the great split of AppleInsider/AppleNova

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Hi,

sometimes when old threads are bumped, I recognize names from the AppleNova board like Brad or pscates.

As my current understanding is, that somewhere some years ago a split occurred, and some members went away from AI and created AN.

There was a long thread (I currently can't find), not really explaining it, but words like betrayal and so were flung around, but no specific reason.

So, why did the split occur?

Can anyone enlighten me by telling me, or giving me a link to a thread explaining it?

Thanks in advance and good day.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Had something to do with proper grammar.

Now I can't remember if this is the proper grammar site or AN is be its?
  • Reply 2 of 19
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post

Because there wasn't enough drama on the internet that day.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 709 View Post

Because there wasn't enough drama on the internet that day.

Certainly.

It wasn't reversible, however, because the owner of these forums blew a gasket and started screwing up certain people's accounts (mine, for instance)...

But whatever, each place has its demerits.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post

Slavery.

Most of the posters didn't actually own slaves, but the cheap labor from the institution was integral to their way of life.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Slavery.

Most of the posters didn't actually own slaves, but the cheap labor from the institution was integral to their way of life.

I beg to differ... it was about control and the fundamentals of a forum system. was each sub-forum an entity unto itself with a limited association to the body at large? or was there something more substantial connecting the subforums?

hmm...
  • Reply 6 of 19
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    There were a few whiney bitches that thought it would be fun to start their own forum. The rest of the whiney bitches, plus one or two decent folks, followed.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Slavery.

Made my day.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    I was just an ocasional lurker back in the day, but this thread may be one of the ones you had seen.

link

Might be an interesting read for those who want to peek in on some of the drama of the olden days...
  • Reply 9 of 19
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    ZOG conspiracy

true story
  • Reply 10 of 19
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Look here - lots to see and to sort through.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cake View Post

Look here - lots to see and to sort through.

I actually went over there after seeing this thread and saw a lot of old familiar names. I always felt the split was too bad. Neither place seems as vibrant as when it was one.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    AN should add a moderated PO section.

I understand that most of the management are adamantly opposed to anything but the occasional talk of religion and politics (and even those threads have very short shelf-lives before invariably getting locked). But if they added a PO section, I think you would see a greater merging of the two communities. Call it inter-league play, if you will.

Granted, an AN PO still wouldn't be any fun if the moderators had itchy trigger-fingers for locking threads...
  • Reply 13 of 19
    I just don't understand why they can have an ongoing thread about someone's poo yet can't discuss politics...
  • Reply 14 of 19
    There are plenty of places on the 'net to discuss politics - it's done very well here, but it's not handled well at all on most sites that I visit and discussions quickly descend into Left vs Right noise.

For me, AN is a friendly neighborhood. It's a smaller community of people than AI and, I think, most of us over there like it like that.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

AN should add a moderated PO section.

Yeah, that seems to be working out pretty well here lately.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

I just don't understand why they can have an ongoing thread about someone's poo yet can't discuss politics...

And I don't understand how you can discuss so many things political without once mentioning poo.

Seriously though, I hate what's going on over in PO right now. Even though I don't post in there it's a part of my daily internet read, and lately it's been a fucked up mess. My worst fear is that people like groverat, Artman, adda, midwinter, etc., etc., just decide to say "Fuck It" and leave altogether. That would truly be a shame, because people like them are the only reason I read this place everyday. The way it's going now I fully expect within 2 months PO is going to be a sub-forum dedicated to wingers pulling each other's cocks.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Hear, hear. The PO is one of the reasons I stepped down here as mod - I got tired of the feces flinging. If I wanted to deal with that, I'd get a job as cage cleaner at the primate house at a zoo... it'd probably be more satisfying, and the conversation would undoubtedly be of a higher caliber.

You can throw crap around just about anywhere on the net. AN is a nice respite from that.

I come here for the rumors and the tech discussion, and that's it. (I still can't understand why the PO is considered necessary on a Mac site, to be honest, other than as a magnet for eyeballs. Might as well have a tech diagnosing room on a political forum.) This is my gossip corner... too bad it's right next to a sleazy neighborhood.

I go to AN for the community. It's my local watering hole. Politics may come up, but if it gets unfriendly, it's stopped. Sometimes it gets almost like *gasp* rational discourse.

Two different sites, two different feels, two different functions. That's why there was a split in the first place.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I haven't checked in on PO in awhile. I'll have to see what the fuss is about. I used to read and post there more than anywhere on the site, but my taste for politics has been diluted in the last couple of years.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Two different sites, two different feels, two different functions. That's why there was a split in the first place.

Succinct and exactly correct.

Thanks, Kick.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    AN and AI are two differents places (like Kickaha said). At first the split was related to a problem of leadership. Then the two forums tend to become different with the time, following the natural evolution.

For PO, the staff of AN did not wanted to repeat the problems encountered in the old AI. More than 50 % of the problems of moderations, come from politic and religion. I respect this opinion, even if I appreciate the space of liberty presented by PO here.