Orange Poland shops allegedly creating fake iPhone 3G queues

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Not content to wait for the enthusiastic fans that greeted some iPhone 3G launches, Orange Poland is said to be paying actors to sit in line and attract genuine customers.

The claim comes after Reuters discussed the upcoming Friday launch with an anonymous spokesman who isn't attributed to any one company but is implied to work for Orange's Polish branch.

"We have these fake queues at front of 20 stores around the country to drum up interest in the iPhone," the representative states.

It's not immediately evident what concerns might exist that would prompt a staged introduction, though the news organization speculates that the subscription cost of the iPhone might deter some customers.

Discovering the truth behind the claim, however, is difficult. Orange hasn't published its Polish iPhone 3G prices or rates, even the day before launch, and at press time redirects all visitors from its main company website to the generic iPhone page with a placeholder image.

Some of that dissatisfaction may be evident in the plans for Orange's Polish iPhone rival, Era. While its base plan at $43 per month is relatively affordable with 150 minutes of calls, 450 SMS messages, and 500MB of data, the next step up immediately boosts the price to $88 per month for 350 minutes, 1,050 messages, and 2GB of data; a premium customer would have to pay as much as $156 per month even while limited to 800 minutes of voice, 2,400 messages, and 5GB of Internet bandwidth.

Accordingly, Era's stores -- which don't appear to be following in Orange's footsteps -- are reported as free of lineups as of Thursday evening.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    <insensitive comment removed>
  • Reply 2 of 28
    phlakephlake Posts: 91member
    Well, actually, this ploy makes sense: Orange didn't want anyone to forget Poland.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While its base plan at $43 per month is relatively affordable with 150 minutes of calls, 450 SMS messages, and 500MB of data, the next step up immediately boosts the price to $88 per month for 350 minutes, 1,050 messages, and 2GB of data; a premium customer would have to pay as much as $156 per month even while limited to 800 minutes of voice, 2,400 messages, and 5GB of Internet bandwidth.

And people bitch about AT&T.... thank god they at least keep it simple....
  • Reply 4 of 28
    looking @ polish average wages these monthly rates are extemly HIGH!!!!
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Too bad it wasn't viable marketing techniques that invaded Poland in 1939.

not a good joke...
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

not a good joke...

You're right. I removed it.

Would it be better to ask, "How many Polish actors does it take to wait in a fake line for an iPhone?"?
  • Reply 7 of 28
    The fake queues are a fact. In some way they worked as Orange planned - they received some attention from the media and that's free advertising.

The prices of the plans are HIGH and aren't so attractive as people expected.

True Apple fans surely didn't wait all those months to buy the new gadget with 2-3 year contract. People who REALLY wanted and could afford an iPhone 3G probably already have it - bought in other countries, jailbreaked etc.

Orange's site is up and running again, it was down for a few minutes exactly at midnight.

iPhone's prices in Orange Poland were published on Wednesday. They can be found here:

- for private users: http://www.orange.pl/portal/map/map/...ONE_TARYFY_IND

- for business users: http://www.orange.pl/portal/map/map/...ONE_TARYFY_BIZ

1 Polish zloty = ~ 0.455 U.S. dollars (as for 2008-08-21)

The prices of the iPhone depend on the length of the contract (24 / 30 / 36 month). If you order on-line rather than in the shop, you will get a discount for the iPhone, receive extra minutes etc.

Oh, one more thing - when you read i.e. "150 minutes of calls, 450 SMS messages" in the main article, read it as "150 minutes of calls OR 450 SMS messages". You receive a set of minutes which are automatically transfered to SMS and MMS messages. If you send 3 SMS messages, you automatically have 1 free minute less etc. The same thing applies both to Era and Orange.

Cheers from Poland.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

You're right. I removed it.

Would it be better to ask, "How many Polish actors does it take to wait in a fake line for an iPhone?"?

Hmm.... racial jokes are passé. You could do better, Sol.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    That would be sweet if you were also an actual customer who was going to sit in line anyway.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomasztopa View Post

The fake queues are a fact.

Are they fake or are they a fact?
  • Reply 11 of 28
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    On the subject of lines-- In New York yesterday it has been reported that The Soho Alliance (community organization) had filed a formal complaint against Apple due to the continual lines at the Apple store stating that they are reminiscent of "the bread lines in Russia during the Cold War".

Apparently the neighborhood has formally declared war when the Jonas Brothers performed upstairs at the store and the store was besieged by screaming prepubescent girls all morning into night.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomasztopa View Post

The prices of the plans are HIGH and aren't so attractive as people expected.

True Apple fans surely didn't wait all those months to buy the new gadget with 2-3 year contract. People who REALLY wanted and could afford an iPhone 3G probably already have it - bought in other countries, jailbreaked etc.

1 Polish zloty = ~ 0.455 U.S. dollars (as for 2008-08-21)

Are those plans inline with other plans in Poland.

Here is a translated version of the page. Note that he prices need to be cut in half for the USD prices shown as Google Translate changes the zloty to the dollar but doesn't change the prices to reflect the exchange rate (hat would be cool if they did do that).
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Hmm.... racial jokes are passé. You could do better, Sol.

In my defence I did not mention religion or race, nor would I on that subject. However, I did change my original post as the association was pointed out to me by smokeonit.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meeksdigital View Post

And people bitch about AT&T.... thank god they at least keep it simple....

....with their dropped calls and all.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:

In my defence I did not mention religion or race, nor would I on that subject. However, I did change my original post as the association was pointed out to me by smokeonit.

Doesn't matter- nationalistic jokes are inappropriate- ask Borat.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

On the subject of lines-- In New York yesterday it has been reported that The Soho Alliance (community organization) had filed a formal complaint against Apple due to the continual lines at the Apple store stating that they are reminiscent of "the bread lines in Russia during the Cold War".

Apparently the neighborhood has formally declared war when the Jonas Brothers performed upstairs at the store and the store was besieged by screaming prepubescent girls all morning into night.

Really?

That would be enough for me as well.

The weekly or so concerts are really a bit much for the otherwise quiet street.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josa92 View Post

Really?

That would be enough for me as well.

The weekly or so concerts are really a bit much for the otherwise quiet street.

How I miss the sublime serenity of Prince Street on a Sunday afternoon.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    It all comes out in the wash, doesn't it? Those aren't actors -- they're government operatives stockpiling iPhones for use in our new missile defense system. Chuck a gaggle of those babies at an ICBM and watch the fireworks.

...that's about all an iPhone is worth running the current 3G chipset driver.

*whew* Felt good getting that off my chest.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:

Not content to wait for the enthusiastic fans that greeted some iPhone 3G launches, Orange Poland is said to be paying actors to sit in line and attract genuine customers.

"We have these fake queues at front of 20 stores around the country to drum up interest in the iPhone," the representative states.

Accordingly, Era's stores -- which don't appear to be following in Orange's footsteps -- are reported as free of lineups as of Thursday evening..

I WANT IPHONES IN MOBISTAR STORES (that would be Orange in Belgium) INSTEAD OF FAKE QUEUES IN POLAND.

Does Orange really want to pi$% off their premium customers (or potentials) ?
  • Reply 19 of 28
    ezzyezzy Posts: 1member
    I went to the Apple store in Newport Beach, CA, yesterday to buy my son the new iPhone for his birthday. I was THIRD in line. It took them ONE HOUR to get to me. By the time they did, there were 2 other people behind me. Unlike Orange Poland, Apple has figured out how to maintain a line and not pay any one a dime. I am still angry about it. Apple, if you're trying to really P.O. your customers, you are doing a fine job. Consider me pissed.

-From a 15 year Apple fan. Now EX-Apple fan. I only hope the press picks up on this B.S.

Quote:

Not content to wait for the enthusiastic fans that greeted some iPhone 3G launches, Orange Poland is said to be payingOr actors to sit in line and attract genuine customers.

The claim comes after Reuters discussed the upcoming Friday launch with an anonymous spokesman who isn't attributed to any one company but is implied to work for Orange's Polish branch.

It's not immediately evident what concerns might exist that would prompt a staged introduction, though the news organization speculates that the subscription cost of the iPhone might deter some customers.

Discovering the truth behind the claim, however, is difficult. Orange hasn't published its Polish iPhone 3G prices or rates, even the day before launch, and at press time redirects all visitors from its main company website to the generic iPhone page with a placeholder image.

Some of that dissatisfaction may be evident in the plans for Orange's Polish iPhone rival, Era. While its base plan at $43 per month is relatively affordable with 150 minutes of calls, 450 SMS messages, and 500MB of data, the next step up immediately boosts the price to $88 per month for 350 minutes, 1,050 messages, and 2GB of data; a premium customer would have to pay as much as $156 per month even while limited to 800 minutes of voice, 2,400 messages, and 5GB of Internet bandwidth.

Accordingly, Era's stores -- which don't appear to be following in Orange's footsteps -- are reported as free of lineups as of Thursday evening.

• Reply 20 of 28
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Fascinating discussion of Google translation has been split off to http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=90257