Apple investigating iTunes block in China

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

She was not that unattractive...

So now you admit that she wasn't unattractive? Yet you still defend this choice? I suppose performance enhancing drugs should be used so long as it ads to the entertainment value. All this goes against the entire spirit of the Olympics.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    zeasarzeasar Posts: 91member
    I consider the users of this forum are mature, educated and reasonable people, hence we choose Mac over PeeCee.

But seriously, how many of you Chinese/Chinese government haters have been to China? Friends with someone FROM China? Actually knows about Chinese/Asia history and politics?

(and no, visiting China on google earth and chatting to someone online who pretends to be an Asian jailbait dont count.)

No wonder micro$oft is spending millions in advert re-dressing Vista, people are actually too lazy to investigate the crap they are shoving down our throats.

• Reply 43 of 55
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DonSqueak View Post

There's racism, and there's criticism of government politics. I feel most of what is addressed here relates to the latter.

Apart from that, I guess the idiot-decent person ratio is about the same anywhere in the world.

I really don't get the racism accusation anyway. I certainly wouldn't want to be the the one charging racism when the target of the "racism" complaint isn't about race at all. When it comes down to it, it just looks like a lame attempt to shut down the discussion.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevorlsciact View Post

I hate how china is considered communist when there economy is no longer so :-/ why not just call them totalitarian???

Probably just the legacy more than anything else.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

As for human rights violations, I don't think that is an issue here because of the age as these Olympic gymnasts start is very young and they work so very hard at it that it all seems like a violation of, at least, childhood in some way. The only issue here would be cheating, but as stated if you open that up then you have to open it all up.

Don't they start at early childhood anyway? When they start legally competing has little bearing on when they start the training.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

You think the black tutrleneck is a stylistic choice? No. It is the piece of his magical awesome fkkking ninja uniform he allows you to see, to remind you that if he is ever displeased, he can fire you from reality in an instant.

Actually, the turtleneck is hiding another fist.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

If that doesn't work, Steve Jobs will personally go over there and begin kicking the shit out of each and every last one of those 1.6 billion red-chinese commies with his bare hands, using at various different times, as needed, Jobs-Fu, The Way of the Woz, and the Iron BAM! techniques.

You think the black tutrleneck is a stylistic choice? No. It is the piece of his magical awesome fkkking ninja uniform he allows you to see, to remind you that if he is ever displeased, he can fire you from reality in an instant.

Steve Jobs can kill you with a single look.

China has no chance.

Weep for them.

They know not the pain they are about to inflict upon themselves.

[CENTER] [/CENTER]
  • Reply 46 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Don't they start at early childhood anyway? When they start legally competing has little bearing on when they start the training.

That is what I'm saying. The only issue I see with the Chinese gymnasts is in the potential Olympic rule violation, not any human rights issues because they are actually competing.

Back on topic...

What are the feeling about China blocking iTunes?
  • Reply 47 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Back on topic...

What are the feeling about China blocking iTunes?

Over one album? I'd call that overkill. Not that I like censorship, but I'd think they'd be less obvious about it if they were smart about it. Demand that the album in question be withdrawn silently and no one has to know. But maybe that round already passed and whoever that ran iTunes China refused.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

what will Apple do? Send a letter to the Chinese governement (sic) stronly (sic) protesting? Request a UN Resolution? Pull out of the Chinese market? Increase the cost of their products so the "common man" can no longer afford?

This story comes on the heels of reports that Apple will manufacture 45 million iPhones. 100% of them in China.

Seems to me that Apple very much could threaten to have those phones made elsewhere (once currently signed contracts expire of course.) They could, for example, move their manufacturing to Taiwan. That would really make Chinese officials sit up & take notice. You don't think they'd consider it? Yes, iPhones manufactured outside of China would cost more, but it's not like they'd double in price or anything; they'd certainly not get priced too high for the "common man".

It should not be ignored that Apple is losing serious money by having iTunes Music Store suddenly unavailable to 1.3 billion people. Probably more than they'd have to pay to move iPhone manufacturing. So it seems to me that Steve Jobs really will be paying attention to whether iTMS becomes available again once the Olympics end. If not, some serious decisions are going to have to be made.
  • Reply 49 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

This story comes on the heels of reports that Apple will manufacture 45 million iPhones. 100% of them in China.

Seems to me that Apple very much could threaten to have those phones made elsewhere (once currently signed contracts expire of course.) They could, for example, move their manufacturing to Taiwan. That would really make Chinese officials sit up & take notice. You don't think they'd consider it? Yes, iPhones manufactured outside of China would cost more, but it's not like they'd double in price or anything; they'd certainly not get priced too high for the "common man".

It should not be ignored that Apple is losing serious money by having iTunes Music Store suddenly unavailable to 1.3 billion people. Probably more than they'd have to pay to move iPhone manufacturing. So it seems to me that Steve Jobs really will be paying attention to whether iTMS becomes available again once the Olympics end. If not, some serious decisions are going to have to be made.

You guys don't obviously get it, we are now talking about such a wast inner markets, that some foreigner companies don't mean a thing. As is US such a big inner market, that Apple barely bothered to move outside from it with the first gen iPhone, or with actually most of their products. As is China such a huge inner market(many times US), and they have enough of their own brands to saturate their markets, that do you really think that they would even give it another thought if Apple complained about their politics?
  • Reply 50 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Project2501 View Post

You guys don't obviously get it, we are now talking about such a wast inner markets, that some foreigner companies don't mean a thing. As is US such a big inner market, that Apple barely bothered to move outside from it with the first gen iPhone, or with actually most of their products. As is China such a huge inner market(many times US), and they have enough of their own brands to saturate their markets, that do you really think that they would even give it another thought if Apple complained about their politics?

ktappe was talking about moving the manufacture of the phones out of China, not the sales of them in same country.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

ktappe was talking about moving the manufacture of the phones out of China, not the sales of them in same country.

No matter What he was talking about, it doesn't matter, Apple moving out of China deosn't matter a thing, because they are at least as self absorbent as US is, they think that they don't need anybody else, and being the worlds largest country and economy they are rightly so.
  • Reply 52 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Project2501 View Post

No matter What he was talking about, it doesn't matter, Apple moving out of China deosn't matter a thing, because they are at least as self absorbent as US is, they think that they don't need anybody else, and being the worlds largest country and economy they are rightly so.

Their GDP is 4th behind the US, Nippon and Deutschland with about a 1/4 of the US' GDP.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    I did some tests when I was in China.

e.g. If you type anything related to "falun gong" in, you get connection reset by peer:

I was able to get the wikipedia list of banned words partially downloaded using a web content reformatter, then all subsequent accesses to that page were blocked.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    This is bad news and a taster for the world to come. I cant stand the chinese government.
  • Reply 55 of 55
    A special online iPod store you can trust, we provide the best original

Apple iPod products with a favourable price lower by 20%-50% than any

other Apple or eBay retail stores around the world. We have unbeatable

after sale service and fast delivery. 80% of the eBay sellers dealing in

iPod accessories are provided by us.

Our products include: iPod player and iPod Touch\\iPod 5G/Video\\iPod

Classic\\iPod nano\\iPod Minihousing、screen and other accessories .

All our iPod products are 100% Genuine & Original Apple made!

Our store: www.itopstore.com

Welcome to my store!

Hot Line: +86-539-8109185

MSN: [email protected]

Email: [email protected]

Vip Service Email: vip