Apple: iPhone 2.0.2 update targets 3G issues

Comments

• Reply 81 of 102
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is not the case with the word organise or the other -ise words that aren't considered acceptable spellings. It has auto-correction but I have not seen any evidence of it learning oft used words.

It seems very strange how it learns new words. Here in Florida, we have grocery stores called Publix. At first, the iPhone corrected this name to Public. But I've since corrected it from Public to Publix. Now when I type it, when I hit the last "x", it types a "c" instead (I'm watching the keyboard, and I definitely hit a "x", but the keyboard zooms into "c" as if I pressed it). But if I type the word and I hit a "z" last, it will suggest "Publix".
  • Reply 82 of 102
    still can't get the blue bar out of Field. test Mode...the only thing I think I can do is re install the software.. I tried to restart..
  • Reply 83 of 102
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

It seems very strange how it learns new words. Here in Florida, we have grocery stores called Publix. At first, the iPhone corrected this name to Public. But I've since corrected it from Public to Publix. Now when I type it, when I hit the last "x", it types a "c" instead (I'm watching the keyboard, and I definitely hit a "x", but the keyboard zooms into "c" as if I pressed it). But if I type the word and I hit a "z" last, it will suggest "Publix".

This may an issue with the auto-correction not being smart enough. Since 's' and 'z' are so close together the keyboard may override any frequently used words that it has saved to the dictionary and instead assume that you want organize instead of organise. The same maybe happening with word Publix since the 'c' is right next to the 'x'. But if you hit the 'z' no surrounding letter match a possible word so it jumps to the frequently used words and suggests the 'x'. (theory)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sigs21 View Post

still can't get the blue bar out of Field. test Mode...the only thing I think I can do is re install the software.. I tried to restart..

What does "blue are out of Field. test Mode" mean? I thought you were getting the option to toggle between the blue signal bars and the Field Test mode negative integer. If so, you have to hit right on that part of the screen so hitting it by accident is not likely. And if you do what is the big deal as you can just hit it again to switch back.
  • Reply 84 of 102
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    sapporobaby, I stated many times that I was talking about the US market in my post. I will not argue the fact that the price of an iPhone is more overseas, or that unlocked phones are more popular overseas as well. I am talking about in the United States, where I happen to live, where it is most relevant to me, and the iPhone most certainly is 300 dollars. I would pay the same monthly price with an N96 on AT&T as I am right now on my iPhone, so that price is a wash.

I can't remember who said it, but I agree, the US cell phone market is EXTREMELY behind the rest of the world, but the is not my fault, and I have to make my best decision with what is given to me, whether that includes a crappy service or not.

As far as T9 goes, yes, it is a good system for texting, but texting is not the end-all of messaging. When I need to type an email to my boss or my family, I am most certainly not using texting vocabulary such as u, r, lol, and the like. I am using proper English, and in that sense, T9 suddenly becomes much slower than a full keyboard. By your logic, we should be using T9 on our computer as well, since one person who was using it was the fastest texter. The fact is that most people are faster with a full keyboard rather than 12 buttons, and there's a reason you're seeing more and more demand for QWERTY phones: people prefer full keyboards, regardless of who won some dumb texting tournament. I can go and train myself to eat 50 hot dogs in a minute for a tournament, but that does not mean that's how people should eat.

I never argued the fact that the N96 is an impressive phone, only that it's overpriced and not ideal for MOST people when it comes to anything other than taking pictures or perhaps music. If I had to replace my iPhone with a Nokia, I would much rather have an E71 than an N96.
  • Reply 85 of 102
    It's safe to upgrade now if you have a jailbroken or unlocked iPhone

The iPhone Dev Team has patched their QuickPwn Tool to work firmware 2.0.2 you can now jailbreak and unlock 1rst gen and jailbreak 3G. Remember use at your own risk it's still beta!

Download QuickPwn GUI 1.2.0
  • Reply 86 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bryonbrock View Post

It's safe to upgrade now if you have a jailbroken or unlocked iPhone

The iPhone Dev Team has patched their QuickPwn Tool to work firmware 2.0.2 you can now jailbreak and unlock 1rst gen and jailbreak 3G. Remember use at your own risk it's still beta!

Download QuickPwn GUI 1.2.0

Note that it is only for Windows. The Pwnage Tool for OS X is not ready.
  • Reply 87 of 102
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

sapporobaby, I stated many times that I was talking about the US market in my post. I will not argue the fact that the price of an iPhone is more overseas, or that unlocked phones are more popular overseas as well. I am talking about in the United States, where I happen to live, where it is most relevant to me, and the iPhone most certainly is 300 dollars. I would pay the same monthly price with an N96 on AT&T as I am right now on my iPhone, so that price is a wash.

I can't remember who said it, but I agree, the US cell phone market is EXTREMELY behind the rest of the world, but the is not my fault, and I have to make my best decision with what is given to me, whether that includes a crappy service or not.

As far as T9 goes, yes, it is a good system for texting, but texting is not the end-all of messaging. When I need to type an email to my boss or my family, I am most certainly not using texting vocabulary such as u, r, lol, and the like. I am using proper English, and in that sense, T9 suddenly becomes much slower than a full keyboard. By your logic, we should be using T9 on our computer as well, since one person who was using it was the fastest texter. The fact is that most people are faster with a full keyboard rather than 12 buttons, and there's a reason you're seeing more and more demand for QWERTY phones: people prefer full keyboards, regardless of who won some dumb texting tournament. I can go and train myself to eat 50 hot dogs in a minute for a tournament, but that does not mean that's how people should eat.

I never argued the fact that the N96 is an impressive phone, only that it's overpriced and not ideal for MOST people when it comes to anything other than taking pictures or perhaps music. If I had to replace my iPhone with a Nokia, I would much rather have an E71 than an N96.

I do like the E71. I have an N82 and just can't really see getting one, but other than that, I agree with everything you said.
  • Reply 88 of 102
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeadBeat View Post

The 2.0.2 actually made my reception worse.

Whether the fault lies with Apple (Faulty Phone) or AT&T (Faulty network), THERE IS a big problem with the iPhone & reception!

I am now on my 3rd iPhone 3G in Los Angeles & the reception has been the same on all 3 phones ~ HORRIBLE!.

I don't care who's fault it is! All i know is somebody did not do there home work & released these prematurely!

Apple or AT&T or Both need to get there sh*t together & make this thing work! PERIOD!

I'm in the UK on O2 and my iPhone reception also got worse with this update, and it was absolutely terrible before. Now it drops off 3G completely very often, and even when it's on 3G it's usually on 1 bar and times out about 75% of the time when web browsing. On GPRS I get a 3 or 4 bar signal.

This all changes when I go outside, then the signal goes up to 3-5 bars of 3G and all is well, so I guess 3G signals are just absolutely useless at penetrating walls..
  • Reply 89 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

This all changes when I go outside, then the signal goes up to 3-5 bars of 3G and all is well, so I guess 3G signals are just absolutely useless at penetrating walls..

UMTS frequencies are not useless, but they are certainly less effective at penetration compared to the GSM frequencies being used.
  • Reply 90 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Read the friggin manual (p28-9). Amazing what you may find,

"iPhone has dictionaries for all supported languages. The appropriate dictionary is

activated automatically when you select a keyboard on iPhone. iPhone uses the active

dictionary to suggest corrections or complete the word you?re typing."

And it works as directed!

My keyboard has always been 'English (UK)' yet this still happens.
  • Reply 91 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

UMTS frequencies are not useless, but they are certainly less effective at penetration compared to the GSM frequencies being used.

Naturally enough, it depends on WHICH frequencies are being used for GSM and UMTS.

GSM in Europe uses 900 or 1800Mhz. UMTS uses 2100Mhz.

GSM 900 penetrates better than UMTS 2100. UMTS2100 needs many more cells to cover the same area as GSM900.

But it's not as simple as that. Different carriers put GSM and UMTS on different frequencies, and they're now using lower frequencies since they recently recognised that:

1) lower frequencies save carriers money, and

2) they can re-use (and share) GSM frequencies with UMTS

AT&T uses GSM on 850 & 1900Mhz (I think), as does their UMTS. So it depends on what particular frequency is available and chosen in your area - though I've heard somewhere that AT&T's 3G/UMTS is more often using 1900Mhz. I've also read reports that the iPhone on 850Mhz is behaving very well, it's just the 1900Mhz and 2100Mhz that is problematic.
  • Reply 92 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

Youch! Is it really that serious? If the iPhone manual says the dictionary is supposed to be tied to the selected keyboard language, but it isn't functioning properly, perhaps it's a bug that should be reported by those for whom it's an issue. I know it's a pain, but try resetting the settings on the phone to see if that clears it up.

I don't think that's Apple's position exactly. Apple's products are certainly designed to be very intuitive and user friendly (and the user guides are often not needed for many or most), but the Help system throughout Apple's product line tends to be thorough and easily accessible because not everything is clear to everyone.

I think Mac OS X (and perhaps to a lesser degree iPhone OS X) attunes a lot throughout the system based on the user-specified location, but you're right in that it could certainly be improved upon and streamlined further (e.g., base on language setting, ZIP or Postal Code, etc.).

The very origins of the English language peg it as a bastard tongue derived from multiple sources across Europe. Its strength, and difficulty for non-native English speakers, is its almost limitless versatility and flexibility by way of spelling, grammar, varied use of prepositions, and, most confusingly, regional/cultural idioms. British English is no better or worse than American English, or Australian or Canadian English for that matter. The notion of any one dialect of English as more "proper" or "correct" than another is simply ridiculous.

You had good points to make about the problematic language/dictionary feature of the iPhone, Walter. But the tone of your response hardly seemed called for or helpful.

Not to mention that the English language's commonality around the world has less to do now with the originators of the language, but with the 'bastardisers' of the language. If the USA didn't speak English, English would probably be on par with French or Italian.

Ah to live in a country where either spelling is acceptable as long as you are consistent. One of the reasons English is so popular is it's ability to adapt. Look at the English spoken in Singapore, it is certainly English in origins, but accepts words from Chinese dialects, Malay and Hindi. In Australia the English we speak here has words that mean nothing outside of Australia (some would say we have a rather colourful, or is that colorful, dialect).

English is an adaptable, almost organic language. Which makes it very difficult for non-native speakers to learn. You want a staid language where the originators get to say what is and what isn't in a language, try French, it defines what is proper French and what isn't, and sets standards.

Seriously there are many more problems with the regionalisation of the iphone than whether it puts an S or a Z. (Like all of those apps in the app store that provide local news, as long as it is from the United States). Oh and by the way I just tried it, within 3 repeats of "Customised" it accepted "Customised" over "Customized" and autocorrected to the S spelling.
  • Reply 93 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

But it's not as simple as that. Different carriers put GSM and UMTS on different frequencies, and they're now using lower frequencies since they recently recognised that:

1) lower frequencies save carriers money, and

2) they can re-use (and share) GSM frequencies with UMTS

AT&T uses GSM on 850 & 1900Mhz (I think), as does their UMTS. So it depends on what particular frequency is available and chosen in your area - though I've heard somewhere that AT&T's 3G/UMTS is more often using 1900Mhz. I've also read reports that the iPhone on 850Mhz is behaving very well, it's just the 1900Mhz and 2100Mhz that is problematic.

They do, and I'm certain that they use 1900MHz for UMTS which is put on the towers placed for GSM.

I wonder what E-UTRA will use. I wonder if they are going to use fewer worldwide frequencies for better worldwide support and lower frequencies. I can't find any info on this.
  • Reply 94 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flemsha View Post

Not to mention that the English language's commonality around the world has less to do now with the originators of the language, but with the 'bastardisers' of the language. If the USA didn't speak English, English would probably be on par with French or Italian.

English is such a great language. Technically we could say all evolution of a language from its root is a bastardisation of the former language. Thanks to the British conquest of the world followed by the American Independence their ability to become a world power English has thrived. Luckily it is such a versatile language, but sometimes I wonder if things would be easier if it was more stringent like Greek.

If things had happened just a little bit differently we could have been using sinographs for the basis for the internet. According to Bablefish this (万维网,苹果知情人,公司) is www.appleinsider.com in Simplified Chinese. Not that is would even follow that format.

Quote:

Ah to live in a country where either spelling is acceptable as long as you are consistent. One of the reasons English is so popular is it's ability to adapt. Look at the English spoken in Singapore, it is certainly English in origins, but accepts words from Chinese dialects, Malay and Hindi. In Australia the English we speak here has words that mean nothing outside of Australia (some would say we have a rather colourful, or is that colorful, dialect).

The short-lived Sci-Fi show Firefly had a probably use of language that was mostly a mix of Chinese and English. I think they used Chinese so they could swear on TV but that does seem the most likely outcome. The more people that speak a language the more likely they are to produce more offspring speaking that language. If they are a world power in a time where global communication is common this seems especially true.

While global communication helps to spread languages which can help diversify them, it also helps in some ways to keep the language intact, to a point. At some point a new language in new culture will mix with native languages and become something completely different. It's not longer a dialect but it's own language. It sure makes it tough in places but I find the whole idea of the linguistic evolution exciting.

Quote:

English is an adaptable, almost organic language. Which makes it very difficult for non-native speakers to learn. You want a staid language where the originators get to say what is and what isn't in a language, try French, it defines what is proper French and what isn't, and sets standards.

The French may be trying to preserve their tongue but it's an attempt to preserve it from the current state which is changing whether they like it or not.

One oddly resilient language is Basque in Southern France and Northern Spain. There is still no proof of a connection to any other living or dead Indo-European language. IMO, the best theory is that is was a dominant language in in Western Europe before the rise of Rome and was killed off by conquest of the Roman Empire. For the longest time the Basque people attributed their unique language to mean that they were the original Europeans but genetic testing has shown that they are just as interbreed as all the other Europeans.

Quote:

Seriously there are many more problems with the regionalisation of the iphone than whether it puts an S or a Z. (Like all of those apps in the app store that provide local news, as long as it is from the United States). Oh and by the way I just tried it, within 3 repeats of "Customised" it accepted "Customised" over "Customized" and autocorrected to the S spelling.

That is the first s/z word I'v seen that is not caught by the spell checker. I'm sure there are more, but it's odd that it is so inconsistent. As for the App Store, I'm sure the sale ratio has something to do with it but I would have expected other apps to be been available from day one for most countries.
  • Reply 95 of 102
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

The $299 is a subsidised price, the N96 price people are quoting is unsubsidised, you cannot compare them
  • Reply 96 of 102
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

The $299 is a subsidised price, the N96 price people are quoting is unsubsidised, you cannot compare them

Thanks for pointing this out. I never consider subsidized phones as I am used to paying full price.
  • Reply 97 of 102
    Update as posted in the other thread:

I'm in coastal LA (Venice) - supposedly blanketed with 3G coverage - and the phone spends maybe - (and I'm being generous) - 10% of its time on 3G. About 80% of the time it's on EDGE. The other 10% - I sh*t you not - it is on GPRS. (I only figured this out when I called support and asked the Apple rep what it meant when I had *neither* the 3G nor E icon.)

It's a "week 32" phone.

I've had 2.0.2 running since the update came out, hoping for some improvement. There has been none.
  • Reply 98 of 102
    I'm sorry, but how exactly do I choose Australian English in both Leopard and my iPhone? I set the iPhone keyboard to be British English (closer to Australian) but the spell checker still suggests American spellings...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

It does already. There are nearly 140 language settings to chose from. Cripes you even have a choice of English, British English, Australian English, Canadian English and U.S. English.

Obvious what's missing is Idiot's English.

• Reply 99 of 102
    He he this is funny. Actually, America has had a compulsion with doing almost everything it can different to UK...with the exception of the metric system...it has clung on to the old British system when the entire rest of the world has switched over...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

declare independence more than 200 years ago.. and the tension persists....

choose the region format in the box two below "language" and see if that helps

• Reply 100 of 102
    To a lot of people complaining about dropped signals, are you driving or on a train when this happens? The fact is 3G is a far more finicky network than 2G and typically covers shorter ranges with greater susceptibility to blocking and interference. I have seen a 3G network going from full strength to absent in as little as 1 km.