Google Conversion of Zloty To Dollar

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Here is a translated version of the page. Note that he prices need to be cut in half for the USD prices shown as Google Translate changes the zloty to the dollar but doesn't change the prices to reflect the exchange rate (hat would be cool if they did do that).

Which dollar would it convert to?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Which dollar would it convert to?

I have no idea what you're asking or how it relates to my post.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

I have no idea what you're asking or how it relates to my post.

Try reading your post. You said you provided a link to a google translation of the Polish page in which google translation changed the Polish word for dollar, to dollar. Then made the comment that it hadn't changed it to US$, and wouldn't it be good if it would.

I said, if you would automate this, what dollar would you change it to?

American Dollar

East Caribbean Dollar

Australian Dollar

Singapore Dollar

Canadian Dollar

New Zealand Dollar

etc etc
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:

Then made the comment that it hadn't changed it to US$, and wouldn't it be good if it would.

I never said that. I said the prices didn't change to reflect the exchange rate.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

I never said that. I said the prices didn't change to reflect the exchange rate.

Didn't you?

Quote:

Here is a translated version of the page. Note that he prices need to be cut in half for the USD prices shown as Google Translate changes the zloty to the dollar but doesn't change the prices to reflect the exchange rate (hat would be cool if they did do that).

• Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Didn't you?

You can't possibly be this thick!

Zloty and the dollar are represented by symbols denoting the currency type.

The values next to them is a number denoting the amount.

These numbers are not altered by Google Translate.

So what was 150 Zloty is translated into 150 dollars.

This means, as stated several times now, that Google didn't change the prices to reflect the exchange rate.

This is because their is not a 1:1 ratio between the zloty and dollar.

If you check the link to the page you can toggle between Polish and English. The text will vary, but the numbers stay the same.

Hence, I noted it so people don't think the monthly fee is $150 for the cheapest package. When in fact it's a little under $75.

JFC!!!

PS: The thing you'll came ignorance about is why I would think Google could possibly account for the exchange rate of some numbers on the page.

Again, if you had bothered to look at the supplied link you could easily see the dollar symbol is placed to the left of the price but the aloty is placed to the right of the price.

This means that Google Translate is aware of the placement so it must regard this numerical value as the price.

Therefore, it could account for the exchange rate without altering all the numbers on the page.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

You can't possibly be this thick!

Zloty and the dollar are represented by symbols denoting the currency type.

The values next to them is a number denoting the amount.

These numbers are not altered by Google Translate.

So what was 150 Zloty is translated into 150 dollars.

This means, as stated several times now, that Google didn't change the prices to reflect the exchange rate.

This is because their is not a 1:1 ratio between the zloty and dollar.

If you check the link to the page you can toggle between Polish and English. The text will vary, but the numbers stay the same.

Hence, I noted it so people don't think the monthly fee is $150 for the cheapest package. When in fact it's a little under $75.

JFC!!!

You said it would be cool if if converted the currency as well.

To what currency!??!?!!?!? There are multiple countries using the dollar as their currency.

I simply asked how would it know how to do that? That is all. No need to start packing a sad about it. I even quoted (and emphasised) your section saying "(hat would be cool if they did do that)." (your spelling mistake included!

Maybe you should get off your high horse.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

To what currency!??!?!!?!? There are multiple countries using the dollar as their currency.

Seriously, Dude! How about just a little critical thinking here. What nation's dollar do you think it would use if your Google browser local domain was set to google.com.au? How about if it was google.ca?

Your next question will undoubtedly be: "But what if you what if you wan to see about a different country?" How about a preference pane in the header that allows to choose the appropriate option or turn it off altogether.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Seriously, Dude! How about just a little critical thinking here. What nation's dollar do you think it would use if your Google browser local domain was set to google.com.au? How about if it was google.ca?

Your next question will undoubtedly be: "But what if you what if you wan to see about a different country?" How about a preference pane in the header that allows to choose the appropriate option or turn it off altogether.

You ask me to do a little critical thinking, when you have spent the last several posts arguing that you didn't say something that you did say?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

You ask me to do a little critical thinking, when you have spent the last several posts arguing that you didn't say something that you did say?

If you would have simply used a combination of words in a sentence that stated that you mean the various exchange rates of countries that use the dollar I would have known what you meant. Instead you make no mention of various exchange rates and further convolute the topic by referring to the zolty as Poland's dollar. Informally speaking, that is fine for language comparison (eg: What's a groszy? It's Poland's penny.) but does nothing to answer a question that should have been obvious to you from the start.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

If you would have simply used a combination of words in a sentence that stated that you mean the various exchange rates of countries that use the dollar I would have known what you meant. Instead you make no mention of various exchange rates and further convolute the topic by referring to the zolty as Poland's dollar. Informally speaking, that is fine for language comparison (eg: What's a groszy? It's Poland's penny.) but does nothing to answer a question that should have been obvious to you from the start.

And you have the nerve to call me thick?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:

And you have the nerve to call me thick?

Hey calm down guys!! Dear jfanning, solipsism is well know here for years as one of the most reasonable and intelligent posters on this blog, initial post* on this subject aside . I think you should both shake hands and make up.

*My joke about the initial post now relates to the original post prior to this group of threads being given their own special place.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    when everyone else in line for an iPhone is holding a skull and saying, "Alas, Poor Yorick, I knew him, Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy. He hath bore me on his back a thousand times, and now how abhorr'd in my imagination it is! My gorge rises at it."

Plus, they are all wearing aprons from Applebee's.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

You said it would be cool if if converted the currency as well.

Google should not have converted the currency units (zl to $) when translating the page. Adding a link to a currency converter page should have been enough...