Apple: iPhone 2.0.2 update targets 3G issues

Comments

• Reply 41 of 102
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

It does already. There are nearly 140 language settings to chose from. Cripes you even have a choice of English, British English, Australian English, Canadian English and U.S. English.

Obvious what's missing is Idiot's English.

That would explain why I haven't heard anyone griping about it, but I don't have it.

Under Language I have 'English'. No variances.

Under Keyboards I have 'English' and 'English (UK)'.

Under Region Format I have the countries you mention above, but these have no baring on my spelling as the spellchecker still wants to suggest zed over 's'.

What am I missing?
  • Reply 42 of 102
    The 2.0.2 actually made my reception worse.

Whether the fault lies with Apple (Faulty Phone) or AT&T (Faulty network), THERE IS a big problem with the iPhone & reception!

I am now on my 3rd iPhone 3G in Los Angeles & the reception has been the same on all 3 phones ~ HORRIBLE!.

I don't care who's fault it is! All i know is somebody did not do there home work & released these prematurely!

Apple or AT&T or Both need to get there sh*t together & make this thing work! PERIOD!

• Reply 43 of 102
    princeprince Posts: 89member
    Quote:

"I am not fine with the fact that my friend's Nokia N75 has 3G with no issues all over the city and is hardly ever in 2G when my iPhone 3G is in 2G about 80% of the time."

It should come as no surprise that Nokia has a big lead in developing 3G software; it has decades of primary experience in developing handsets. Apple has a big lead in developing interfaces, with decades of experience. Guess who will learn the other's craft faster? Lots of other companies have delivered 3G expertise in short order, but nobody seems to match Apple's ability to make tools that work well and look great.

I predict the current problems with the iPhone 3G will be addressed as rapidly as the initial problems (that nobody recalls today) with the original iPhone were. Everyone swears up and down that the first iPhone was rock solid, but forgets there were problems at the beginning. Well by the end of the year, I doubt there will be many complaints about iPhone 2.x (or at least a host of new, smaller, and more petty issues).

However, by the end of the year, and well into the next decade, Nokia will continue to sell phones that look like they run DOS and are as kludgy as every other phone on the market outside of Apple's. That's the real difference we're talking about. Apple also knows software platform development, software marketing, and content deals & distribution. Nokia is trying to learn all those things.
  • Reply 44 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prince View Post

It should come as no surprise that Nokia has a big lead in developing 3G software

I agree totally. The Nokia is a far better "phone" than the iPhone.

That said... I get about 1 in 10 calls dropping.

and I'd say without thinking that I'm always on 3G... but really when I look at the phone it's in 2G about 1/4 of the time probably. (I've noticed it more since the iPhone was launched actually, but wasn't looking before...).
  • Reply 45 of 102
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prince View Post

It should come as no surprise that Nokia has a big lead in developing 3G software; it has decades of primary experience in developing handsets. Apple has a big lead in developing interfaces, with decades of experience. Guess who will learn the other's craft faster? Lots of other companies have delivered 3G expertise in short order, but nobody seems to match Apple's ability to make tools that work well and look great.

I predict the current problems with the iPhone 3G will be addressed as rapidly as the initial problems (that nobody recalls today) with the original iPhone were. Everyone swears up and down that the first iPhone was rock solid, but forgets there were problems at the beginning. Well by the end of the year, I doubt there will be many complaints about iPhone 2.x (or at least a host of new, smaller, and more petty issues).

However, by the end of the year, and well into the next decade, Nokia will continue to sell phones that look like they run DOS and are as kludgy as every other phone on the market outside of Apple's. That's the real difference we're talking about. Apple also knows software platform development, software marketing, and content deals & distribution. Nokia is trying to learn all those things.

Exactly. Nokia is a hardware company who's core business is phones, sooooooo your argument is wasted on the obvious. Also, last time I checked, Nokia is sharing Symbian (recently purchased it) so the interface had to work on a number of phones, not just one. Maybe if Apple had to share its platform with different venders it would look different.

Sometimes your cheerleading gets ahead of your accurate reporting.
  • Reply 46 of 102
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That would explain why I haven't heard anyone griping about it, but I don't have it.

Under Language I have 'English'. No variances.

Under Keyboards I have 'English' and 'English (UK)'.

Under Region Format I have the countries you mention above, but these have no baring on my spelling as the spellchecker still wants to suggest zed over 's'.

What am I missing?

On the iPhone you set the Keyboard preference to language, e.g English (UK) under Keyboards will use the UK dictionary for spelling.

My original post referred to the Leopard on the Mac. Obviously, the iPhone has limited number of languages because of space. But any suggestion that Apple is US centric is uncalled for.
  • Reply 47 of 102
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

On the iPhone you set the Keyboard preference to language, e.g English (UK) under Keyboards will use the UK dictionary for spelling.

From my testing this is not correct. Only the keyboard changes. Whether you have the generic or UK English chosen the spellchecker stays the same. This means that if you try to spell words in British English it won't correct you, except in rare cases that seem to mostly end with -ise.

Quote:

My original post referred to the Leopard on the Mac. Obviously, the iPhone has limited number of languages because of space. But any suggestion that Apple is US centric is uncalled for.

I see. Do to the article title I thought he was referring to the iPhone, which I think he was since 'organise' is one of the offending words that won't spellcheck correctly. But I see why you answered in reply to Mac OS X, since he was attacking Apple's overall universal software distribution method.
  • Reply 48 of 102
    Quote:

It does already. There are nearly 140 language settings to chose from. Cripes you even have a choice of English, British English, Australian English, Canadian English and U.S. English.

Obvious what's missing is Idiot's English.

First of all, why do you have to answer every post in such a nasty tone?

Secondly, I just now looked at my iPhone 3G's 2.0.2 Settings > General > International > Language, and my screen only shows English, then French, then German, along with another 15 languages - not the 4 or 5 different iterations of English you mention. Is it hidden in another special area or do you just have a really special iPhone?
  • Reply 49 of 102
    teehee...Archipellago speaks no more. Good troll, you know how to shut up when you've been incredibly refuted.
  • Reply 50 of 102
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

And where, pray tell, is this magical menu on the frickin' iPhone?

Under Settings>General>International>Language, there's only the option for 'English' - which I presume means your bastardised dialect...

Your dialect seems far superior. The use of the word frickin' is Queen's English all the way.
  • Reply 51 of 102
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Exactly. Nokia is a hardware company who's core business is phones, sooooooo your argument is wasted on the obvious. Also, last time I checked, Nokia is sharing Symbian (recently purchased it) so the interface had to work on a number of phones, not just one. Maybe if Apple had to share its platform with different venders it would look different.

Sometimes your cheerleading gets ahead of your accurate reporting.

I feel like you missed the finer point of what he was saying. Essentially that Nokia has already gone thorugh its bumps with developing 3G technology. Apple is now going through similar problems but these types of issues are easily fixed. Developing user interfaces and operating systems are much more difficult to design and fix. This is where Apple excels.
  • Reply 52 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I feel like you missed the finer point of what he was saying. Essentially that Nokia has already gone thorugh its bumps with developing 3G technology. Apple is now going through similar problems but these types of issues are easily fixed. Developing user interfaces and operating systems are much more difficult to design and fix. This is where Apple excels.

I might have missed the "finer" point because it was lost in all the cheerleading. While some things can be fixed (Nokia fixed the N95 problem with a software upgrade and battery life almost doubled), but a chip issue is not as simple as wishing it away. If the chip is proven to be bad, and I would be willing to bet Apple will lie until they are caught and proven to be liars, Apple will have to recall and re-issue a bunch of phones.
  • Reply 53 of 102
    appl4appl4 Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

And where, pray tell, is this magical menu on the frickin' iPhone?

Under Settings>General>International>Language, there's only the option for 'English' - which I presume means your bastardised dialect...

sorry to burst ur pride...'English' in its original Queens form itself is a bastard language. It has a million vague roots. It has no proper foundation or ancestry. It is an incomplete language wherein u have only 1/3rd the vowels required for normal human speech pattenr and 1/2 the consonants. Hence the illogical pronunciation headache...which irreverent Americans try to fix by further bastardizing it...If you want to learn a logical & proper language with solid ancestry, google 'indo-european' or Sanskrit
  • Reply 54 of 102
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:

I would like to see the sales figures when Nokia releases the N96 next month. Right now, it is one the most anticipated phones out there.

Why do people think the N96 will be that great of a phone? Yes, it is chock full of features, and yes, the camera on that thing is nothing to sneeze at, but let's look at the facts here. It is rated at a *maximum* talk time of 3.7 hours, which I would definitely call dismal. It relies on basic T9 for all text input instead of a full QWERTY keyboard or even SureType, like on some Blackberries. On top of that, it will cost a whopping $900, assuming you can find it new and not on something like eBay, where it will most definitely be much much more. Looking at a 16GB (identical storage capacity) iPhone 3G at $299, that's 1/3 of the price. The fact the N96 is unlocked is irrelevant, at least here in the States, since AT&T is unfortunately the best option here for GSM phones, so you would still be locked to AT&T's crappy service, since T-Mobile's US network is almost nonexistent. The N96 has a better camera, yes, but I will argue that it does nothing else better than an iPhone does and will, especially when they start working out more and more kinks. It seems to me the N96 is for the person who can afford to blow 900 bucks on a phone and brag to people about it, whereas I got my iPhone for the simple fact that I wanted as many things as humanly possible into one device, and in that sense, the iPhone wins against anything else hands-down. It has a very robust e-mail system now with the 2.x.x software, the best browser BY FAR in a mobile device, the best mp3 player out there, and almost endless possibilities for expansion with the 3rd party apps, not to mention the simplest, most advance OS period, whether it's a cell phone or anything else. The camera is nothing to write home about, but is adequate for snapshots of the world around you. And I would like to have MMS, but thinking back to my phone before my iPhone, I used it maybe once a month, whereas I text more often than I talk nowadays.

The n96 will never be anything more than a glorified music phone/camera, and people who believe it is a smartphone obviously have no sense of what a smartphone is.
  • Reply 55 of 102
    Quote:

I might have missed the "finer" point because it was lost in all the cheerleading. While some things can be fixed (Nokia fixed the N95 problem with a software upgrade and battery life almost doubled), but a chip issue is not as simple as wishing it away. If the chip is proven to be bad, and I would be willing to bet Apple will lie until they are caught and proven to be liars, Apple will have to recall and re-issue a bunch of phones.

You seem to be lost in your own world... Prince made a statement that seems correct.

Apple has had <3 year experience with cell technology; other phone and OS developers have had many years experience at crafting user interfaces.

The other companies don't seem to be improving, while Apple's ability to improve their telecomm product remains unseen. Point is, stop claiming everyone is 'cheerleading.' Sure, many people on these forums are (what do you expect, anyway) but that doesn't mean everyone is.

Really, what is more annoying than any type of fanboy-ism is the anti-fanboy/troll-like propaganda spouted off to rile up the cheerleaders. You know what? Let them cheerlead! Technology enthusiasts don't have much to cheer over since Microsoft began dominating everything and the kitchen sink.

Everyone has a bias when it comes to everything. You're no different, so give us all a break.
  • Reply 56 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Why do people think the N96 will be that great of a phone? Yes, it is chock full of features, and yes, the camera on that thing is nothing to sneeze at, but let's look at the facts here. It is rated at a *maximum* talk time of 3.7 hours, which I would definitely call dismal. It relies on basic T9 for all text input instead of a full QWERTY keyboard or even SureType, like on some Blackberries. On top of that, it will cost a whopping $900, assuming you can find it new and not on something like eBay, where it will most definitely be much much more. Looking at a 16GB (identical storage capacity) iPhone 3G at $299, that's 1/3 of the price.

$299.00 huh? Try living anywhere else and that $299 easily becomes $999.99 if not more. The last SMS'ng contest was won by a T9 user that understands how to use it. Maybe a bit of education or having a peek at an owners manual might be in order. Been using T9 since its inception and it does the trick.

Quote:

The fact the N96 is unlocked is irrelevant, at least here in the States, since AT&T is unfortunately the best option here for GSM phones, so you would still be locked to AT&T's crappy service, since T-Mobile's US network is almost nonexistent. The N96 has a better camera, yes, but I will argue that it does nothing else better than an iPhone does and will, especially when they start working out more and more kinks.

Unlocking is irrelevant? Get a passport, take your phone and travel. Make a few calls while roaming and then check back in and see if unlocking a phone suddenly becomes relevant.

Quote:

It seems to me the N96 is for the person who can afford to blow 900 bucks on a phone and brag to people about it, whereas I got my iPhone for the simple fact that I wanted as many things as humanly possible into one device, and in that sense, the iPhone wins against anything else hands-down. It has a very robust e-mail system now with the 2.x.x software, the best browser BY FAR in a mobile device, the best mp3 player out there, and almost endless possibilities for expansion with the 3rd party apps, not to mention the simplest, most advance OS period, whether it's a cell phone or anything else. The camera is nothing to write home about, but is adequate for snapshots of the world around you. And I would like to have MMS, but thinking back to my phone before my iPhone, I used it maybe once a month, whereas I text more often than I talk nowadays.

The N96 is for people that want it. Period. You can't define who a user is any more than you can decide who a user isn't. The iPhone is a device targeted at a different market and what the iPhone does, it does very well but it is not an end all device.

Quote:

The n96 will never be anything more than a glorified music phone/camera, and people who believe it is a smartphone obviously have no sense of what a smartphone is.

Now you can see the future. Your gifts are limitless. From your lumping the iPhone in the smartphone category, you just proved that you are living proof of the last line of your statement.
  • Reply 57 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmadlena View Post

You seem to be lost in your own world... Prince made a statement that seems correct.

Apple has had <3 year experience with cell technology; other phone and OS developers have had many years experience at crafting user interfaces.

The other companies don't seem to be improving, while Apple's ability to improve their telecomm product remains unseen. Point is, stop claiming everyone is 'cheerleading.' Sure, many people on these forums are (what do you expect, anyway) but that doesn't mean everyone is.

Really, what is more annoying than any type of fanboy-ism is the anti-fanboy/troll-like propaganda spouted off to rile up the cheerleaders. You know what? Let them cheerlead! Technology enthusiasts don't have much to cheer over since Microsoft began dominating everything and the kitchen sink.

Everyone has a bias when it comes to everything. You're no different, so give us all a break.

Uhhhh..... Sorry. Having a screwed up chip in your supposedly top of the lline, ground breaking, revolutionary device, in this day and age is weak, and supporters of this line of thinking are even weaker. The problems that Apple is having could have been solved by real world testing. Period. They chose to remain behind this "veil of secrecy", not test the phone on the hundreds of networks globally and it came back to bite them. Now they have to live with it.

As for cheerleading, I never said everyone was, you did. I was specific in my finger pointing, and even that was caveated. While I will agree with you about the M$ world domination tour (on the way down it would appear), some here are simply blinded by their loyalty even if the evidence is in their face.

I have an iPhone and defend it regularly against my Nokia and SE (yes some people use them) phone using friends, but I am also realistic enough to recognize a product for its value. I do not bash M$ for the sake of bashing them but when they do something that needs bashing. Same with Apple and the rest. My loyalty (technology wise) is to the best product that satisifies my needs and sometimes my wallet.
  • Reply 58 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piano08man View Post

I know that I've had more failures than successes with the new iPhone 3G where as my first gen was pretty rock solid. I and my readers would tell you that there doesn't really appear to be any fixes for some and others are having great success. Personally, my iPhone lost quite a bit 3G reception with the new update. I compared my work location and home location before and after the update, and can verify that there's definitely worse 3G reception at least for my iPhone. Take a look at the overall experience here:

Cocoa Touch Apps

I swear when I first got the 3g no coverage anywhere but specifically my home. 0 bars there, then I get 2.01 and I suddenly have 2-3 bars and it's actually

Fast. Then I get 2.02 and now I am back to 0 bars WTF I hate edge!!!
  • Reply 59 of 102
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

Do you have an authoritative source documenting this as a chip issue and, if so, which chip?

I've seen some speculation by a financial analyst, Richard Windsor of Nomura, who said "The dropped calls, service interruptions, and abrupt network switches experienced by iPhone 3G users reminded Windsor of similar complaints five years ago, when 3G phones were first launched in Europe" and suggested the faulty component was an "immature" infineon chipset. This is certainly not technical analysis. He was the same analyst who last year misreported that the original iPhone "uses a chemical deposition to provide touch sensitivity based on heat" which is completely false (the iPhone uses capacitance).

The Swedish engineering weekly, Ny Teknik, cited a report by unnamed experts who concluded that "the most likely cause of the 3G problems is defective adjustments between the antenna and an amplifier that captures very weak signals from the antenna. This could lead to poor 3G connectivity and slower data speeds." Reasonable but it would be more credible if the sources were named and, at any rate, seems to counter the claim that the problem is with an Infineon component.

BusinessWeek cited "two well-placed sources" who said that the problem relates to the Infineon chip but would be addressed with a firmware upgrade.

The only source "on the record" is Infineon who points out that the same chip is used in other phones without problems.

In other words, we really know nothing other than some people are having problems and we don't know how prevalent those problems are.
  • Reply 60 of 102
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

On top of that, it will cost a whopping $900, assuming you can find it new and not on something like eBay, where it will most definitely be much much more. Looking at a 16GB (identical storage capacity) iPhone 3G at $299, that's 1/3 of the price.

The iPhone is not $299.

Quote:

The fact the N96 is unlocked is irrelevant, at least here in the States, since AT&T is unfortunately the best option here for GSM phones, so you would still be locked to AT&T's crappy service, since T-Mobile's US network is almost nonexistent.

The fact that your countries networks are backward is irrelevant as well, at least you can tether with a N96...