Inside the iPhone 3G dropped call complaints

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86
    rtdunhamrtdunham Posts: 428member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgavula View Post

2) I have a 1st gen phone and my reception has become worse since the 2.x software release. I am experiencing the same behaviors I saw prior to release 1.1.4. ...Unfortunately, there has been little discussion of the reception issues of 1st gen iPhones which may mean it affects only a few users.

yeah, but those of us suffering from it find it particularly frustrating, since the 3G problems are usurping all the attention. My gen 1 phone suffers from all the problems...weak and wildly-varying signals, dropped calls. I can use it only if i leave it in place and talk via a BT headset. Try to hold the phone and the signal plunges and few calls survive more than a minute or two. I'm in Florida, in an area marked with solid ATT coverage. Yet the local ATT store knows of the problem, and the area: they say it's a tower problem. But despite regular calls to tech support and promises of redirection of towers, there's been no change. Maybe it IS the phone, and not ATT.
  • Reply 42 of 86
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Didn't you hear: [/B]

Don't worry. Be happy.

Yeah, I liked that bit too. Doesn't matter if the product doesn't work properly so long as there are plenty of mugs who haven't heard it's a dud and keep buying it.

I hate to say it, but this is to be expected from the Apple of the moment. Shoddy products rushed to market without proper testing.

I think it is partially a consequence of the ludicrous levels of secrecy Apple aims for. I suspect the obsession with secrecy is greatly hindering the ability to do thorough and wide ranging real world testing.
  • Reply 43 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadisawesome View Post

judging by "number of bars" is a bad way to determine signal strength. that's just a software solution that determines a threshold of db's of signals and transforms then into a "bar"

for all we know we could be receiving the same strength, but Apple the threshold to make it appear that better signal strength is being achieved.

I can't remember which forum it was, but I thought someone had mentioned a way of getting the iPhone to display the data speed instead of bars. I don't recall if it was a third-party app that did it or if it required jailbreaking the iPhone. Does that sound familiar to anyone?
  • Reply 44 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

I can't remember which forum it was, but I thought someone had mentioned a way of getting the iPhone to display the data speed instead of bars. I don't recall if it was a third-party app that did it or if it required jailbreaking the iPhone. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

If you jailbreak it you can change a lot of the settings. One is to show a value instead of an image of the power and single. However, there is a built in app called Field Test that is hidden by default that will show all sort of numbers about your single. If you have a jailbroken iPhone you can use the app Poof to to unhide this app.

If your iPhone is not jailbroken you can call the number below to enter the app. This will change to bars to a negative integar.

* 3 0 0 1 # 1 2 3 4 5 # *

• Reply 45 of 86
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If you jailbreak it you can change a lot of the settings. One is to show a value instead of an image of the power and single. However, there is a built in app called Field Test that is hidden by default that will show all sort of numbers about your single. If you have a jailbroken iPhone you can use the app Poof to to unhide this app.

If your iPhone is not jailbroken you can call the number below to enter the app. This will change to bars to a negative integar.

I think, and do not quote me on this but the -83 is the s/n ratio measured in db, as are the transmit power readings.
  • Reply 46 of 86
    Quote:

Thanks! I'm assuming the asterisks are included. My iPhone's definitely NOT jailbroken (with the App Store, jailbreaking doesn't appeal to me at all).

And how would I get the bars back?
  • Reply 47 of 86
    Quote:

How do you undo this function,?
  • Reply 48 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

And how would I get the bars back?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by acumarino View Post

How do you undo this function,?

Hit the Home button.
  • Reply 49 of 86
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:

Hit the Home button.

Funny
  • Reply 50 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

I think, and do not quote me on this but the -83 is the s/n ratio measured in db, as are the transmit power readings.

I understand dB as related to audio; I didn't know it also applied to mobile phone reception as well - interesting. I apologize for chopping up the technical terms if I'm doing so , but rather than a S/N ratio (if that's what the negative integer is) I thought there was a way to display the 3G data connection speed (e.g., 460 or 700 or whatever... that is, some 3-digit number showing the kbps). That's what I thought I'd read someone mention.
  • Reply 51 of 86
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

At least they used that terminology instead of the loose 3G terminology. The image below is a bit outdated with some terms and speeds on the future high end, but it will help you understand the differences in 3G.

Thanks! That does a better job of breaking down what effects what.
  • Reply 52 of 86
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    For what it's worth I'm having trouble maintaining a 3G signal where I work in the UK. It's 1 bar at best, but drops off often to zero bars and so down to GPRS. Meanwhile a friend of mine with a bog standard 3G Nokia handset gets 3 bars of 3G on T-Mobile when he's standing right next to my zero bar iPhone.

Different network of course which may be the reason, but it's still annoying that he can use 3G no problem but my fancy new iPhone is struggling to load up anything at all.
  • Reply 53 of 86
    Quote:

At least they used that terminology instead of the loose 3G terminology. The image below is a bit outdated with some terms and speeds on the future high end, but it will help you understand the differences in 3G.

IMAGE REMOVED - OUTDATED

I seem to recognize that excel sheet! outdated? Are you calling me a liar? Updated 3GPP spreadsheet on it's way!
  • Reply 54 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Or, for the enjoyment of all the conspiracy theorists... "It's a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma!"

And I suppose you have a series of close-up photos of the enigma being tenderly opened up and the riddle gently removed, followed by all possible angles of the riddle, then the riddle is lovingly opened up and the mystery adoringly removed and, finally, pictures of the mystery in action!

• Reply 55 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

I seem to recognize that excel sheet! outdated? Are you calling me a liar? Updated 3GPP spreadsheet on it's way!

If I didn't say it first there would have a half dozen posts pointing out that HSOPA is now E-UTRA and upload and download rates are now 326.4 Mbps and 86.4 Mbps, respectively. Even though these may still change again as the tech advances.
  • Reply 56 of 86
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

'This means we can commit to our Network Performance Promise*: if we do drop a call, we?ll credit up to one minute back to your account if it?s redialled within five minutes. Here are the finer details;

call the same number back within five minutes, and before calling anyone else, and we'll credit your account

redialled calls must last longer than three seconds for credit to be added

calls to fixed charge numbers, like Directory Enquiries, will be credited as a call at your standard rate

calls lost by a third party don't qualify for credit

* Our network promise doesn't apply to international calls, calls made whilst abroad or free phone 0800 numbers'

Maybe At&t should adopt this policy?

Makes sense in a world where users get 100 minutes a month and consider themselves lucky USA users would wonder what the point of an additional minute is when they already have 1200
  • Reply 57 of 86
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

It's not really like that though. Nokia for instance shares the same phone inards across different models packaged in a slightly different way. I'd be surprised if they've more than 3 different hardware platforms in the 72+ million smartphones they shipped last year.

Apple also haven't just one model - they've still got the original iPhone to support and the iPod Touch.

Well, I guess that makes it 3 vs 3!

If only someone would suggest that the iPhone 3g, the iPhone Edge and the Touch were in SOME way similar....
  • Reply 58 of 86
    kendokakendoka Posts: 110member
    "-- The reason for that now may attention is to Iphone is so hajpad, "said Claes Beckman, a professor of microwave technology at the University of Calcutta."

Since when is "the University of Calcutta" located in Sweden???

Googles translation-fu is weak, a slightly better translation would read:

"-- The reason for why this even draws any attention is the ongoing Iphone-hype, "said Claes Beckman, a professor of microwave technology at the University of Gävle."

(Gävle University, Sweden is about 1/10 of Calcutta Uni, India - which is 1000 times more famous).
  • Reply 59 of 86
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

And I suppose you have a series of close-up photos of the enigma being tenderly opened up and the riddle gently removed, followed by all possible angles of the riddle, then the riddle is lovingly opened up and the mystery adoringly removed and, finally, pictures of the mystery in action!

Yep, ummm, somethin' like that...

[looks around the area suspiciously]

• Reply 60 of 86
    Quote:

If I didn't say it first there would have a half dozen posts pointing out that HSOPA is now E-UTRA and upload and download rates are now 326.4 Mbps and 86.4 Mbps, respectively. Even though these may still change again as the tech advances.

Yea, I know. And I know I'm right now, because I just made those very changes before i read your post (from wikipedia of course)! Here you go everybody! Man, I should really be getting paid for all the work I do around here!

UPDATED AS OF AUG 18th / 2008