Apple will replace 'exploding' first-run iPod nanos

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
After instances where first-generation iPod nanos' power has triggered minor but device-killing fires, Apple has agreed to replace for free any more of the music players that suffer the same problem.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based electronics maker has released a statement to the press confirming the issue and solution while also attempting to minimize the scope of the problem.

"Apple has determined that in very rare cases, batteries in first-generation iPod nanos sold between Sept. 2005 and Dec. 2006 can overheat, causing failure and deformation of the iPod nano," the company explains. "Apple has received very few reports of such incidents (less than 0.001 percent of first-generation iPod nano units), which have been traced back to a single battery supplier. There have been no reports of serious injuries or property damage, and no reports of incidents for any other iPod nano model.

"Any first-generation iPod nano customers who have experienced their battery overheating should contact AppleCare for a replacement. Any other customers who have concerns about their first-generation iPod nano battery should also contact AppleCare."

The release comes at the end of a Japanese government investigation into reports of some original iPod nanos melting and even popping open due to excess heat, particularly when the device is plugged into a computer for recharging.

Customers from other nations also say they have witnessed their iPods' self-destruction.

An American's iPod nano after a fire. | Image credits: The Consumerist.

While unlikely to be directly connected, the problem is reminiscent of a similar issue with Sony notebook batteries that prompted a worldwide battery recall after it was determined that a manufacturing flaw made them overly susceptible to fires; since then, Sony has toughened up its designs to prevent such incidents in the future.

It's not known if the issue extends to additional iPod nanos or other portable media players.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Oh... that'll buff right out. (in reference to the photo... LOL)
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Kind of makes the issue of noticeable scratches a moot point.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Ew, nasty flamage.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    The limited edition Amy Winehouse Nano.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    ..."oh, please, please, please let my white, first generation nano burst into flames."
  • Reply 6 of 9
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Ohhh no, even nano has the "Kill Switch." I guess Jobs pulled it for few poeple.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

The limited edition Amy Winehouse Nano.

LMAO !

On the Subject of Amy Winehouse....

Whilst watching the BBC coverage of the Olympics, one of the commentators suggested that..

'I wonder what they will do for the torch lighting ceremony for the London Olympics in 2012? Perhaps they could have Amy Winehouse stagger up a ramp and flick her blunt into the pit to light it'
  • Reply 8 of 9
    So I have called Apple Care about 3 times now and no one seems to know of this and they want to pawn off a refurb one to me. In the mean time my ipod is like a toasted marshmallow!!! Has anyone had any luck with apple and getting it fixed or even replaced?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arod0908 View Post

So I have called Apple Care about 3 times now and no one seems to know of this and they want to pawn off a refurb one to me. In the mean time my ipod is like a toasted marshmallow!!! Has anyone had any luck with apple and getting it fixed or even replaced?

It looks to me by your own words that Apple tried to replace yours but you refused.

This is a model that was discontinued over two years ago. I doubt there are new ones to be had anymore.

Not only that, refurbished Apple products are usually indistinguishable from new.

It looks like you are probably out of warranty anyway. Most companies just say you are SOL when the warranty is out.