Apple: iPhone 2.0.2 update targets 3G issues

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

It does already. There are nearly 140 language settings to chose from. Cripes you even have a choice of English, British English, Australian English and U.S. English.

Obvious what's missing is Idiot's English.

Ouch.
  • Reply 22 of 102
    embeeembee Posts: 18member
    Quote:

Abster, that's the default setting on the internets.
  • Reply 23 of 102
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

It does already. There are nearly 140 language settings to chose from. Cripes you even have a choice of English, British English, Australian English and U.S. English.

Hit him with your pocket protector, nerd!
  • Reply 24 of 102
    dcdttudcdttu Posts: 25member
    I am fine with the fact that I may live in a city with less-than-perfect reception.

I am fine with the fact that the 2.0.2 update designed the iPhone to handle 3G/2G issues better.

I am not fine with the fact that my friend's Nokia N75 has 3G with no issues all over the city and is hardly ever in 2G when my iPhone 3G is in 2G about 80% of the time. When it has 3G, the signal is so bad or weak most of the time that the call drops. I cannot keep a 3G signal with my phone anywhere near downtown Austin, where my friend's AT&T 3G phones work great in 3G and never go down to 2G.

Additionally, after 2.0.1 and 2.0.2, my phone now drops calls when in 2G all of the time. 1/2 of the calls initiated are dropped now, and I did not have this problem with 2.0.0.

Apple's 2.0.2 fix simply bandaided the problem, which is likely a hardware or low-level chipset driver issue, and certainly didn't give my phone adequate reception.

This phone obviously performs below what a 3G phone should be capable of, reception-wise.
  • Reply 25 of 102
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Maybe a "class action" is what is needed in this case .

Come back in 30 minutes =P

K
  • Reply 26 of 102
    Quote:

Maybe a "class action" is what is needed in this case. Many of these problems are because Apple though its "veil of secrecy" has not full tested the iPhone in multiple real world conditions. If they had, this GSM 101 radio issue would have been recognized and possibly corrected. It seems that Apple has fallen victim to its own hype.

i wonder if anyone has tried to return a phone because of defective signal strength. i returned my first 3g iphone because it had a fault screen. They had "replacement units" at the apple store to deal with this. but - to have a successful cause of action - you'd have to have damages - (I think - obviously I'm not an attorney)... I'm not sure apple made any representations about signal strength.. so you'd have to fall back on some sort of reasonable expectation for service. but if apple were willing to swap the defective unit for a better new one - not sure you would have a cause unless you could prove that each phone you received had an unreasonable signal capability...
  • Reply 27 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

i wonder if anyone has tried to return a phone because of defective signal strength. i returned my first 3g iphone because it had a fault screen. They had "replacement units" at the apple store to deal with this. but - to have a successful cause of action - you'd have to have damages - (I think - obviously I'm not an attorney)... I'm not sure apple made any representations about signal strength.. so you'd have to fall back on some sort of reasonable expectation for service. but if apple were willing to swap the defective unit for a better new one - not sure you would have a cause unless you could prove that each phone you received had an unreasonable signal capability...

You make a good argument. I would guess that the iPhone's performance should or will be based against current off the shelf models that should fall within ETSI 3G performance standards. I mean that iPhone has to meet a set of criteria to be certified. Not quite sure how this will play out but I wonder if hush money is changing hands.
  • Reply 28 of 102
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Thank God for a realistic non cheerleading answer. I would like to see the sales figures when Nokia releases the N96 next month. Right now, it is one the most anticipated phones out there.

Yet, I nor anyone else at my work knows about it. Of course, with the iPhone 3G launch gone, the LG Fill In the Blank could be considered anticipated.
  • Reply 29 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Yet, I nor anyone else at my work knows about it. Of course, with the iPhone 3G launch gone, the LG Fill In the Blank could be considered anticipated.

True enough. The iPhone was surely surrounded with hype at its launch and in a way these continued mishaps keep it a topic of the news. Still, I would like to see it sales figures (it is now sold globally) when it goes up against another prospective high performer phone. If you live in the US, I can understand your lack of information regarding other high end phones.

Specs:http://europe.nokia.com/A4797549
  • Reply 30 of 102
    Quote:

Perhaps when you learn to read.

Click on the Edit List... button and add British English if it is not already shown. Then, make sure you have dragged British English to the top of the list. And follow the directions.

By the way, it's in the Help menu. Suggest you go there first before mouthing off.

And where, pray tell, is this magical menu on the frickin' iPhone?

Under Settings>General>International>Language, there's only the option for 'English' - which I presume means your bastardised dialect...
  • Reply 31 of 102
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I'd be very interested to know when Apple will start to integrate WiMax into their mix.

To the techies... is WiMax robust enough to handle VOIP?
  • Reply 32 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

Under Settings>General>International>Language, there's only the option for 'English' - which I presume means your bastardised dialect...

declare independence more than 200 years ago.. and the tension persists....

choose the region format in the box two below "language" and see if that helps
  • Reply 33 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

declare independence more than 200 years ago.. and the tension persists....

choose the region format in the box two below "language" and see if that helps

actually - sorry - you need to use the Keyboard box one below the "language" - this drives keyboard and dictionary... apologies for the misdirection.
  • Reply 34 of 102
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Maybe a "class action" is what is needed in this case. Many of these problems are because Apple though its "veil of secrecy" has not full tested the iPhone in multiple real world conditions. If they had, this GSM 101 radio issue would have been recognized and possibly corrected. It seems that Apple has fallen victim to its own hype.

Class action suit claims Apple deceived over iPhone 3G speeds

Best,

K
  • Reply 35 of 102

You're two mins late.

Thanks.
  • Reply 36 of 102
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

Read the friggin manual (p28-9). Amazing what you may find,

"iPhone has dictionaries for all supported languages. The appropriate dictionary is

activated automatically when you select a keyboard on iPhone. iPhone uses the active

dictionary to suggest corrections or complete the word you?re typing."

And it works as directed!
  • Reply 37 of 102
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:

Shouldn't that be "bastardized dialect"?

Being Australian, I'll claim neutrality on this one. We spell most things the UK way, but I prefer -ize endings because, historically, most '-ise' endings (and '-our' spellings) are due to the French influence on the language. And being a good Frog-hating Anglosaxon, I don't like that at all at all.

Here's what Concise Oxford says: "The form -ize has been in use in English since the 16th c.; it is widely used in American English, but is not an Americanism. The alternative spelling -ise (reflecting a French influence) is in common use, esp. in British English, and is obligatory in certain cases: (a) where it forms part of a larger word-element, such as -mise (= sending) in compromise, and -prise (= taking) in surprise; and (b) in verbs corresponding to nouns with -i- in the stem, such as advertise and televise."
  • Reply 38 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piano08man View Post

Personally, my iPhone lost quite a bit 3G reception with the new update. I compared my work location and home location before and after the update, and can verify that there's definitely worse 3G reception at least for my iPhone.

I see from your article you are getting both fewer bars, and dropped calls.

I personally want the iPhone to recognise that we're not getting 1 bar reception - and treat it as NONE. So being "harsher" in how it rates reception would be good. But if you're losing calls where you were not before, then that's bad.

You don't say whether you were losing calls before with the 2.0.1 firmware.

Quote:

when will the spell checker stop correcting organise to organize

I thought that if you override "organize" each time, the iPhone learns you're more likely to want "organise". (If you let it auto-correct to organize, then it doesn't learn of course.)
  • Reply 39 of 102
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I thought that if you override "organize" each time, the iPhone learns you're more likely to want "organise". (If you let it auto-correct to organize, then it doesn't learn of course.)

Simpler yet. Use the appropriate keyboard setting
  • Reply 40 of 102
    Quote:

Simpler yet. Use the appropriate keyboard setting

Damn, now you're using logic and intelligence to offer a vastly better suggestion.

edit: I haven't actually done this myself nor looked... will do so tonight since I'm stuck on a contract and my wife owns the iPhone