Apple launches iPhone 2.0.2 update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 219
    mark wmark w Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mark W View Post

I am getting full 3G bars - maybe coincidence though... will upload screenshot

*points to signal bars*

Coincidence? Maybe - maybe not...
  • Reply 22 of 219
    Well, my address book seems to be much snappier!
  • Reply 23 of 219
    mark wmark w Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

MMS?!?!?!? Is that an O2 thing or some App I don't know about?? Does it actually work like MMS is supposed to? (sorry if this has been addressed, I haven't seen any mention of MMS anywhere)

Exclusive in the UK

If you're in the UK - visit o2mms.net from your iPhone.

It allows you to view messages great - as far as sending goes, it works great too - but you have to purchase credits in blocks of 10 (each credit costs 37p - which is about $0.70) - MMS isn't included in the contract and since the developer isn't actually affiliated with Apple or O2 - it can't just be added to your bill either.
  • Reply 24 of 219
    Some of you guys are such whiners.... Chill out... Still a great piece of engineering. Keep up the great work Apple.
  • Reply 25 of 219
    mutantmutant Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mark W View Post

*points to signal bars*

Coincidence? Maybe - maybe not...

What were getting before the update?
  • Reply 26 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DiscoNomad View Post

Some of you guys are such whiners.... Chill out... Still a great piece of engineering. Keep up the great work Apple.

the iphone is a great piece of engineering - it is however, also quite buggy. Apple has conditioned it's customers to expect products that are well tested and ready for use... the 2.0 software release is a disappointment from this standpoint - hopefully, Apple will catch up to it's old self and release products that are beyond an advanced beta stage when released...

just one opinion.
  • Reply 27 of 219
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

You know.....

Couldnt Apple just send out the updater through the air. I have to always hook up and download....the remedial updates.

Going through the backup is a PITA....and takes forever.

I really am second guessing Apple on these moves.

Deliver 250MB to each device over the air? Are you kidding? It wouldn't be as fast as most broadband downloading using 3G, EDGE would be worse.
  • Reply 28 of 219
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    not sure what was fixed. Seems to work as it did with 2.0.1. Can't say anything has improved.... I guess, it did not break things.... so far so good.
  • Reply 29 of 219
    Still getting the patented "Safari cannot load the page because the page is not responding" error on 3G. Every. Time. Zero. Throughput.

Brilliant.

(And I am in Manhattan. So please spare me the "do you have coverage?" question)
  • Reply 30 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rygriffin333 View Post

Still getting the patented "Safari cannot load the page because the page is not responding" error on 3G. Every. Time. Zero. Throughput.

Fucking brilliant.

(And I am in Manhattan. So please spare me the "do you have coverage?" question)

You mind cleaning up your language?
  • Reply 31 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Deliver 250MB to each device over the air? Are you kidding? It wouldn't be as fast as most broadband downloading using 3G, EDGE would be worse.

Not sure I agree.

First, I have a Sierra Aircard for my MBP, and I downloaded the iPhone SDK (1GB) with that. It is essentially a dedicated CDMA EVDO Rev A cell phone.

Second, the iPhone would be one helluva lot faster than dial up. Not that I remember how slow that is, having dropped dial up in '95 or '96 for ISDN.

BTW, 250MB is only a 3 or 4 minute download for me! Gotta love cable!
  • Reply 32 of 219
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Is anyone else having trouble installing? I've downloaded okay six times, but when it tries to install on the phone I get a disk error message. Is this only for the 3G iPhone? I have the old iPhone. You'd think iTunes wouldn't allow the download if that were the case.
  • Reply 33 of 219
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Couldnt Apple just send out the updater through the air. I have to always hook up and download....the remedial updates.

Going through the backup is a PITA....and takes forever.

I really am second guessing Apple on these moves.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

You have to be kidding.

I too wish they're updates were actual patches but Apple has been moving away from that since releasing Leopard. Maybe earlier, but that is when I first noticed it.

Quote:

Is it recommended to go through "backup" part when you first hook up the iPhone everytime?

What happens if you skip it?

You won't get a backup of your system saved to your HDD incase you have an issue with v2.0.2 and need to restore, but there is no problem with skipping it if you wnat.

Quote:

Fucking brilliant.

I'd say it's just too soon to expect a blanket fix to the 3G issue. They may have tweaked some things but I doubt that the issue is properly ironed out at Apple.
  • Reply 34 of 219
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Is anyone else having trouble installing? I've downloaded okay six times, but when it tries to install on the phone I get a disk error message. Is this only for the 3G iPhone? I have the old iPhone. You'd think iTunes wouldn't allow the download if that were the case.

I have the "old" iPhone also, and did not have a problem. The update process went normally.

Good luck!
  • Reply 35 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Seems fine here. Just re-backing up after the upgrade.

Worked first try.
  • Reply 36 of 219
    I'll skip this placebo (and what ever NEW bugs it introduces).
  • Reply 37 of 219
    In the past, I've had to uncheck and recheck the MobileMe Sync settings.

For a while, I wasn't getting any calendars and I almost missed some things.

I hope that our friends at Apple will make this a priority. Credibility is everything. I'm not saying that the iPhone isn't an engineering feat. It rocks! But is it so much to ask/expect full functionality with certain key and rather boasted features? I think not.

Yay for 2.0.2
  • Reply 38 of 219
    I am very disappointed with iphone for the following resasons

1. there is no copy and paste (unbelievable)

2. there is no any kind of search (another unbelievable)

3. if you are not subscribed call display even the caller in your contacts it doesn't show you the caller

4. there is no any desktop application to update calender and/or contacts, you have to have MS products (what a shame)
  • Reply 39 of 219
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I hope someone besides me is doing some cell testing before updating their iPhone. It would be nice to know if there are any changes to the radio's power.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leithal View Post

Not sure I agree.

First, I have a Sierra Aircard for my MBP, and I downloaded the iPhone SDK (1GB) with that. It is essentially a dedicated CDMA EVDO Rev A cell phone.

Second, the iPhone would be one helluva lot faster than dial up. Not that I remember how slow that is, having dropped dial up in '95 or '96 for ISDN.

BTW, 250MB is only a 3 or 4 minute download for me! Gotta love cable!

1) That is an Aircard connected to a proper machine and not a phone so you can get better performance out of your DL speeds.

2) EDGE is a lot faster than Dialup, but we are talking about a 1/4 GB here.

3) The carriers don't have millions of iPhones saturating their networks with iPhone updates. The max on AT&T for OTA App Store downloads and updates is 10MB.

4) There are some logistics issues with the iPhone taking the updates OTA but it wouldn't be too difficult if Apple actually delivered patches.
  • Reply 40 of 219
    mutantmutant Posts: 12member
    Quote:

Fucking brilliant.

What part of the city? I'm on 50th and Broadway on the 17th floor. Always got full 3G. I would take a cab home to Jersey City and even would get full reception through the Holland Tunnel. Well almost full reception, about halfway through there's a curve in the road and my bars would go down but still kept 3G.

In my house in JC, my 3G would be about 1-3 bars. Hopefully it will be better.