Microsoft taps Seinfeld to help battle Apple in new ad campaign

Comments

• Reply 121 of 145
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

For a short time, there was a PC on the desk. The Macs featured on the show was an SE, PowerBook Duo (in the Dock) and a TAM.

Not that it matters that much, but you're wrong about this. I have all 9 seasons on DVD and watched them quite recently and Jerry never had a PC (as in non-Mac) on his desk, I'm sure about that, I would've noticed. George on the other hand had a PC on his desk for quite a while.
  • Reply 122 of 145
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Not that it matters that much, but you're wrong about this. I have all 9 seasons on DVD and watched them quite recently and Jerry never had a PC (as in non-Mac) on his desk, I'm sure about that, I would've noticed. George on the other hand had a PC on his desk for quite a while.

Backing up your statement, according to IMDb's trivia section...

Quote:

• Although Jerry uses a Apple computers/ Mac through out the series, he has various IBM-PC Microsoft office products (Word, Excel, MS windows) on his desk next to his computer

• Reply 123 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Backing up your statement, according to IMDb's trivia section...

He must have had access to a really early beta of Bootcamp
  • Reply 124 of 145
    Am I the only one thinking of The Simpsons Movie?

Tom Hanks: "The U.S. Government has lost all credibility, so they've hired me to borrow some of mine."

Or something like that.

Seems that way with Microsoft and Seinfeld here. My question, why not Tom Hanks?
  • Reply 125 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

Does this mean that, for enough money, Seinfeld would leave Superman for Iron Man?

This analogy's reversed. See, Iron Man is the new cool, whereas Superman is a has-been. So Seinfeld would have to be leaving Wishta for OSX, not the way it is now.
  • Reply 126 of 145
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flemsha View Post

He must have had access to a really early beta of Bootcamp

Virtual PC babe. That was the kid in town back then. Barfff.

But... but... what is the relevance between what was in a TV set show vs what he uses real life? Do we know what he uses in real life? Are we a bit bored?
  • Reply 127 of 145
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    I hope Apple comes up with counter ads to this one -- two hackers discussing hacking into Vista and MacOS - the Mac hacker is totally down and depressed because he cant break into Mac OS - the Vista hacker tells him to switch to Vista -- it has lots of Windows and no Walls! Lots of openings here!

Seriously - when it comes to Vista, a statement like "Windows, Not Walls" - implies just one thing -- lots of holes in the OS, and nothing to protect you from viruses, spyware, etc!
  • Reply 128 of 145
    Apple critics frequently tell us that Apple has average engineering and only excels because of first rate marketing. I disagree. I maintain that Apple's marketing is first-rate, but their engineering is equal or better.

But what about Microsoft? Their engineering's bad, we all know that. But is their marketing worse?
  • Reply 129 of 145
    Seriously, though, if this ad agency is really the one that came up with that plastic-headed hobgoblin on the Burger King commercials...well, that's the creepiest damn thing I've ever seen in my life! But if that's their idea of emulating the hilarious Jack-in-the-Box commercials, and Aero is Microsoft's idea of copying Aqua, then I guess they were made for each other.
  • Reply 130 of 145
    "In the competition between PCs and Macs, we outsell Apple 30-to-1. But there is no doubt that Apple is thriving," Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer wrote in the email to employees last month. "Why? Because they are good at providing an experience that is narrow but complete, while our commitment to choice often comes with some compromises to the end-to-end experience."

In communication, if you remove everything in front of the word "but", you have the message. In this case, Balmer says: Apple provides a complete experience while we compromise the end-to-end experience.

If you remove all nuance, Balmer says:

Apple provides complete user experience while we compromise user experience.
  • Reply 131 of 145
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Please give me an example of Apple "playing up the image of being the great benevolent corporate identity".

That would be Google.
  • Reply 132 of 145
    Quote:

The ads will use some variation of the slogan "Windows, Not Walls," according to the report, and "stress breaking down barriers that prevent people and ideas from connecting."

Barriers? You mean like WGA and PlaysForSure?
  • Reply 133 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"the brainchild of Crispin Porter + Bogusky, a Miami-based ad shop that has helped revitalize brands such as Burger King."

Burger King has been revitalized?!?
  • Reply 134 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wraithofwonder View Post

Tom Hanks: "The U.S. Government has lost all credibility, so they've hired me to borrow some of mine."

Or something like that.

Seems that way with Microsoft and Seinfeld here. My question, why not Tom Hanks?

I was watching it last night and that's exactly what I was thinking.

(not that there's anything wrong with that....)
  • Reply 135 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Reminds me of that Jeep commercial from a few years back (okay maybe a lot of years back)...

Scene top of a mountain with several business types pitching an AD to some car company... "Imagine as the camera pans across this beautiful horizon and stops to focus in on your SUV stilling atop this very majestic mountain plateau."

They all sigh a deep sigh...

One exec says yea but HOW are we going to get the SUVs up here? paused response Helicopter! Where everyone says excellent, excellent....

The AD ends where they all drive down from the mountain plateau in Jeeps....

Dave

I loved that Jeep commercial.

The BK ads being discussed are fairly lame though compared to the odd "King" ones (that freak out my wife). As far as bringing the company back.... most of the BK's in my area disappeared a few years ago and haven't come back.
  • Reply 136 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wraithofwonder View Post

Or something like that.

What, stuck on a deserted island with a laptop displaying the blue screen of death?
  • Reply 137 of 145
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    I heard that Art Vandelay will be doing Windows ads, too.
  • Reply 138 of 145
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    I'll reserve judgement on the ad until I see it, but they need to do something new to make any marketing change. Apple may or may not have a heavy hand in its advertising, but I'm sure Jobs makes pitch meetings scary enough for Chiat/Day to pull out its A-game.

I think what we're going to seeing is the same thing that Microsoft does to tarnish its image again and again: do what others did, and do it about as well. Thus with no originality or technical advantage, they look like they're coming in behind the times.

They're putting a relatable human face on the program, but instead of picking relative unknowns to create something that most computer companies would never think of, they seem to be banking on the actor himself - an easy grab. They could do it right, HP was able to out its own spin on the celebrity endorsement thing really well, with a tinge of mystery, real cool, and showing off the abilities computers can do. Some of the things they showed off were more software than hardware, but like the Get a Mac ads, it gets the point across.

The Gwen Stefani ad was pretty bad though. "People think you can just turn creativity on and off, but it's not like that." may be the music world's equivalent of "The internet is not a big truck."
  • Reply 139 of 145
    On August 16, 2004 John C. Dvorak wrote an article titled "The Bottom 10: Worst Software Disasters". A Vista commercial was running next to the article, WOW.

Note Disaster numbers 1, 2,6, 7 and 10 (all relating to MS).

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1636333,00.asp

I don't think MS will be getting anyone with the name of BOB doing any Vista ads.
  • Reply 140 of 145
    No need to be concerned Mac fans. Steve Ballmer and Microsoft still just don't get it. A comedian cannot hide the fact that Windows is a poor user experience.

There is a reason that the Macintosh OS growth is THREE TIMES the pc industry (Windows) average. It is because Apple puts the user first and strives to make the computer experience as positive as possible.

Microsoft doesn't know how to do that. They continue to design software in ways that are advantageous for them but put the burden on the user. Take those great "security" features in XP and Vista as just one example. How about all those Corporate IT departments that have banned Vista because of all the infrastructural changes it needs? And don't we all just want to rush out spend $600 for "fully featured" Vista instead of $129 for a rock solid OS X user experience? And just try to install Vista on your existing pc. Not to worry - Microsoft is not a leader - they are bumbling followers.

The Ads are a bad decision on Seinfeld's part - it is really going to hurt his reputation.

I haven't seen the Ads yet but I'm laughing already.

Joe