Ideas for App Store Developers

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Just thought it might be a cool idea for users to post their "most wanted app" ideas for developers willing to take the reigns and develop them (especially since there are a lot of frustrated non-programmers who are looking for specific solutions to problems, with no time or talent for creating these apps)...

I have a few (potentially neat) suggestions for apps:

1. 3D Chess/Checkers... if you've played the very interesting free mah-jongg app on the App Store which is rotatable using multi-touch, you can start to see the possibilities for other stacked/multi-dimensional games. I'd love to see 3D chess or checkers done right.

2. "Spin The Bottle"... could be a great quickie bar game. Sliding controls would create a "pie graph" background depending on the number of players.

3. "Water Chimes"... Using up to 5 fingers on the multi-touch interface, use your fingers on the rims of virtual glasses to create the ghostly tunes of glasses with different amounts of water in them for different pitches. You should be able to custom tune the glasses and record and share songs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yELcErIi6MQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxzj1dR5wCA

4. Collaborative sketching/finger-painting app. Email files to other iPod touch and iPhone users for them to add their artistic take to your paintings and drawings, or just keep a continually evolving sketchpad with different paints and inks.

5. Word Tiles: Just like the refrigerator magnets, these one word tiles could be moved around to create funny sentences or very short creative stories. There could be a random tile generator to create/add more words.

6. "Clinky" aka "iToast": Similar to the iBeer app out there now, a flute of champagne would be on the screen, and using the accelerometer when you make the correct hand motion, the glass would produce the sound of the a glass clinking (for an instant "toast" or "cheers!").

7. PaddleBall: Just like the actual physical ball attached to a board with a rubber band, you would see a 3D ball flying away from your touch/iPhone as you paddle in the air.

That's it for me for now. If you've been wanting to see 5 or 10 programs that would answer a specific audience (even if it's just you), post some creative ideas here that you can't make yourself. And for the developer community... if you see an idea you'd like to take and make an app, be fair and negotiate with the idea submitter for a piece of the pie, or give credit.

Comments

• Reply 2 of 9
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    I'm considering porting a 3-person chess to the iPhone - its one that's patented and copyrighted by a friend of mine who introduced me to it and is quite interesting. But after playing the free Mahjong that you have to constantly zoom and pan - not sure of its playability on an iPhone.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

I'm considering porting a 3-person chess to the iPhone - its one that's patented and copyrighted by a friend of mine who introduced me to it and is quite interesting. But after playing the free Mahjong that you have to constantly zoom and pan - not sure of its playability on an iPhone.

Could use a subtle combination of multi-touch and the accelerometer for 3D navigation around a playing board...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Spin the bottle..

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...286037391&mt=8

That looks like a better version of what I had proposed... at least it gives you more variations.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Had another idea for balancing games using the accelerometer... Simulate walking a highwire (from the walker's perspective).

Wish I had more 'professional' ideas for apps, but right now the novelty apps are ruling the charts on the App Store.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I would really like to see an iWeb blogger app. There are a few apps for other blogs but none for Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mb airhead View Post

I would really like to see an iWeb blogger app. There are a few apps for other blogs but none for Apple.

God, you don't blog with iWeb do you?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Wouldn't it be more fun to, you know, spin an actual bottle?

Edit: It reminds me of an episode of The Simpsons where Marge tries to get Bart to ride a tandem bike with her. He blows her off and then we see that he's playing "Riding a tandem bike" on his gameboy.

"Pedal, Pedal Pedal. Now enjoy scenery. Enjoy! Enjoy!."
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

God, you don't blog with iWeb do you?

I do and despite being good at it you don't have to call me god...but thanks