Apple launches iPhone 2.0.2 update

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In a quick turnaround from 2.0.1, Apple on Monday evening released version 2.0.2 firmware for iPhone and iPod touch.

The 248.7MB update is available only through iTunes and comes just two weeks after version 2.0.1.

In traditional Apple form, no specific issues are identified in the current release notes, which only indicate "bug fixes" for the mobile operating system.

Past claims by alleged insiders and users have suggested that the update may fix connectivity problems causing dropped calls and unintended switches from 3G to the 2G EDGE network. AppleInsider will update if this or other new features are confirmed with the release.

Notes on the release follow:

No new settings appear to have been included.

Some users report faster browsing, though this may be due to cleared cache.

Typing lag may be reduced.

Apps don't require updates; NetShare still works.

Transition from music list to Coverflow has changed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 219
    Is it okay for me to buy an iPhone now without worrying about it dropping signal or having problems with MobileMe?

248.7 mb better fix something.
  • Reply 2 of 219
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    Also, This update is available for iPod Touch as well. Just click the Update button on the summary tab after connecting your iPod to your computer.
  • Reply 3 of 219
    adamwadamw Posts: 114guest
    Snappy!
  • Reply 4 of 219
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    why so big?.....patch people...PATCH!
  • Reply 5 of 219
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rnaoncfixd View Post

248.7 mb better fix something.

It appears that all "updates" for the iPhone are a complete set of the OS, not just patches. I don't think Apple has yet devised a way to patch the iPhone the way you can MacOS X--at this stage they have little choice but to give you the whole build every time. So this release might only be a few bytes here & a few bytes there, but that still means a 250Mb download.
  • Reply 6 of 219
    You know.....

Couldnt Apple just send out the updater through the air. I have to always hook up and download....the remedial updates.

Going through the backup is a PITA....and takes forever.

I really am second guessing Apple on these moves.
  • Reply 7 of 219
    Does anyone notice any differences? I didn't notice any in the last one as I still have the address book lag. Maybe this one will help with the battery life too?
  • Reply 8 of 219
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

You have to be kidding.
  • Reply 9 of 219
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Since this is for both the iPhone and Touch I don't think it addresses the 3G issues. In any event have to work tonight so I'm not to sure how much time I will have to play with it. My hope is that it addresses the Syncing issues and stabilizes both Mail and Calendar.

Crashes in Mail have been really frustrating! Like wise Calendar has its own issues and no easy way to recover from a screw up with syncing.

Heres to hoping stuff actually got fixed.

Dave
  • Reply 10 of 219
    I am downloading it now and my Safari is already faster. So weird?!?
  • Reply 11 of 219
    There are two super annoying things about iPhone 3G. It's generally a bit unstable (not just foreign apps, but Safari crashes fairly often and even the iPod can cause it to struggle) and the damned, God forsaken text entry delay. I *hate* that. Writing a text and it's always about 5 seconds behind each key stroke... these things must be fixed.
  • Reply 12 of 219
    It was not just a software update. I saw it state "Upgrading iPhone Firmware".

So let me see......

UPDATE:

OK...had 4 bars of 3G before...Have 4 bars of 3G after. No change there.

I did have to re-setup my two email accounts:

MobileMe

and

Yahoo.

Sense no difference at all, otherwise.

My iPhone always worked fine so at least it does not seem like that changed......
  • Reply 13 of 219
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

Two theories:

1) The OS is in some packaged, possibly encrypted form that can't be easily patched. Easier to replace.

2) Any glitches with an existing system are easier to fix by replacing the whole bit.

Most Mac software updates come as entire downloads, too.
  • Reply 14 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Two theories:

1) The OS is in some packaged, possibly encrypted form that can't be easily patched. Easier to replace.

2) Any glitches with an existing system are easier to fix by replacing the whole bit.

Most Mac software updates come as entire downloads, too.

Is it recommended to go through "backup" part when you first hook up the iPhone everytime?

What happens if you skip it?
  • Reply 15 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heyriddle View Post

I am downloading it now and my Safari is already faster. So weird?!?

I haven't even started the download, and my Safari is snappier
  • Reply 16 of 219
    mark wmark w Posts: 13member
    I am getting full 3G bars - maybe coincidence though... will upload screenshot
  • Reply 17 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stuart Kirby View Post

There are two super annoying things about iPhone 3G. It's generally a bit unstable (not just foreign apps, but Safari crashes fairly often and even the iPod can cause it to struggle) and the damned, God forsaken text entry delay. I *hate* that. Writing a text and it's always about 5 seconds behind each key stroke... these things must be fixed.

I've got a quick question for ya - do you only get the delay when you're downloading/installing an app? I've had it happen a number of times but every single time it's because the phone is chugging away at downloading/installing an app. Now I'm not excusing the delay but at the same time it happens so rarely I just deal with and keep on typing...
  • Reply 18 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mark W View Post

I am getting full 3G bars - maybe coincidence though... will upload screenshot

MMS?!?!?!? Is that an O2 thing or some App I don't know about?? Does it actually work like MMS is supposed to? (sorry if this has been addressed, I haven't seen any mention of MMS anywhere)
  • Reply 19 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

I've got a quick question for ya - do you only get the delay when you're downloading/installing an app? I've had it happen a number of times but every single time it's because the phone is chugging away at downloading/installing an app. Now I'm not excusing the delay but at the same time it happens so rarely I just deal with and keep on typing...

I get the delay frequently - regardless of whether I'm downloading an app or anything else for that matter.
  • Reply 20 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stuart Kirby View Post

seriously, it's disgusting. why the hell does the ipod just crash /freeze up intermittently?

why is the text entry so behind? shits me so much