Nehalem MacBook Pros... When?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I've got to make a decision by the end of Apple's 'buy a notebook and get a free iPod' promotion on whether to buy my son a new macbook with a free iPod and keep my 2.16 MBP or, give him my 2.16 MBP and wait a little while for a Nehalem MBP for me.

Anybody have an idea as to when the MBP will get the Nehalem chip?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    The mobile version of Nehalem isn't coming until the middle of next year, the high end desktop versions are coming in October:

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/08/20/...ng-next-month/

The quad mobile version of the Core 2 architecture is out this week though:

http://www.ditii.com/2008/08/21/inte...ryn-quad-core/

A refresh is right around the corner. I would not buy a Macbook just now. The promotional offer will probably end when the new models are released - if the update wasn't significant, getting the free ipod makes sense. This should be a pretty decent update with redesigned enclosures.

I would suggest waiting. The update should arrive in 2-3 weeks.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

I've got to make a decision by the end of Apple's 'buy a notebook and get a free iPod' promotion on whether to buy my son a new macbook with a free iPod and keep my 2.16 MBP or, give him my 2.16 MBP and wait a little while for a Nehalem MBP for me.

Anybody have an idea as to when the MBP will get the Nehalem chip?

Stick with the 2.16 ghz MBP. That's what I have as well. Seems like the owners of MBPs with the NVIDIA gpus are have more problems than those of us with the ATI gpus. There plenty of posts in the Mac Achaia with MBP owners complaining about graphics issues. It's not certain that all these issues can be attributed to the NVIDIA gpus but I would wait it out and see where Apple goes with gpus on the MBP.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple switch gpus with the next MBP back to ATI so that they can have a more reliable machine.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The mobile version of Nehalem isn't coming until the middle of next year, the high end desktop versions are coming in October:

If I read right, it looks like Intel won't release a mobile Nehalem until it can do so on a 32nm manufacturing process. That puts it squarely into "one year from now" territory.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Wow. I don't want to wait that long. Thanks for the info Marvin.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

If I read right, it looks like Intel won't release a mobile Nehalem until it can do so on a 32nm manufacturing process. That puts it squarely into "one year from now" territory.

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, I can't wait a year.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Stick with the 2.16 ghz MBP. That's what I have as well. Seems like the owners of MBPs with the NVIDIA gpus are have more problems than those of us with the ATI gpus. There plenty of posts in the Mac Achaia with MBP owners complaining about graphics issues. It's not certain that all these issues can be attributed to the NVIDIA gpus but I would wait it out and see where Apple goes with gpus on the MBP.

I've heard this before. But, it looks like I'll have to wait a year before thinking about GPU types.

I do have a slight issue with my display. Every once in a while, after I boot up, the screen is sort of a bluesish tint. It goes away if I launch the system prefs and click on the display button. Not a big issue to me as it's very infrequent and as long as it always goes away.

Thanks for the reply.