Orange Poland shops allegedly creating fake iPhone 3G queues

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ezzy View Post

I went to the Apple store in Newport Beach, CA, yesterday to buy my son the new iPhone for his birthday. I was THIRD in line. It took them ONE HOUR to get to me. By the time they did, there were 2 other people behind me. Unlike Orange Poland, Apple has figured out how to maintain a line and not pay any one a dime. I am still angry about it. Apple, if you're trying to really P.O. your customers, you are doing a fine job. Consider me pissed.

-From a 15 year Apple fan. Now EX-Apple fan. I only hope the press picks up on this B.S.

How many people were serving / processing the contracts?

At my local O2 store it took between 20 and 40 minutes to process contracts for new mobiles, including the iPhone and that was last week. Apparently the systems are still running slow at O2 and causing issues with delays for credit checks etc.

If they only had one person processing the contracts at the Apple store then this would explain the delay?

Edited: Actually, come to think about it if you are stating that you had to wait for an hour to be served they must have had only one person processing the iPhone contracts as I find it hard to believe that it would take 1 hour to process a single contract! (or in this case 2 members of staff an hour to process one each)
  • Reply 22 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

....with their dropped calls and all.

Talking of which ...

I just added one of those stick on reception boosters from iTenna, can't see any difference so far. Anyone else had any success with reception boosting (this on iPhone Mk I) of any kind?
  • Reply 23 of 28
    Quote:

I went to the Apple store in Newport Beach, CA, yesterday to buy my son the new iPhone for his birthday. I was THIRD in line. It took them ONE HOUR to get to me. By the time they did, there were 2 other people behind me. Unlike Orange Poland, Apple has figured out how to maintain a line and not pay any one a dime. I am still angry about it. Apple, if you're trying to really P.O. your customers, you are doing a fine job. Consider me pissed.

-From a 15 year Apple fan. Now EX-Apple fan. I only hope the press picks up on this B.S.

Lay the blame on AT&T, where it belongs. They're the ones that insisted on having all phones activated in-store this time around. Apple would have been more than happy to sell phones as fast as they could and have people activate at home via iTunes, but AT&T was pissed about the number of 1st-gen iPhones that were being jailbroken and used on other carriers -- they weren't willing to let that happen this time around.

There was a reason why the process for buying and activating the 1st-gen iPhone was completely different from all other AT&T activations -- it was a process that was designed by Apple. They sold a non-subsidized phone that people could take home and activate using iTunes. Not a perfect process, but at least Apple could get phones out the door as fast as people could pay for them. This time around, the phone was sold and activated on AT&T's terms. So you can thank AT&T for making it a giant pain in the buttinski.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Quote:

I hear you on this. After all the talk of extended hours and extra sales people, I'm still seeing lines at Apple stores. Are the lines artificial like the Poland story? I doubt it, but I do believe that some Apple store managers are doing what they can to create lines. They're clearly not breaking a sweat trying to get customers finished quickly. It's similar to the velvet rope scenario in front of a popular club.

Does anyone have any first hand info to share on this?
  • Reply 25 of 28
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Talking of which ...

I just added one of those stick on reception boosters from iTenna, can't see any difference so far. Anyone else had any success with reception boosting (this on iPhone Mk I) of any kind?

I don't see how a sticker like that can improve reception. I think it's a lot more likely to be a scam.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I went to the Apple store in Newport Beach, CA, yesterday to buy my son the new iPhone for his birthday. I was THIRD in line. It took them ONE HOUR to get to me.

It's not widely promoted, but the easy way to avoid a line is to order it at the AT&T store if there is one that is easy to get to you. When it comes in, they call you. Then you walk in and claim it. The sign-up process is still very inefficient, something like 20+ minutes. It seems to be about twice as long as the process was buying phones at Best Buy.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

I WANT IPHONES IN MOBISTAR STORES (that would be Orange in Belgium) INSTEAD OF FAKE QUEUES IN POLAND.

Does Orange really want to pi$% off their premium customers (or potentials) ?

100% agree. Because I'm pissed I couldn't get one when I was in Belgium a few weeks ago.

Maybe Mobistar couldn't decide on whether the iPhone 3G should be sold default at French language setting or Dutch...

Wish you all the best, I am also now in an iPhone-less country... But luckily I have an iPhone 3G...
  • Reply 28 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

looking @ polish average wages these monthly rates are extemly HIGH!!!!

During my visit to Poland last month I did show my iPhone 3G to my friends. They all liked it very much and planned to buy one immediately when it becomes available there (at that time the prices were not yet announced). I think, with the high introductory cost of the phone, they will choose to wait until the price comes down significantly. Most people in Europe use pay-as-you-go phones which means they would have to pay a premium for the phone.