Apple should "borrow" this XP feature.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm not sure if this is a new Windows feature or not, but the Hibernation mode in shut down is cool beans. I love that you can save the computes state, and start up in about 10 seconds.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 2 of 16
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by popstar92:

<strong>I'm not sure if this is a new Windows feature or not, but the Hibernation mode in shut down is cool beans. I love that you can save the computes state, and start up in about 10 seconds.</strong><hr></blockquote>

how is this any different from deep sleep?

oh and deep sleep wakes in 1 second
  • Reply 3 of 16
    In hibernation the CPU actually shuts down.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Apple has had this ability since the smurf G3's, IIRC, but abandoned it because of voltage bugs. I wonder if they've considered fixing it up recently for OSX?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by popstar92:

<strong>In hibernation the CPU actually shuts down.</strong><hr></blockquote>

same in deep sleep
  • Reply 6 of 16
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

same in deep sleep</strong><hr></blockquote>

Is deep sleep what happens when I close the clamshell on my iBook?

Way OT, but, the hibernate thing in WInME sucks balls. It takes longer to start up than if you were to start from a cold boot and only works half the time. But that is ME. I swear, ME was a scam by MS to force people to upgrade to XP. I wanted my girlfriend's computer to have 98 on it but Dell wouldn't let her. So now she's either stuck with a really bad OS or she has to upgrade
  • Reply 7 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>

</strong><hr></blockquote>

yes
  • Reply 8 of 16
    I thought sleep was a sham in OS X. That is you put it into "deep sleep" and find your batteries dead 4 hour later. Has this been fixed?

[ 02-19-2002: Message edited by: Scott H. ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 16
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I don't know about deep sleep, but in hibernation mode the RAM contents at the time of shutdown are saved to the hard drive and simply reloaded upon startup.

The computer is shut down entirely. Nothing is running, nada.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    I remember after the iBooks were announced, but before they came out, I saw this feature at MWSF. The iBooks were running some prerelease version of the Mac OS and, in addition to shutdown and sleep, they had the options of something like "Save and shutdown" or "Save and sleep". The latter, I'm assuming, is to save power from having to power RAM on Powerbooks. I don't know why Apple didn't implement it in the final release...
  • Reply 11 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>I thought sleep was a sham in OS X. That is you put it into "deep sleep" and find your batteries dead 4 hour later. Has this been fixed?

[ 02-19-2002: Message edited by: Scott H. ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

powerbook g4 has been sleeping for a day or 2 now and has lost maybe 10-20% battery. not bad. OS 9 gets better for some reason.

[quote]I don't know about deep sleep, but in hibernation mode the RAM contents at the time of shutdown are saved to the hard drive and simply reloaded upon startup.

The computer is shut down entirely. Nothing is running, nada. <hr></blockquote>

deep sleep basically does the exact same thing but I think in OS X it keeps the ram powered. not completely sure. I've heard yes and no.

[quote]I remember after the iBooks were announced, but before they came out, I saw this feature at MWSF. The iBooks were running some prerelease version of the Mac OS and, in addition to shutdown and sleep, they had the options of something like "Save and shutdown" or "Save and sleep". The latter, I'm assuming, is to save power from having to power RAM on Powerbooks. I don't know why Apple didn't implement it in the final release... <hr></blockquote>

It was implemented in some of the Sonata builds. It was never released publicly because it caused data corruption. probably hardware related which is why it was never fixed
  • Reply 12 of 16
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    This is basically what VPC can do. BeOS I believe also used to do it. It is basically just saving the RAM to the HD.

For some reason OS 9 at least had faults when doing it but it is something MS has stolen from other people anyway

Deep sleep is fine. It is near identical except it keeps the RAM powered and a couple other things. I don't use laptops though so I can't comment on any faults there.

Downside I have found with deep sleep is it shuts off my ethernet and forces a restart to get back my network connection (actually it will reestablish itself but it can take up to 5 minutes).
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Actually, the feature I would most like to see borrowed from XP is the ability to log out without shutting down the programs in your workspace. In Windows XP... if I'm in the middle of writing a paper or doing my accounting, and my gf needs to use VectorWorks for about 30 minutes... I can logout without shutting down my currently running programs, and someone else can log in with their own account and launch their own apps, all without interrupting mine. I believe Microsoft refers to it as 'Changing Users' as opposed to logging out.

I think this would be most helpful...

-j4
  • Reply 14 of 16
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    I agree with Jack. My fiancee is always borrowing my TiBook to look something up on the web or write her mother some email or something. As it stands, either I have to stop everything I am doing, or I end up with all her bookmarks mixed in with mine and all sorts of outgoing mail saved in my mailbox and I have to put it someplace to get it out of my way and then she is bugging me about where her book marks are... Things would be a lot easier if we could "change users" and everything would be just like she left it, and then change back and everything would be just like I left it.

Actually, does anybody know of a program that does this?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>

Way OT, but, the hibernate thing in WInME sucks balls. It takes longer to start up than if you were to start from a cold boot and only works half the time. But that is ME. I swear, ME was a scam by MS to force people to upgrade to XP. I wanted my girlfriend's computer to have 98 on it but Dell wouldn't let her. So now she's either stuck with a really bad OS or she has to upgrade </strong><hr></blockquote>

Windows 98 and Windows ME are both viruses. If you have them, I suggest disinfecting the computers immediately with a fresh copy of Win2k Pro.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    neomacneomac Posts: 145member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>I thought sleep was a sham in OS X. That is you put it into "deep sleep" and find your batteries dead 4 hour later. Has this been fixed?

[ 02-19-2002: Message edited by: Scott H. ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

This was a problem with OSX that has since been fixed. The original release of OSX was really horrible in my opinion. Tnx god for 10.1.