What the word on the next iPod Touch?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Greetings Apple fiends,

I have been scouring the world wide web in search of even an iota of relevant information regarding the next generation of the iPod Touch. Sadly\, I have come up empty handed.

The only sprinkle of a tease that I was able to come across recently is that Apple has been advising its exclusive worldwide retailers to swiftly order in bulk. The buzz around town has suggested, if history does repeat itself, that this is a hint at the eventual mid September release of a new line of iPods.

That is all I was able to find, and to be quite blunt, its annoying! I was wondering if any of you out there have been more lucky than I and have found (or heard) any thing else concerning the new line of iPods that are hopefully coming in the fall.

Please share!

Best regards,

The Jewish Apple Freak

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    velixvelix Posts: 1member

?
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Looks like a nano version of the iPod touch? Any other info? I mean, I was looking for info concerning the 2nd generation of iPod touch and I don't mean software udpates!
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jewishapplefreak View Post

Looks like a nano version of the iPod touch? Any other info? I mean, I was looking for info concerning the 2nd generation of iPod touch and I don't mean software udpates!

There isn't any information yet. I'm not even aware of Apple telling retailers to stock up on iPods. I thought the "stock up now" warning was just on MacBooks and MacBook Pros. Velix's pictures, while interesting, aren't in any way official.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:

I thought the "stock up now" warning was just on MacBooks and MacBook Pros

I have read it in numerous places.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    There is no information. There are only mockups and speculation by people who don't know anything.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    While not much has been heard on the rumor mill we do have some interesting comments from Apple to consider. One of those comment is that PA Semi was purchased to design chips for the iPod line. Now that may be the reality distortion field at work but it does provide fuel for the speculation fires.

So what is PA going to do for us? Let's imagine a System on Chip (SOC) of advance design and high integration. Depending on the process chosen they could have a huge amount of space to implement a iPod on. I could see them rolling in the video chip, the touch screen processor, the Cpu/Gpu, a codec, I/O and possibly even RAM onto the chip. The only thing left external would be analog circuits and flash. This would lead to lower power and more compact iPod motherboards or it would provide for more room for addional functionality.

Oh by the way I realize that the process used to make RAM is not optimal for CPUs and vis-a-versa. At this point it really doesn't matter as long as the resultant product is economical. So let's say that Apple produces a SOC built on a 45nm process with room for 128 megs of RAM and their coustom processor complex not bad you might say. Pushing it somewhat you might think but remember the ARM core is very small and both Apple and PA Semi have a long history with ARM. One could very well open a future iPod Touch or IPhone and only see a chip or two beyond the flash.

In any event I'm expecting more in the way of physical sizes too. A Touch Nano is a given. I'm also hoping for a larger machine as I have an iPhone but find it a tad small. I'm also hoping that this high integration leads to more ports. I don't want Apple to over do the ports either but a USB port to hook up flash card readers would be very nice indeed.

Lastly I do hope that Apple gets it together with respect to the OS and software in general on these devices. There are simply to many bugs in iPhone 3G.

Dave
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Whatever PA is up to, I don't think it's likely to come to fruition in just a matter of months. I'm doubtful they have much to do with the new stuff coming out in Sept.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    I, personally, do not think the Touch Nano is going to happen. Why?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=89566

If Apple's getting rid of the 'fatboy' look on the nanos, why would they implement it on the Touches? Unless the Touch Nano follows the same form factor as the new nano...

Plus I just think it sounds stupid. iPod Touch Nano. Too much. Apple keeps it simple. Two words or less. :P
  • Reply 9 of 22
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xTxRxAxVxIxSx View Post

Plus I just think it sounds stupid. iPod Touch Nano. Too much. Apple keeps it simple. Two words or less. :P

If that's the biggest problem, they could just call it iPod nantouch or iPod touchano!
  • Reply 10 of 22
    dalemdalem Posts: 3member
    Aluminium, all the way!

• Reply 11 of 22
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Oooh, they're cute!

Ideas for two new nanos? The new iPod nano and the iPod nano mini?

Not sure we would see Safari running on the new nano though - unless it gets the same 320x480 res as the current iPod touch. With the onscreen keyboard there's barely enough room now. Imagine even less pixels...

But seeing that the current nano has a 200dpi screen and people are OK with it, a 200dpi 320x480 screen would be possible.

A nano like that would roughly be business card size - and fit into your wallet.

Imagine a wifi web browser in your wallet? Plus email, plus iPod plus iTunes plus Appstore.

Not bad!
  • Reply 12 of 22
    dalemdalem Posts: 3member
    Glad you like them :]

I thought maybe if the nano had to exclude WiFi to keep the costs down, AppStore applications could still be used on the device after a sync with iTunes, as i'm sure Apple wants as many people buying its little Apps as possible! A "premium" nano, though, with a bigger screen and WiFi, Blutooth etc could replace the niche iPod classic as a midrange iPod with bigger storage capacities?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member

Here is a wild thought: What if . . . the new iPod Touch had a microphone?

From what I understand, the iPod Touch has WiFi and can already connect to the internet in a WiFi hot spot. Add a microphone and it could make calls via VoIP.

If someone is frequently at hot spots, an iPod Touch like this would be a cheap mobile phone -- not free, but very reasonable. Vonage has a WiFi phone already if I?m not mistaken. If Apple were to put a WiFi phone in the Touch, I?m sure arrangements are all ready made with the VoIP providers.

Anyway, I don?t really know much about this business. I?s a wild thought, as I said at the beginning. Any comments?

Jerry
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

Here is a wild thought: What if . . . the new iPod Touch had a microphone?

From what I understand, the iPod Touch has WiFi and can already connect to the internet in a WiFi hot spot. Add a microphone and it could make calls via VoIP.

If someone is frequently at hot spots, an iPod Touch like this would be a cheap mobile phone -- not free, but very reasonable. Vonage has a WiFi phone already if I?m not mistaken. If Apple were to put a WiFi phone in the Touch, I?m sure arrangements are all ready made with the VoIP providers.

Anyway, I don?t really know much about this business. I?s a wild thought, as I said at the beginning. Any comments?

Jerry

This idea was dreamt up the minute the ipod touch was announced to have wifi. Here's why it will never have a microphone: Apple+AT&T=money.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Go Banana View Post

This idea was dreamt up the minute the ipod touch was announced to have wifi. Here's why it will never have a microphone: Apple+AT&T=money.

Here's another reason it won't happen.

There already make a Touch with a microphone.

It's called the iPhone.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Go Banana View Post

Thanks, it's good to know there are bright thinkers on the forum who had the idea before I. It's regrettable if the iPod Touch never becomes a WiFi phone someday. It really shouldn't take sales away from the iPhone. Those who want or need an iPhone would never put up with having to find a hot spot to call.

• Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

Here's another reason it won't happen.

There already make a Touch with a microphone.

It's called the iPhone.

The iPhone, without a monthly contract, would be more than twice the price of an iPod Touch.

• Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

The iPhone, without a monthly contract, would be more than twice the price of an iPod Touch.

Exactly.

That's why Apple won't do it.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

Exactly.

That's why Apple won't do it.

It would surely sell more Touch iPods, and that is a good reason to do it.

Cannibalizing iPhone sale would be a reason not to do it. Maybe you should refute my claim that the Touch would not take sales from the iPhone.

• Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Go Banana

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I make VOIP calls all the time with my iPod. I just can't receive any.

I purchased a mic that was designed for the iPod. It plugs into the charger port.

- The Jewish Apple Freak