Apple launches iPhone 2.0.2 update

Comments

• Reply 41 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by morluk View Post

I am very disappointed with iphone for the following resasons

1. there is no copy and paste (unbelievable)

2. there is no any kind of search (another unbelievable)

3. if you are not subscribed call display even the caller in your contacts it doesn't show you the caller

4. there is no any desktop application to update calender and/or contacts, you have to have MS products (what a shame)

1 - you knew that before you bought it

2 - there's contact search (not too sure what you'd be searching for anyway)

3 - blame your provider because that's some crap

4 - buy a mac (Address Book and iCal work wonderfully with it)
  • Reply 42 of 219
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rygriffin333 View Post

Still getting the patented "Safari cannot load the page because the page is not responding" error on 3G. Every. Time. Zero. Throughput.

Fucking brilliant.

(And I am in Manhattan. So please spare me the "do you have coverage?" question)

So.....

Do you have coverage?

[ducks behind steel wall]
  • Reply 43 of 219
    Sitting at my desk at home, I can now get 3G for the first time. However, my bars still occasionaly jump down to 1 from 5. We'll see how well it improves call dropping. I've had occasional call drops, usually immediately after dialing, so fortunately it hasn't been a big issue for me.

EDIT- seconds after hitting Post Reply on my desktop, my iPhone then displays "No service". I had to reboot.
  • Reply 44 of 219
    mark wmark w Posts: 13member
    Quote:

1. there is no copy and paste (unbelievable)

2. there is no any kind of search (another unbelievable)

3. if you are not subscribed call display even the caller in your contacts it doesn't show you the caller

4. there is no any desktop application to update calender and/or contacts, you have to have MS products (what a shame)

For #2 - what is it you are wanting to search? Perhaps the Google app would interest you (free)

For #3 - what country are you in? Here in the UK you don't have to specially subscribe to anything for that feature - I think that is more of a network thing.

Dare I say for #4 MobileMe?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mutant View Post

What were getting before the update?

Fluctuating - may well be coincidental.
  • Reply 45 of 219
    Quote:

Who needs MS? There is such a service called NuevaSync...'pushes' beautifully (pardon the pun)
  • Reply 46 of 219
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikedor View Post

I haven't even started the download, and my Safari is snappier

Could it be that AT&T updated something on their end as well?
  • Reply 47 of 219
    Downloaded and backing up for the new load now.

2.0.1 fixed the spontaneous phone reboots, but apps still tended to crash. Some apps would reach a point of refusing to run until the phone itself was restarted. Hopefully 2.0.2 will keep apps from crashing as often or at least make them more consistent at restarting afterward. Each step brings a little more progress.
  • Reply 48 of 219
    no re-setting up of mobile me has been necessary for me! last update made mobile me bugs worse, prompting a complete troubleshooting session (see http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1672)... contacts no longer constantly disappearing, lets hope 2.0.2 is a good one...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

It was not just a software update. I saw it state "Upgrading iPhone Firmware".

So let me see......

UPDATE:

OK...had 4 bars of 3G before...Have 4 bars of 3G after. No change there.

I did have to re-setup my two email accounts:

MobileMe

and

Yahoo.

Sense no difference at all, otherwise.

My iPhone always worked fine so at least it does not seem like that changed......

• Reply 49 of 219
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mark W View Post

For #2 - what is it you are wanting to search? Perhaps the Google app would interest you (free)

What is the iPhone equivalent of Cmd-F in the full-blown versions of Safari and Mail?

BTW: The iPhone Google app looks like a privacy threat. Does anybody know?
  • Reply 50 of 219
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jhatz768 View Post

You mind cleaning up your language?

No, seriously, are you worried your three-year-old is reading this forum? Don't even worry about your nine-year-old; his language when you are not around would make a soldier blush.
  • Reply 51 of 219
    Contacts still has an annoying delay of 2-3 seconds after launch during which it's unresponsive. It also often opens at one location in the list, and then jumps to a different location upon being responsive.

After the update, my bars go to 11, which is one more than 10.
  • Reply 52 of 219
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    I want to be able to sync the iPhone Notes with Mac applications such as Mail or Entourage. Note syncing should be possible without having to pay for a MobileMe account.
  • Reply 53 of 219
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

Could it be that AT&T updated something on their end as well?

If the majority of the iPhones are backing up and installing the new point update then they are not sucking the carriers bandwidth. But that seems a very unlikely reason.
  • Reply 54 of 219
    Things feel more responsive after 2.0.2. Contacts seems better when first opening.

However, 3G is still flaky for me. I'm in the financial district of San Francisco at work. With the phone on my desk, I get 4 to 5 bars in 3G but then it'll randomly drop to EDGE and it usually will not go back to 3G unless I force it to (via airplane mode, turning 3G on or off, or powering the phone off and back on) - at which point it will pick up 4 to 5 bars again for a while before dropping to EDGE again. This is while it is sitting in one place on my desk.

My coworker sits a few feet away and has a Samsung Blackjack on AT&T without any 3G problems in the office.
  • Reply 55 of 219
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

I want to be able to sync the iPhone Notes with Mac applications such as Mail or Entourage. Note syncing should be possible without having to pay for a MobileMe account.

Note Syncing with MobileMe does not sync to your iPhone. It's like most of the syncing options with MM on a Mac. It's basically cloud storage that will sync to your other Macs and that is it.

It is pretty lame that this feature which was introduced in Leopard Mail does not work with the iPhone.
  • Reply 56 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Contacts still has an annoying delay of 2-3 seconds after launch during which it's unresponsive. It also often opens at one location in the list, and then jumps to a different location upon being responsive.

After the update, my bars go to 11, which is one more than 10.

I don't think that that is a defect.

Most iPhone apps have a startup delay - some throw up a splash screen to cover the true load time.

Likely, Contacts is just loading a small portion of the data and displaying it until it has the full contact list loaded.

Do you have a large contact list?
  • Reply 57 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by woofpup View Post

However, 3G is still flaky for me. I'm in the financial district of San Francisco at work. With the phone on my desk, I get 4 to 5 bars in 3G but then it'll randomly drop to EDGE and it usually will not go back to 3G unless I force it to. This is while it is sitting in one place on my desk.

My coworker sits a few feet away and has a Samsung Blackjack on AT&T without any 3G problems in the office.

Apple would have made a big deal out of any 3G improvements, so if there are some who notice an improvement it may be some slight adjustment that Apple did-- but my guess is we will hear of the Infineon tweak sometime later.
  • Reply 58 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leithal View Post

I don't think that that is a defect.

I believe few would people argue that the jumping isn't a defect. And in my book, not being responsive when the display looks like it's ready, is a defect.

Quote:

Most iPhone apps have a startup delay - some throw up a splash screen to cover the true load time.

The Phone app has virtually no startup delay.

Quote:

Likely, Contacts is just loading a small portion of the data and displaying it until it has the full contact list loaded.

Do you have a large contact list?

Just under 500. Big but not gigantic. I'm sure the data are stored in a database after all.
  • Reply 59 of 219
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morky View Post

No, seriously, are you worried your three-year-old is reading this forum? Don't even worry about your nine-year-old; his language when you are not around would make a soldier blush.

So...

1) When will you be 10 years old?

2) Print this out and have a teacher, parent, friend, etc. mail it back to you in ten years. Perhaps by then you will have developed a vocabulary.
  • Reply 60 of 219
    nasdarqnasdarq Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morky View Post

Lol, good form.

Back to the topic, here almost in the middle of London (Notting Hill/Bayswater) my iPhone's 3G bars are constantly jumping up an down from 1 to 5 and back like (I presume) Dick Cheney's heart on 5 Red Bulls ... Furthermore, the 3G signal is being very frequently replaced by Edge even as I am strolling quietly around my flat. The situation is no better at the flagship Apple store itself (on Regent street) - it was almost embarrassing to watch an Apple presenter swapping 3G for wifi during an iPhone presentation; the chap mumbled the usual mantra 'thanking o2 for that connection' but I doubt more and more that the network operator is in fact to blame ...

Also true that the iPod function usually interferes with web-surfing (and vice versa) - have had quite a few 'broken records' while trying only these 2 functionalities at once ...

In addition, did you notice that the GPS has an allarming tendency to be 'unable to determine your current location'? For me, it happens nine times out of ten ... And I'm not doing it in my basement, if you would like to ask.

Plus, many outside apps (such as the Facebook chat) break down almost constantly for no apparent reason, and yet again I have a suspicion it may not be (at least solely) Facebook's or other developers' fault ...

And iPhone's Bluetooth capabilities and its battery life - don't even get me started ...

Finally, Apple, are you going to address the total travesty that is the iPhone's genocide of custom ringtones and its collection of factory ringtones that is worthy of any respectable mobile phone circa 1994 ... And please, spare me the usual 'legal/illegal ... copyright' bullshit this time ...

And what is copy/paste, by the way? Personally, never heard of such a groundbreaking functionality.