Whatever happened to single window mode?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Yeah, I know, everyone hated it in the OS X beta, but for apps like Internet Explorer, swapping between webpages to try and make the most of 56k bandwidth, it'd be a godsend.

Any alternatives?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    xeoxeo Posts: 33member
    I thought there was an app that could do something similar to it back in the 10.0.x days. I don't know what it was called and it doesn't seem to be on VT anymore.

Sorry.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Guitarbloke:

<strong>Yeah, I know, everyone hated it in the OS X beta, but for apps like Internet Explorer, swapping between webpages to try and make the most of 56k bandwidth, it'd be a godsend.

Any alternatives?</strong><hr></blockquote>

You should really try Mozzila 0.9.8. It has a 'tabbed-browsing' option. this allows you to have many windows open in the form of tabs, while loading new ones in the background.

also, is very very fast, and (in my humble opinion) renders pages more beautifully than IE!
  • Reply 3 of 13
    tabbed windows hum? That's a neat idea. I'll have to think abou that.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>tabbed windows hum? That's a neat idea. I'll have to think abou that.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It actually does sound like a neat idea but I've heard mozilla can be flakey sometimes..
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Ya, I was watching the keynote unveiling of the OSX interface, and wondering this myself....
  • Reply 6 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent:

<strong>

It actually does sound like a neat idea but I've heard mozilla can be flakey sometimes..</strong><hr></blockquote>

As of 0.9.8 mozilla has been completely stable. Not a single crash, not one!!

and this is what Mozilla will look like in a few weeks or so - look at the cool 'tabbed' windows

[ 02-15-2002: Message edited by: macanoid? ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 13
    fobiefobie Posts: 216member
    Dosen't Opera have tabbed windows to?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    vasuvasu Posts: 26member
    [quote]Originally posted by macanoid?:

<strong>

As of 0.9.8 mozilla has been completely stable. Not a single crash, not one!!

and this is what Mozilla will look like in a few weeks or so - look at the cool 'tabbed' windows

</strong><hr></blockquote>

WOAH. How'd you get Mozilla to look that cool? I didn't know it could look *that* aqua, just kinda aqua.. Those buttons are no nice.

can this be done in 0.98 or something later?

-vasu
  • Reply 9 of 13
    I just wanted to chime in and echo the sentiment that the most recent Mozilla for OS X is pretty sweet. There are still a couple of pages that won't load properly, but it's ahead of IE for OS X right now, IMO. It's fast, very stable, and does a pretty good rendering job.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    That's Chimera.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    vasuvasu Posts: 26member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAgent:

<strong>That's Chimera.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Where can I get and/or get more information on this?

I really love tabbed browsing (even though it could use some improvments), but the tabs are too huge!

The tabs in the screenshot above looks really good, I'd like that

-vasu
  • Reply 12 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by vasu:

<strong>

Where can I get and/or get more information on this?</strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://chimera.mozdev.org/"; target="_blank">http://chimera.mozdev.org/</a>;

Wesley
  • Reply 13 of 13
    What is the plug-in that allows for mouse movements to be commands?

Like drawing an X means close the window?