been a bit spotty but for the most part it is okay.

Just sending you a PM.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    Great app, and still free! Thanks!

One question though - I got my iPhone to see my iTunes library, but it's not seeing all of it. Big groups of tracks are missing from any given album. For example, Faith No More's "Angel Dust" has 14 tracks on my computer, but only 3 show up on my phone. All the files are valid, and will play through iTunes.
  • Reply 48 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dupreeblue View Post

Great app, and still free! Thanks!

One question though - I got my iPhone to see my iTunes library, but it's not seeing all of it. Big groups of tracks are missing from any given album. For example, Faith No More's "Angel Dust" has 14 tracks on my computer, but only 3 show up on my phone. All the files are valid, and will play through iTunes.

1) The larger the library the longer it takes to load and you'll have to exit the app and go back in as it won't yet auto update the list. You can see the progress in the SimpleMedia app which you can compare to your music library.

2) It won't do tracks purchased from the iTS. Or radio channels or videos.
  • Reply 49 of 64
    Downloaded the great app. Worked great until I did the iPhone update. Now when I try to use it on my iPhone, I bring up the app and I get a black screen for about 10 seconds and then it bounces me back to my original screen! Did the obvious, restart both, log out, login. Help! I really love this and want to use it. Anyone else have this issue?
  • Reply 50 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by srdixon View Post

Downloaded the great app. Worked great until I did the iPhone update. Now when I try to use it on my iPhone, I bring up the app and I get a black screen for about 10 seconds and then it bounces me back to my original screen! Did the obvious, restart both, log out, login. Help! I really love this and want to use it. Anyone else have this issue?

Have you reinstalled the app?
  • Reply 51 of 64
    It won't let me. The install button is grayed out and says installed!
  • Reply 52 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by srdixon View Post

It won't let me. The install button is grayed out and says installed!

Hold down the icon until it shakes, then hit the 'x' to delete it, and hit the home button to stop the shaking. Now reinstall it.
  • Reply 53 of 64
    It worked! Thank you sooooo much!!!
  • Reply 54 of 64
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CBA View Post

I've just downloaded it, even though I don't have an iPhone....will save me a bit of money so when I do get one I don't have to buy it, because by then I imagine 100k will have been downloaded!

Thank you so much for this tip- I too got it and will have it when I get an iTouch next month.
  • Reply 55 of 64
    Quote:

1) The larger the library the longer it takes to load and you'll have to exit the app and go back in as it won't yet auto update the list. You can see the progress in the SimpleMedia app which you can compare to your music library.

1) That makes sense, thanks! Unfortunately (well, in this case), my iTunes library is pretty big. Now I can't even pull up my own library on my phone. I downloaded the desktop app, and it works great, hooked up with a few of my friends, now on my phone, their library is showing up and mine isn't. Even though she's in Boston and my phone & macbook are on the same wifi network and physically sitting 2 inches from each other. Bizarre. I'll keep trying though, because this is awesome.

One more question though - will the app time out every time my phone locks itself?

2) They're just standard .mp3s in this case. Some are .mp4s, but not from the iTS.
  • Reply 56 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dupreeblue View Post

1) That makes sense, thanks! Unfortunately (well, in this case), my iTunes library is pretty big. Now I can't even pull up my own library on my phone. I downloaded the desktop app, and it works great, hooked up with a few of my friends, now on my phone, their library is showing up and mine isn't. Even though she's in Boston and my phone & macbook are on the same wifi network and physically sitting 2 inches from each other. Bizarre. I'll keep trying though, because this is awesome.

One more question though - will the app time out every time my phone locks itself?

2) They're just standard .mp3s in this case. Some are .mp4s, but not from the iTS.

The word I got from the tech support is that they are having server problems. I think they are getting slammed. They probably did not count on this many people jumping on board.
  • Reply 57 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

The word I got from the tech support is that they are having server problems. I think they are getting slammed. They probably did not count on this many people jumping on board.

probably not, but it's their own fault for putting out such an awesome idea of an app.
  • Reply 58 of 64
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stukdog View Post

This app is quite incredible. We've just had a customer send in a new Mac mini with all of his music collection on it so he can get to it anywhere in the world at anytime without leaving his home iMac on.

this doesn't really make any sense, sorry! Could you elaborate? Where do you work? Why did a customer send you a mini so that he can access his music?
  • Reply 59 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gleep View Post

Try Tuner Internet Radio by Nullsoft. The UI isn't perfect, but it does exactly what you want.

Try the AOL Radio app. It's great. I can even get my local radio stations, a few of them. Even better you can get radio stations from Boston, or Hawaii. When you open the app it has everything sorted by genre, and 60's thru 80's are at the top! Good luck!
  • Reply 60 of 64
    Quote:

I'm having the same issue as Dupreeblu, with not all tracks showing up - but issue doesn't seem to be ITS purchased tracks, as I'm seeing some of those in the list that appears... also, the list on the iTunes app itself shows all tracks as available, but the list on my iPhone only shows about half. I sent an email to tech support, we'll see what they say.