Apple and Audi collaboration.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Call it a hunch, but I have a strong suspicion that Apple and Audi are getting together on a major project... and to be honest it doesn't really come as much of a surprise to me. With Audis reputation for always pushing forward to achieve the best "in-car interfaces" in the business and Apple's status as being one of the best in the business for their interface designs, I would only expect something like this to materialize in a matter of time. Rumors began months ago when word got out that Audi Chairman Martin Winterkorn and Steve Jobs were getting together to brainstorm ideas.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-97...&subj=NewsBlog

On top of that, Apple commonly references many companies that they enjoy working with in their ads, keynote presentations and demonstrations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnjV0QGpwT0

And what was really the clincher for me, was Audis reciprocation of their support for Apple, as they recently launched the first application made by a car company. And then on-top of that they made a correlating iPhone A4 experience website. That one really made me do a double take ... like, wtf? Seriously, why the heck would Audi release an application for the iPhone of? Marketing? Doubt it... seriously. I believe Audi did it as a kind business gesture to Apple to show their allegiance and support. And Audi's remarks on the topic tell you what direction the company is headed:

“The iPhone is an ideal platform to help introduce the entirely new Audi A4 to the public,” said Scott Keogh, chief marketing officer, Audi of America. “Audi customers are smart, sophisticated and technologically savvy. As a brand, we are committed to progress and innovation at every turn. We’re very excited to be the first automotive manufacturer to connect with our audience through the iPhone.”

http://www.autospies.com/news/Audi-R...acturer-33860/

So what does this all mean?

I envision something along the lines of an interface completely based on touch in the up and coming Audi vehicles. An interface that handles, navigation, heating, cooling, media and incoming calls through one stream lined screen. Your car will have a version of iTunes programmed into the internal hard drive direct from the factory. Music will sync to your car, and so will your contacts and possibly even calendar. Apples assistance will help Audi eclipse the competition as they look to continue their growth towards being the number one selling luxury car in the world.

http://www.autospies.com/news/Audi-s...fiction-20469/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Very interesting. Still, I'd be surprised if this became, like, a reality.

Though it's not as if the iDrive doesn't need help, it's a bit of a disaster. As Guy Kawasaki said; you need to be thought how to use the thing for 10 minutes before you can change the radio station, i.e. it's over-engineered. Audi make some of the best cars on the planet, it would be a match made in heaven. We can dream.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Well, didn't Apple and Volkswagen explore some kind of joint collaboration? Audi and Volkswagen are part of the same conglomerate.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

Well, didn't Apple and Volkswagen explore some kind of joint collaboration? Audi and Volkswagen are part of the same conglomerate.

Well so the rumor goes. This could be just concept stuff guys, don't hold your breath for this to appear in mass produced VW's or Audis.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Well so the rumor goes. This could be just concept stuff guys, don't hold your breath for this to appear in mass produced VW's or Audis.

Point well taken. Still, I can't help but hope that there is an in-car unit in the works. Something that integrates the iPod line into the automobile. Can you imagine a head unit that tethers to an iPhone in such a way to provide internet connectivity, GPS and media integration into an in-car entertainment unit?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Very interesting. Still, I'd be surprised if this became, like, a reality.

Though it's not as if the iDrive doesn't need help, it's a bit of a disaster. As Guy Kawasaki said; you need to be thought how to use the thing for 10 minutes before you can change the radio station, i.e. it's over-engineered. Audi make some of the best cars on the planet, it would be a match made in heaven. We can dream.

whether iDrive is a disaster or not is irrelevant-the post is about Audi not BMW-Audi's system is called MMI and is widely regarded as easier to use and very intuitive
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

Point well taken. Still, I can't help but hope that there is an in-car unit in the works. Something that integrates the iPod line into the automobile. Can you imagine a head unit that tethers to an iPhone in such a way to provide internet connectivity, GPS and media integration into an in-car entertainment unit?

I can. I can imagine a lot, but that's the problem. It's too easy to imagine and not easy enough to make this shit become a reality.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Okay ... so yet again I post more evidence of an Apple and Audi collaboration. I pretty much did a double today take when Steve Jobs started talking about how car manufactures were including iPod integration into their new models ... and then.... of course.... what other car brand appears on the screen? Audi.

I haven't seen more cross endorsements of two completely unrelated brands ... ever. But are they unrelated? I don't think they will be for long.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

Okay ... so yet again I post more evidence of an Apple and Audi collaboration. I pretty much did a double today take when Steve Jobs started talking about how car manufactures were including iPod integration into their new models ... and then.... of course.... what other car brand appears on the screen? Audi.

Seriously, you know that's zero evidence right?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

It certainly doesn't prove anything, but I wouldn't discount it as "zero evidence" either.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Maybe it's not "evidence", but it has also crossed my mind that there appears to be some kind of relationship brewing here. The cross-product placements are very prominent. I can't seem to link right to it because it is flash-based, but if one goes to the site for the new US version of the A4:

http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/n...s/Audi_A4.html

Click on "Media Gallery"

Click on "Interior"

First shot features the iPhone. Noticed an iPhone in a couple other places on the site too.

Also, I don't own one, but from what I've seen, Audi's MMI systems already provides iPod/iPhone integration that is far beyond anything else going. Your entire library shows up on the car's screen and can be navigated from the steering wheel controls.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Guy's it's no evidence. It won't happen for a long time, deal with it.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Guy's it's no evidence. It won't happen for a long time, deal with it.

Not sure where you get the authority to be so dogmatic. I hate to have break it to ya bud, but you're in the dark just as much as we are when it comes to future hardware. Deal with it.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    However, we do know this: Apple loves getting into big markets. Thats why when it came time to choose an industry to get involved in beyond computers they chose music. Its a huge industry. And after that, of course the cellphone industry. What's that at like somewhere around 1 billion cellphones produced annually? So what other industries would Apple be likely to get involved in next? Well, we all know that computers are becoming increasingly integral in automobiles and what do ya know... oh yeah, the automotive industry is freakin huge! 70mil+ automobiles produced annually in the world. And on top of that Audi is the fastest growing luxury brand in the world. VW who owns Audi is the third largest manufacturer of cars on the planet Earth. Huge opportunities for growth? Yeah, I think Apple might want a slice of that pie. (NPI)