Buying a Macbook Pro and need help

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    just ordered my mbp.. soo stoked
  • Reply 22 of 27
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Apple's timings always seem to be 1-2 months too late for me.

I start a new job at the start of September, and I'd like to have a 17" MBP in place by then, but I just know that they'll release a better machine shortly thereafter, and any laptop that I buy now will plummet in resale value.

I also know that if I hold out until the new MBP is announced, Apple will simply release a speed bump without an enclosure redesign an I'll wish I'd bought the existing MBP two months earlier and had two months use out of it.

I can't win.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    juxejuxe Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Apple's timings always seem to be 1-2 months too late for me.

I start a new job at the start of September, and I'd like to have a 17" MBP in place by then, but I just know that they'll release a better machine shortly thereafter, and any laptop that I buy now will plummet in resale value.

I also know that if I hold out until the new MBP is announced, Apple will simply release a speed bump without an enclosure redesign an I'll wish I'd bought the existing MBP two months earlier and had two months use out of it.

I can't win.

I completely agree. If you think about it, though, their timing does make sense. Right now the speculation is in September, which is right after the back to school deal ends. So, Apple clears their old inventory, and then replaces it with new models. And if you really can't wait the extra two or three weeks for the new one to be released, you could always buy the current MBP and pray that apple starts shipping the new MBP whithin two weeks.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Juxe View Post

I completely agree. If you think about it, though, their timing does make sense. Right now the speculation is in September, which is right after the back to school deal ends. So, Apple clears their old inventory, and then replaces it with new models. And if you really can't wait the extra two or three weeks for the new one to be released, you could always buy the current MBP and pray that apple starts shipping the new MBP whithin two weeks.

the next mbp to come out is almost certain to be a new one with new casing not jsut a speed bump. if you wait you win. if you dont............ you get a perfectly fine computer brilliantly designed that will likely last you jsut as long as the new one would
  • Reply 25 of 27
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Yeah, if you have the need for the computer, then it's never wasted, right?
  • Reply 26 of 27
    tripotripo Posts: 74member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Yeah, if you have the need for the computer, then it's never wasted, right?

I could've agreed IF i had some $2000 extra every year or so.

The thing is , that IF we are lucky to get a true update , not just a stupid semi-cpu bump and some more video ram (total waste of ram btw)//that was the last case , buying now we'll end up with a good 1 year old machine ,and suddenly it will look totally different.

I , for one, need the update till 14 september , after that i won't be in usa .,.and this has happend 3 times in a roll and every time seems the "apple's timer" is set 2 WEEKS after mine !!! is it luck or destiny ...

The truth is that i DO really need a new machine for work , but can't afford to spend $2000 every now and then .
  • Reply 27 of 27
    joe ojoe o Posts: 32member
    Personally, I will wait. I just got a new job as a teacher and I am hogging our iMac. My wife, also a teacher, wants to use it too, so she has now decided it's time to buy. She was actually looking at the Apple Store for Education and was trying to narrow her preference in models when she called me over to ask. I told her that I thought there might be a refresh soon, that the rumors indicate it might be something relatively major, and that there might even be a price cut.

She actually seemed bummed that I wanted to wait a whole month! She was ready to plop down some money now! Since our latest iMac (the last G5) is the first Mac she's ever owned (but probably my fourth or fifth in 15 years), she hadn't been stung yet by the ever-present urge to drop some cash and grab a Mac. That G5 iMac we bought was replaced a little over a month later by the new, improved Intel version. D'oh!!

My advice is to wait if you can. If you can't wait, you're still getting an awesome machine. If you can wait, you just might be in for something better. By the way, for those heading off to college soon, as a recent college graduate myself, I realize that most people are using laptops everywhere: in class, in the dining halls, in dorms, on the quad, etc. Unless it is absolutely required for the first day of class, you can and will be able to get by using the good ol' computer labs. I know they're quickly becoming dinosaurs on campus as people move to laptops, but they're still available. I'll bet you'll get along just fine if you get your laptop a few weeks later than everyone else.

Cheers!