Apple developers get new builds of Safari 4, Mac OS X 10.5.5

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple again used a Friday to provide its developer community with new pre-release software for testing during the weekend, including new builds of Mac OS X 10.5.5 client, Mac OS X 10.5.5 server, and Safari 4.0.

Mac OS X 10.5.5 build 9F23

People familiar with the beta releases say a fourth external build of the company's Mac OS X 10.5.5 update landed as build 9F23, which addressed three minor issues, one of which pertained to Mail.app and home directory search.

Unlike the two previous builds, 9F23 is said to contain one known issue that hampers general searching of email messages in Mail.

Mac OS X Leopard Server 10.5.5 build 9F22

Arriving alongside its client cousin was build 9F22 of Mac OS X Leopard Server, those same people say. The release bundled five fixes, bringing the total number of code corrections expected as part of Mac OS X 10.5.5 Server to nearly four dozen.

Developers testing the new version of Server were reportedly asked to focus their testing efforts on seven core areas of the operating system, including Chat Server, WebObjects, Wiki Server, and Server Admin.

Mac OS X 10.5.5 Server is on track for a release alongside Mac OS X 10.5.5 Client in coming weeks.

Safari 4.0 Developer Preview

Separately, Apple is also reported to have equipped developers with new developer previews of Safari 4.0 for Leopard (build 40A12), Tiger (build 40A8), and Windows (build 40A12).

The new version of the popular web browser is said to bake in a slew of new features for developers, including a new "develop" menu, a redesigned Web Inspector, an integrated JavaScript debugger, and a JavaScript profiler.

Those familiar with the new builds of Safari 4 say the release also includes many of the enhancements bundled into the latest versions of WebKit, which is rich in support for HTML 5.

Specifically, Safari 4.0's implementation of Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) includes support for masks, gradients, reflections, and specifying a named canvas.

Also being carried over from the latest WebKit builds is rudimentary support for the WAI-ARIA (Rich Internet Application) and cross-site XMLHttpRequest specifications.

Among the technologies supported from HTML 5 are the ability to send messages between documents, storage of data either locally or just for the user's session, the option of running web applications outside of a browser or when disconnected from the network, and canvas pixel manipulation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 70
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I would just like the simple feature of being able to sort bookmarks. It would be neat to have bookmarks on a related site indented under the main bookmark too. Bookmarks need to be rethought and enhanced.

Oh, and give me a UI solution for managing tabs finally.
  • Reply 2 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I would just like the simple feature of being able to sort bookmarks. It would be neat to have bookmarks on a related site indented under the main bookmark too. Bookmarks need to be rethought and enhanced.

You can re-organize your bookmarks. Just chose "Show All Bookmarks" under the Bookmarks menu and then you can add new folders (of a specific topic) and then put related sites into the folder or you can move things around and do just about anything you want to do. Also, play around with the Bookmark bar.
  • Reply 3 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kyranay View Post

You can re-organize your bookmarks. Just chose "Show All Bookmarks" under the Bookmarks menu and then you can add new folders (of a specific topic) and then put related sites into the folder or you can move things around and do just about anything you want to do. Also, play around with the Bookmark bar.

Right, you can do just about anything but sort. Sorting in this context doesn't mean going in and manually sorting, it means sorting in alphabetical order automatically from a menu.
  • Reply 4 of 70
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I would love to be able to label bookmark folders with colors. When you have so many bookmarks and folders, it's just you difficult to use the indenting to quickly find a folder. This has been understood for years with the web site icons in bookmarks. It's about time we could do something like that too.
  • Reply 5 of 70
    Love the latest releases of Webkit with squirrelfish, it's so freaking fast, can't wait for a stable Safari 4 to come out. Hopefully the speed improvements will be applied to the iPhone too as it would be the most noticeable.
  • Reply 6 of 70
    joedrcjoedrc Posts: 86member
    Safari 4 w00t!
  • Reply 7 of 70
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reallynotnick View Post

Love the latest releases of Webkit with squirrelfish, it's so freaking fast, can't wait for a stable Safari 4 to come out. Hopefully the speed improvements will be applied to the iPhone too as it would be the most noticeable.

Yes but it lost to tracemonkey, coming @ Firefox 3.1

Mozilla did a great leap forward in their Javascript engine. I hope Webkit Catches up as well.
  • Reply 8 of 70
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Safari 4.0 sounds amazing, in theory. In theory.
  • Reply 9 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Yes but it lost to tracemonkey, coming @ Firefox 3.1

Mozilla did a great leap forward in their Javascript engine. I hope Webkit Catches up as well.

can you show me any benchmark where tracemonkey was competed against squirrelfish.

Where is the basis for your conclusion
  • Reply 10 of 70
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new version of the popular web browser is said to bake in a slew of new features for developers, including a new "develop" menu, a redesigned Web Inspector, an integrated JavaScript debugger, and a JavaScript profiler.

These things are all in the 3.1.2 version. The profiler is nice as it shows how much bandwidth all the components of a page take up. The error console kind sucks IMO. The old one is much easier to work with. The new one just seems to randomly not show errors appearing, it's very annoying.
  • Reply 11 of 70
    A decent cookie manager in Safari 4, something like what Camino has, would be nice.
  • Reply 12 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MySchizoBuddy View Post

can you show me any benchmark where tracemonkey was competed against squirrelfish.

Where is the basis for your conclusion

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/roadm...t_lightsp.html

I haven't tried to download it. My own experience with FF3.0 and the WebKit with squirrlefish is that squirrlefish was notably faster, but not this much.

I like the competition, too. I wish Safari would feel the competitive urge to implement an add-on system like FF has.
  • Reply 13 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benfischer View Post

I haven't tried to download it. My own experience with FF3.0 and the WebKit with squirrlefish is that squirrlefish was notably faster, but not this much.

I like the competition, too. I wish Safari would feel the competitive urge to implement an add-on system like FF has.

Thanks, but no PPC support (yet?) which would be the computers I want the extra speed on. "We have, right now, x86, x86-64, and ARM support in TraceMonkey."

And I really don't care for add-ons, I did at first and that's why I switched to FF but I found most of my add-ons where just to make FF look more like Safari The only thing I really care about is downthemall! to help speed up downloads. I know some people like ad-blockers but I always think websites look weird when they are not there as it can screw up the formating.

Glad to see FF is starting to speed up though.
  • Reply 14 of 70
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

There is a work-around:

Open Bookmarks, Select All and copy all your Bookmarks, and then Paste them in an empty folder on your desktop.

As you will see, all your bookmarks are now in alphabetical order.

Simply now Select All and Copy your sorted Bookmarks.

Go back to Safari, delete you previous order, and Paste in the newly sorted Bookmarks.
  • Reply 15 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

There is a work-around:

Open Bookmarks, Select All and copy all your Bookmarks, and then Paste them in an empty folder on your desktop.

As you will see, all your bookmarks are now in alphabetical order.

Simply now Select All and Copy your sorted Bookmarks.

Go back to Safari, delete you previous order, and Paste in the newly sorted Bookmarks.

But the original poster wrote: "I would just like the simple feature..."
  • Reply 16 of 70
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Like last time, you can download this new release of Safari from ADC. Just downloaded and installed it and it seems to be going well . .
  • Reply 17 of 70
    guestguest Posts: 112member
    Hope they'll fix this hang-ups in Safari. When I get into media rich sites Safari just stops to load, its not even talking to the html-interface of my wireless router and I have to close and reopen Safari.
  • Reply 18 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benfischer View Post

no where on that page is squirrelfish or webkit even mentioned. the benchmark is between firefox 3 and tracemonkey,

So back to my original question.
  • Reply 19 of 70
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Squid View Post

A decent cookie manager in Safari 4, something like what Camino has, would be nice.

Want don't you like about the Safari Cookie manager?
  • Reply 20 of 70
    maniamania Posts: 104member
    Its so hard to use a browser without Adblock Plus anymore...