Workflow for Converting DVD Rips to iPhone/AppleTV Format??

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I've backed-up hundreds of my DVD movies using MacTheRipper in the Video_TS Folder format, and I would now like to begin converting these ripped backups so that I can have a version that will be optimized for my AppleTV (for high-res playback) and also so that I can have a version specifically for playback on my iPhone (lower-res; 480x320)? I use a Mac of course, and would most likely use Handbrake and/or Visual Hub to accomplish this task...

I first wanted to know if some of you also convert your rips so that they're optimized for playback device on the specific device you'll be viewing them on (i.e. not putting a 2GB-3GB movie on my iPhone when the playback quality from the iPhone won't be much better than a movie that's a mere 500MB-1GB)...

An secondly, assuming that there are some of you out there that also prefer to convert movies optimized for specific viewing devices (i.e. Apple TV; iPhone; etc), what method (application and/or preset) do you use for converting for each?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Yeh I use Handbrake to accomplaih this task. If anyone spams their app below here ignore it. You can do all this for free. Even Visual Hub has a free version called iSquint.

I use Handbrake to convert dvd's into mp4's. It has an Apple TV preset with the bytes I think set to 2500 but I usually lower it to 2000 just to reduce the size of the finished file. When you have as any dvd's as I/you/others have it is sometimes essential to try and conserve space.

I use iSquint to convert avi's to mp4 for playback on my ATV as well.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    m021478,

I stumbled across your question while searching around in the forum and just wanted to offer my input. I've been using Handbrake for some time now and love the program. It's easy to use, it's customizable, and it gets the job done. I currently own 1500+ DVDs. Originally I started converting the movies over to my 5G iPod (Video) the only downfall was I was limited to a 640x480 resolution. My mom then purchased a 160GB iPod Classic and then I added an iPhone and Apple TV to my device list as well. The classic, iphone, and appletv all support ANAMORPHIC video, however my 5G iPod does not. After playing with some settings in Handbrake I was able to create a template built off the iPhone preset that allowed me a single file using LOOSE anamorphic and a bit rate of 1600, which worked wonderfully on my ipod 5g, classic, iphone, and appletv (hooked to a 42" lcd) So I'm now in the process of redoing the entire library. With all of that my point comes to this, it is all compromise. This setting works for me and I am very pleased with it. So I wanted to offer a couple options you can do to accomplish what u set out for.

Since you are using a iPhone and Apple TV - you could use the iPhone Present within Handbrake, change the bit rate to something around 1500-1600 and under picture settings make sure STRICT is checked for Anamorphic. This will give you a file around 1.2GB for a 90min movie (estimation) - you can also set up the audio so that you have a true surround sound for a dolby digital bypass on your apple tv if you wanted to.

If space is not a limitation for you then you could set handbrake to do 2 files per video - one with a maxed out apple tv setting and the other a maxed out iphone setting. - I did this for a while but it consumes space rather quickly.

I honestly think building off the iPhone preset with Handbrake and setting your picture quality to Strict Anamorphic would be ideal for what you are wanting to accomplish. Just remember to bump up the bitrate - I recommend doing a chapter test - and just play with different settings until u find the one that you are willing to work with. And since you have them as Video-TS folders already just set up a batch each night and convert them while you are sleeping.

As for tagging the files I recommend MetaX - the program is amazing and you can send the file directly from Handbrake into it and then directly into iTunes. That's the workflow I use. Also LOSTIFY is capable of the tagging video files as well.

I hope this information is helpful for you - if you would like to see the settings I use please feel free to contact me.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDunno View Post

Yeh I use Handbrake to accomplaih this task. If anyone spams their app below here ignore it. You can do all this for free. Even Visual Hub has a free version called iSquint.

I use Handbrake to convert dvd's into mp4's. It has an Apple TV preset with the bytes I think set to 2500 but I usually lower it to 2000 just to reduce the size of the finished file. When you have as any dvd's as I/you/others have it is sometimes essential to try and conserve space.

I use iSquint to convert avi's to mp4 for playback on my ATV as well.

I use the exact same workflow as above.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Can someone summarize the issues, and perhaps outline the settings for a solution, to the problem in this thread?

What I have learned: When I rip a DVD using something like DVD Shrink at maximum settings (i.e. as little loss as possible), I end up with VOB files, etc. Those cannot be played on the appleTV without a lot of rigamarole involving some fairly intensive atv hacks (intensive in that they require a fair bit of knowledge and ongoing tweaking). And a VOB can't be played on an ipod or iphone at all. But, I've found as so many have that you can rip from those VOB's or from a DVD directly using Handbrake. And I've found I can convert .avi's that you might come accross into .mp4's using iSquint using the "Go Nuts" setting.

My big problem that I can't seem to solve:Not all handbrake settings create files that play on all platforms: atv, ipod, and iphone. This is frustrating. What I want is a HIGH RES setting - really high - minimal loss - file size not an issue - that comes out of handbrake and plays on all platforms. It pains me to rip a DVD in Handbrake and see it get knocked down to a much lower frame size. I know there must be a way to create a preset for HandBrake or just dial in my own settings so it works for everything at minimum of loss. But it is not obvious to me. It seems like Handbrake should make a "high res/all platforms" prese

My conclusion so far: My opinion is that Handbrake is a person's best bet for converting DVD's to mp4s and iSquint is your best way to convert avi's to mp4's. As a lazy person, this is what I do. However, I have three ATV's (one for each TV), about 5 ipods, and 2 iphones (one for me and one for the missus). If I use the AppleTV setting, the resulting file won't play on the iphone, although it will play on ipods. What I use right now is the iPod Hi-Rez setting. That plays on iphone, atv, and ipod, but it still kills me when we watch movies on the 50" LCD - the movies are pixellated.

A technical question that plagues me, but is perhaps merely for the interested student: Why won't the Apple TV setting (which is nice and big) play on the iphone? Does it have to do wtih the anamorphic issue? And what exactly is that issue?

The ultimate ask:: Has anyone faced this AppleTV, iphone, ipod compatability issue - combined with a desire for really high-resolution files - and found a simple acceptable solution out of Handbrake?

I feel like adamlikesppl above (and below) might have it the closest, but can anyone add to or clarify the VERY VERY best, clearest way to one-stop-shopping (I mean one-stop-ripping) for use across the various apple platforms?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by adamlikesppl View Post

m021478,

After playing with some settings in Handbrake I was able to create a template built off the iPhone preset that allowed me a single file using LOOSE anamorphic and a bit rate of 1600, which worked wonderfully on my ipod 5g, classic, iphone, and appletv (hooked to a 42" lcd).