Apple poised for special event this September

Comments

• Reply 281 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

There's no real limit to the resolution or scan speed of VGA. It's just a matter of a faster board. The "standard" isn't limited with analog as it must be with digital.

True. But I don't think I've ever seen a video card that advertised more than that.
  • Reply 282 of 311
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT

The speakers are not mounted under the keyboard. They are mounted at the backside of the unit on either end for maximum stereo spacing, pointing away from the user. Since the screen folds behind the backside and is at an upward angle, the speakers' sound is effectively reflected back to the user via the screen. Rather clever.

Ok, well that is rather clever. But its reflected sound probably isn't better than the more direct speakers on today's MacBook, Air, and Pro (or 15" or 17" PowerBook G4).

Only the 15" and 17" MacBook Pro have "more direct" speakers; the MacBook and MacBook Air speakers work in the same way as the 12" PowerBook speakers as described by hobBIT above.
  • Reply 283 of 311
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Only the 15" and 17" MacBook Pro have "more direct" speakers; the MacBook and MacBook Air speakers work in the same way as the 12" PowerBook speakers as described by hobBIT above.

The 15" and 17" aluminum PowerBook G4s also have "more direct" speakers and the Air's speaker is located under the keyboard. Whether the Air's mono speaker sounds better than the 12" PowerBook's backward-facing speaker(s) that use reflected sound is debatable though. I thought the MacBook's speakers were mounted under the keyboard as well, but I now see I was mistaken.
  • Reply 284 of 311
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

The 15" and 17" aluminum PowerBook G4s also have "more direct" speakers

Sure, but that goes without saying because as discussed in the first several pages of this thread, the MacBook Pro form-factor is the same as the aluminium PowerBook G4's

Quote:

and the Air's speaker is located under the keyboard.

Ah yes. Sorry, my bad.
  • Reply 285 of 311
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

True. But I don't think I've ever seen a video card that advertised more than that.

Not consumer cards.

But as digital took over, and analog began to die out, there was no reason to do it.

Analog cards are vastly more expensive than digital cards. The technology of analog requires higher and higher spec parts to get to higher frequencies. Those parts are usually not even available, and when they are, they are incredibly expensive, and difficult to implement, because of power, and other constraints. I know, because I've tried to do this myself in my old business. It becomes self defeating.

Digital has the advantage of moving to higher specs whenever the process technology moves down another increment. This allows power requirements to remain about the same. You can't use process size to do that with analog. You need new material technology, and even bigger parts. Those days are over.

It's like my previous industry, that I still involve myself in, which is pro and high end audio.

I have two digital amps that I use for my subwoofers. These are over 1200 watts per channel at 4 ohms. They weigh a bit over 9 pounds per channel. My analog stereo power amp for my ribbons is about 300 watts per channel, and weighs 45 pounds.

In order to do that in analog requires an amp that weighs a good 75 pounds at the minimum, for continuous power, and often more for really good reliability. Because of that they also cost much more.

The efficiency of my amps is about 79%, whereas the efficiency of the analog (solid state) amp would be, at best, 25%, but usually less. Tubes would be about 10%.

That's why we don't see analog cards doing 2560 x 1600 in the consumer space, or even in the pro space anymore, though they used to be used in the medical, weather, and military areas.
  • Reply 286 of 311
    This is probably an inane question, but how sure is everyone that the new MacBooks are maybe/probably/possibly coming out in Sept.? I need to get 2 new MacBooks for my twin 18 year-old boys heading off to college in a few days. The "special offer" (free iPod Touch with each purchase) expires 9/15, but I don't mind waiting until after that date if the new laptops are coming out soon after.

Like everyone else, I'd hate to buy 2 laptops this week if new ones are coming out within the month...

Signed,

Just Curious
  • Reply 287 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kerith View Post

This is probably an inane question, but how sure is everyone that the new MacBooks are maybe/probably/possibly coming out in Sept.? I need to get 2 new MacBooks for my twin 18 year-old boys heading off to college in a few days. The "special offer" (free iPod Touch with each purchase) expires 9/15, but I don't mind waiting until after that date if the new laptops are coming out soon after.

Like everyone else, I'd hate to buy 2 laptops this week if new ones are coming out within the month...

Signed,

Just Curious

We're not sure. We're going by past experience (Intel's new chips, shots of new cases, etc), and also because some in the industry think that Apple will have an event in September which will feature newer laptops.
  • Reply 288 of 311
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Sep 2nd is two weeks away, where is the apple event announcement? next week?

it will be interesting when intel releases Quad Core mobile CPUs tomorrow @ IDF .
  • Reply 289 of 311
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    I just received an Apple Store email which reads:

"Which Mac are you?

Choose one by September 15 and get a free iPod"

Does that mean Apple will still be getting rid of older Macs and, therefore, won't be displaying new models until after September 15?
  • Reply 290 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I just received an Apple Store email which reads:

"Which Mac are you?

Choose one by September 15 and get a free iPod"

Does that mean Apple will still be getting rid of older Macs and, therefore, won't be displaying new models until after September 15?

Sounds logical.
  • Reply 291 of 311
    Quote:

Signed,

Just Curious

Check out my prediction earlier in this thread HERE. New MacBook Pros (and maybe MacBooks as well) are likely to be announced September 16th at the latest alongside updated iPods. Definitely wait!
  • Reply 292 of 311
    Quote:

Check out my prediction earlier in this thread HERE. New MacBook Pros (and maybe MacBooks as well) are likely to be announced September 16th at the latest alongside updated iPods. Definitely wait!

You sold me - I'll wait!
  • Reply 293 of 311
    According to this it's the last weeks of September:

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...92236&from=rss
  • Reply 294 of 311
    I dont know if it will come out soon or at all. all i can say is im tired of loading up the apple home page and seeing that oh so taunting iphone commercial every day. it is as if it is there only to say HAHA! you dont get a new computer !!........makes me sad\
  • Reply 295 of 311
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:

More often than not Apple introduced MacBooks after new MacBook Pros and not both together, typically a 3-5 weeks later. Simply to not have everyone buy at the same time and also to lure people who might buy a MacBook into buying a MacBook Pro - just to get something sooner. Which by mere coincidence often happens around the time school starts...

Not saying this will be the case again, but when reading above reports it seems very plausible that new MacBook Pros are announced mid September and new MacBooks end of September. And it then often takes a week or two extra until they are available in quantities.

To answer your question, as of today you'd likely be waiting 6 weeks to 2 months until you can get your hands on new MacBooks - and not one month.

If you don't want to wait that long, buy now.

Don't hope it's going to be merely one month. I'd say that's less likely than two.
  • Reply 296 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

More often than not Apple introduced MacBooks after new MacBook Pros and not both together, typically a 3-5 weeks later. Simply to not have everyone buy at the same time and also to lure people who might buy a MacBook into buying a MacBook Pro - just to get something sooner. Which by mere coincidence often happens around the time school starts...

True. They also want to avoid any possible backlash from students who just bought a MacBook as part of Apple's Back to School deal. Yeah, wait 'til the end of September.
  • Reply 297 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

More often than not Apple introduced MacBooks after new MacBook Pros and not both together, typically a 3-5 weeks later.

ehhh.... i disagree the last updates where together, although they where just updates this is a an entirely new computer not just a speed boost. ehh i wouldn't say 2 months. i would say either they get released at the same time or the macbook gets released shortly after. and it seems to be the consensus that the MBP is going to come out in september. at this point its worth waiting for whatever update is next. because they are coming relatively soon no matter what and you dont wanna be caught having just bought one a month or two before IMO.
  • Reply 298 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zerfman View Post

ehhh.... i disagree the last updates where together, although they where just updates this is a an entirely new computer not just a speed boost. ehh i wouldn't say 2 months. i would say either they get released at the same time or the macbook gets released shortly after. and it seems to be the consensus that the MBP is going to come out in september. at this point its worth waiting for whatever update is next. because they are coming relatively soon no matter what and you dont wanna be caught having just bought one a month or two before IMO.

Makes good sense. I have a friend who's going to loan my twins two older PC laptops while we wait for the new macbooks to come out. They've never used anything but macs before, but I figure they can rough it for a month or two...
  • Reply 299 of 311
    Quote:

Makes good sense. I have a friend who's going to loan my twins two older PC laptops while we wait for the new macbooks to come out. They've never used anything but macs before, but I figure they can rough it for a month or two...

So cruel.
  • Reply 300 of 311
    Quote:

So cruel.

I know, I know. But as a dad, I figure it's my job to gently let them know it's a cruel, hard world out there. They need to learn that those nightmares that they heard about as a child - pc computers - aren't just horrible rumors, but are in fact (shudder) true. If they can adjust to such a cold, harsh operating system, they'll be able to handle anything that life throws at them...

;-)