Apple Enterprise sending thousands of Macs into hotels, cruise ships

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They are essentially retired so they do it mainly for the sake of staying active so they aren't really looking for work.

That's fortunate.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's fortunate.

I feel bad for those just getting into it and need the income to support their family.
  • Reply 23 of 58
    Quote:

I feel bad for those just getting into it and need the income to support their family.

Of course. I have a fair number of friends and relatives in Florida. They tell me that real estate is really terrible down there. Way too many people were speculating. Most of them I don't feel sorry for, because they had the money, were professionals in the market, and should have known better.

But there are stories I read about those who took all of their money and put into speculating in houses, which they've now lost. I feel sorry for them. But, you know, there's nothing like being careful. No one should ever take all their money, and put into one basket. This problem has been coming for several years, and the signs were apparent at least two years ago.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

... No one should ever take all their money, and put into one basket...

I dunno... maybe if it's a big basket of OIL stocks. I think they'll be out-peforming everything else for some time to come. $4 a gallon and people still fly by me doing 80 mph on the Interstate in their big-assed vehicles, one fool per vehicle.

• Reply 25 of 58
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    I was on a Royal Caribbean cruise earlier this year, and I couldn't get any of thier internet options to work with my PowerBook. I had to use the internet cafe on board. Nice to see they are becoming more mac-friendly.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

I dunno... maybe if it's a big basket of OIL stocks. I think they'll be out-peforming everything else for some time to come.

Until they drop. It's all happened before.
  • Reply 27 of 58
    mbmcavoymbmcavoy Posts: 157member
    I hope these "luxury hotels" start treating network access as an essential.

Recently, I stayed at the Hilton Anatole in Dallas, the most high-end I've been in. The room was $150 a night, but network access wasn't included. If I wanted to use the ethernet port in my room, it was a $12/24 hour charge. If I wanted to use the Wifi in public areas, it was a separate $14?/24 hours. WTF? It should be included, especially the port in my room.

I managed to power through the withdrawl symptoms, and I'm significantly less likely to stay there again.

I've stayed in motels where the entire room wasn't much more than $12/day, and have had free wifi!

---

LOL, I was coincidentially there at the same time QuakeCon was going on, with the "BYOC" gaming room downstairs, lots of attendees in the hotel. At one point, I was in a crowded elevator, when someone said "So, do any of you guys use Macs?" There were a lot of awkward faces when I piped up "I do!" with a big smile...

My wife also thought it was fun watching common the social-skills meltdown when she asked guys what games they play.
  • Reply 28 of 58
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Ok, perhaps it's just me, but big deal. Maybe the kids will be impressed, just as long as the parents are footing the connection fees.

When I'm staying at a hotel, I'll use my laptop's wifi, or when I'm vacation, I use it do dump pictures, but other than that, I don't care if I'm connected or not.

Seriously, the last thing I really want to be doing when on vacation, is to set in front of a computer for extended periods. I can do that at home/work, but when I'm on vacation, the last thing I really care about is a computer.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbmcavoy View Post

I've stayed in motels where the entire room wasn't much more than $12/day, and have had free wifi!

I'm experienced that from N. America to S. America to Europe to Asia. I've also noticed that cheaper the room the faster the connection speed.

Quote:

My wife also thought it was fun watching common the social-skills meltdown when she asked guys what games they play.

• Reply 30 of 58
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EyeNsteinNo View Post

When Bill Gates starts installing these mac systems in Canadian National RR diner cars and sleepers and the Hotels the RR services (Banff Springs, Chateau Lake, etc.) Ballmer knows he's in trouble.

Running a Mac these days does not necessarily mean running Mac OS. If all these industries want is flashy looking computers, they could just set up Macs with the hard drives reformatted to run Windows.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Running a Mac these days does not necessarily mean running Mac OS. If all these industries want is flashy looking computers, they could just set up Macs to run Windows.

But that is like buying a 1080p HDTV just to play reruns of the Honeymooers or buying a new Lexus and replacing the Leather with orange-brown vinyl leftover from the 70s.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    This is excellent! It's great to see Apple doing these types of unconventional projects. How I would love to walk into a hotel room with a 20"+ iMac! I can also see the incredible utility of cheap Mac Minis in an operation.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Or a building made entirely of a steel superstructure with segmented steel hulls.

Quote:

You can say that again! My parents are both realtors in Florida and need access to the MLS. I finally convinced them to go back to Mac after a decade with Windows after I convinced them that the MLS will work with a Mac just fine. I knew there would a solution, I just didn't know how involved it would be. My parents are techtarded so any solution has to be simple.

"techtarded".. Hahaha. I've actually never heard that before, in all the years of searching.... Oh btw solipsism, I'm interested to know your age/gender. I've been assuming you're a dude, and with parents retired in florida, I'd have to put you at about ~30.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    Quote:

Does Apple have a decent networked account system setup? The article mentions easily exchanging a Mac Mini, but what about each hotel guest getting a account that can be access from any kiosk? Something that is maintained on the server, not of the Mac itself.

Are networked accounts with Open Directory what you are thinking of? Or is that no robust enough? You can always make the golden triangle with AD for some more granular and scalable policies. If they have Gigabit Ethernet drops, they should be able to run the accounts from the server just fine in terms of bandwidth.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    What I love about this is that it (once again) showcases how Apple is thinking outside of the box to leverage its specific unfair advantages to deliver a user experience that others can not meet. If they are successful, it will open up new classes of vertically oriented applications and market segments that default to Apple first.

Part of this is as basic as in each piece of Apple's strategy (PC, mobile and media devices, retail), they are increasingly perceived as best of breed in, and perception has a way of becoming reality. Part of this is that they have done a very good job of integrating the different piece parts together such that they are starting to look like the safe choice in certain segments.

It's the proverbial halo effect of raising the bar in terms of consumer expectations, figuring out the 1+1=3 value proposition, platform enabling it and then spreading this goodness across their offerings in a way that is positively....Microsoft-esque (circa Windows 95 in terms of orchestration)!

For what it's worth, I blogged on the so-called Halo Effect some time back:

Holy Sh-t! Apple's Halo Effect

http://thenetworkgarden.com/weblog/2...hit-apple.html

Check it out if interested.

Cheers,

Mark
  • Reply 35 of 58
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

It sounds like good news to me. I didn't even know that Apple had an Enterprise Division. It doesn't sound like a huge number of Macs, but every single one counts.

Yes. I used to work there but during the NeXT Professional Services transition to Apple Enterprise Software.

It would have been successful if all the management for NeXT Professional Services hadn't been given massively inflated salary options from competitors to buy them away leaving AES with absolutely ZERO Management experience.

With two years of incompetence I couldn't stomach it anymore. Patience to the nth degree was required as Steve left AES be on it's own island while he saved the company solely within the Consumer space.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

"techtarded".. Hahaha. I've actually never heard that before, in all the years of searching.... Oh btw solipsism, I'm interested to know your age/gender. I've been assuming you're a dude, and with parents retired in florida, I'd have to put you at about ~30.

From my POV I coined the term about a decade ago. Urban Dictionary has it listed from 2005. I know I have used it on AI plenty of times since signing up but Google is only finding this most recent usage. I don't care who originally coined it but I do hope it gets popular as I like the term.

Yeah, I'm a 30ish male. Nice deduction on the age.

edit: I found one AI article showing my use a year and half ago, but that still doesn't predate the Urban Dictionary so I have no choice but to concede that I must have heard it somewhere.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EruIthildur View Post

Are networked accounts with Open Directory what you are thinking of? Or is that no robust enough? You can always make the golden triangle with AD for some more granular and scalable policies. If they have Gigabit Ethernet drops, they should be able to run the accounts from the server just fine in terms of bandwidth.

I'm not really sure. I just remember that WindowsNT allowed for easily using remote profiles and I don't recall Apple having something similar setup. It's been awhile since my MCSE and CCIE certs have expired so to say I'm "outdated" in higher end business practices would be an understatement.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

But that is like buying a 1080p HDTV just to play reruns of the Honeymooers or buying a new Lexus and replacing the Leather with orange-brown vinyl leftover from the 70s.

In the eyes of ignorant Windows based IT departments, Mac users are like monkeys fascinated by shiny objects. They think that all Mac users care about is having an Apple logo on the outside. So why not buy a shiny Mac just to run Windows? Could you tell from those screenshots in the article that those computers were running Mac OS?
  • Reply 38 of 58
    Quote:

In the eyes of ignorant Windows based IT departments, Mac users are like monkeys fascinated by shiny objects. They think that all Mac users care about is having an Apple logo on the outside. So why not buy a shiny Mac just to run Windows? Could you tell from those screenshots in the article that those computers were running Mac OS?

There are graphic queues on one image that has the iChat-type logo that put is squarely in OS X, but the other two also have an OS X-like feel to them. Specifically, the translucent overlay the shape of the windows, the anti-aliasing and the buttons. These can be done in Windows or Linux but they do take more effort so you are less likely to see them, and only then if it's a video, not an interactive terminal.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...end user polish while being easy to manage.

Doesn't every enterprise?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A single Xserve can deliver HD video on demand to 200 users.

So one can probably serve up file, print, email, web, iChat and a whole stack of other services/apps as well. That $1,500 unlimited user license is looking better all the time. I guess Macs are only more expensive if you shoe-horn them into a Windows server model.

McD
  • Reply 40 of 58
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:

Could you tell from those screenshots in the article that those computers were running Mac OS?

Though the reflections and layout of the screenshots look decidedly OSX Nanopoint is available for WindowsXP and OSX. The giveaway is ASR (OSX not Windows) and:-

"...Nanopoint on the Mac moves away from the browser to deliver a richer media experience. Leveraging Mac OS X's graphics compositing tools, the software can present video with interactive controls and animated elements to deliver an impressive experience"

Which hints at least some of the compositing is client-side (though the paragraph below says it's the OSX Server products also do this).

I guess this industry gives a compelling argument for an AppleTV SDK.

McD