What's with the IPhone backup = forever

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I'm not impressed with syncing my iPhone anymore. Its gone to completely ridiculously long sync times, so long that I have to cancel it. 45minutes to 3hours is ludicrous. I might as well never sync again.

I'm not the only one:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....98922&tstart=0

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....5898&tstart=30

etc..

Anyone think apple will fix this soon, or is this the way its going to be? It's very pathetic.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I noticed this too. It was so bad for me that I restored and repwn'd it again.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    iphone91iphone91 Posts: 98member
    I have fond that as long as I back up often, each back up doesn't take to long. My strategy: Connect the iPhone, sync it, go have dinner, and when you come back it will be done!

Steve
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone91 View Post

I have fond that as long as I back up often, each back up doesn't take to long. My strategy: Connect the iPhone, sync it, go have dinner, and when you come back it will be done!

Steve

You shouldn't need a damn strategy. It's bad design. It needs to work like Time Machine and just back up the changes.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Mine takes approx a minute, maybe 2 minutes to backup and sync.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    tutumiles1tutumiles1 Posts: 115member
    Mine takes a long time as well... I have not been able to do one sync without it taking 2 hours.... Absolutely terrible.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    drevildrevil Posts: 24member
    I have the 8GB with about 4GB in use and it only takes me 1-2 minutes to back up. My friend has the 16GB and I was shocked at how long it took to back up. It wasn't two hours, but it was a good 30-40 minutes, which is ridiculous. My friend said that you can cancel the back-up and it will still sync, so if you're in a time crunch, that's the easiest way to do it.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Mine backs up so quickly! I have an 8GB version.

Are you maybe using the iPhone connected to a USB 1.1 port, either on your Mac/PC or via a hub?? USB 2 is infintely faster!
  • Reply 8 of 16
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    It seems to be the apps that take a long time. They seem to be backed up to iTunes every time.

Do people who are getting long back-up times have lots of apps, and people who are getting shorter times have few apps?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

It seems to be the apps that take a long time. They seem to be backed up to iTunes every time.

Do people who are getting long back-up times have lots of apps, and people who are getting shorter times have few apps?

Yeah.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    drevildrevil Posts: 24member
    The friend I was referring to with the 16GB has about the same number of apps as I have, all about the same size too. We use the same kind of Macbook to sync with. The only real difference in content is that she has many more music files on hers. Still, as she pointed out, it would be faster to just put the songs on the iPhone again rather than wait for it to back up.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    macaloymacaloy Posts: 104member
    I restored my phone today and had it take 10 minutes to backup once I got my phone up running again

Seems to get quicker though the more I did it thankfully
  • Reply 12 of 16
    I have written a small Windows program called "iPhone Backup Switch". The program will allow you to enable and disable the iPhone backup feature in iTunes. I have tested it pretty well in Windows XP and VISTA. There is a backup feature that will backup the iTunes configuration and let you restore a previous version, if something goes wrong. Comes complete with installer and uninstaller.

Download it here.

Spread the word please!
  • Reply 13 of 16
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

I'm not impressed with syncing my iPhone anymore. Its gone to completely ridiculously long sync times, so long that I have to cancel it. 45minutes to 3hours is ludicrous. I might as well never sync again.

I'm not the only one:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....98922&tstart=0

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....5898&tstart=30

etc..

Anyone think apple will fix this soon, or is this the way its going to be? It's very pathetic.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....98363&tstart=0

Check the post by "geauxracerx" about half way down the page. His solution has worked for me so far. Backup times are now around 1-3 minutes long.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SurfRat View Post

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....98363&tstart=0

Check the post by "geauxracerx" about half way down the page. His solution has worked for me so far. Backup times are now around 1-3 minutes long.

Thanks, I'm trying that right now. I'll be back with kisses

Though I can see this process taking a long, long, long time. 49 apps being removed, and 15 minutes has already passed.

EDIT:

I just finished climbing Everest, syncing still takes ages.

Surfrat... meet me in the alley - I must slap you \
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Ok so maybe you were right. After spending ages and ages and ages getting this sorted...... syncing now (with zero podcast updates) takes 2 minutes

Ya-fucking-who!!!
  • Reply 16 of 16
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Ok so maybe you were right. After spending ages and ages and ages getting this sorted...... syncing now (with zero podcast updates) takes 2 minutes

Ya-fucking-who!!!